Suggestions before I finish this song? genre: probably prog-trance-ish

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi. I'm making my first ever "dance" song. It might be progressive trance, but I'm still unsure of the genre differences in EDM. Anyway it obviously isn't finished, and my main question is: does it make at least a decent dance track, or am I totally off the track? Next" isn't it too cluttered, and should I make it longer or is 6 minutes enough? Any other suggestions are welcome as well. It's got only basic mixing, and limiter slapped at master for volume at this point. For any feedback thanks in advance. Again sorry for my poor english.
https://soundcloud.com/vertlain/rnr3f/s-ZEvhb
Music, just like tortilla, is no fun without a bit of "cheese". :clown:
soundcloud.com/vertlain

Don't give a shit of genres ...
It´s the flow and the ideas and the feeling.
The music itself defines its lengths !
It`s finished when it´s finished.

Nice warm quality of the kick.
Get the melody lines more upfront
and try to achieve the same warmth.

The Outro here only applies when DJing,
otherwise get rid of it.

(( D ))

That bad, eh? Again I find myself wondering about how much my music taste is different than that of majority. Anyway thank you for your comment Drumity. The track is finished, not sure about warmth, but I tried to calm down some resonant frequencies. The outro is gotten rid of as suggested.
https://soundcloud.com/vertlain/rnr3f-1
soundcloud.com/vertlain

Some of the elements of the first track COULD be brought up in volume. But I don't find the track all that bad. I do think it needs more melodic movement. The kick does kind of stand out and distracts from everything else. But this is easily corrected. All in all, really not that bad. Just bring up that melody a bit.

** EDIT ** The remix is a little better but still needs some work. You're getting there.

I really liked the track. However, for me the Kick is a bit too loud. It stops me enjoying the music underneath, which is a lot more interesting than I'd thought it would be :tu:

Vertlain wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:18 pm That bad, eh?
No !
I didn´t say it´s bad !
Quite the opposite, but if you don't like constructive criticism,
that's ok for me.

(( D ))

Vertlain wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:18 pmAgain I find myself wondering about how much my music taste is different than that of majority.
Really? I've listened to a few pieces on your Soundcloud page, today, and I liked everything I heard. You actually cover a lot of styles really well, and my preference is actually for your Synthwave and Soundtrack work, more than what you've presented here (I liked this, also).

All that to say, that with such a diverse oeuvre your music tastes are eventually going to match with a diverse range of people :tu:

Ok, so I updated the song with slightly less kick. It was a sad process, because it's my first really kicky(?) song, so I got attached to it's happy kicking. Also I mangled a bit with EQ-ing for instruments clarity. Not sure if it sounds better with my crappy hearing and poor monitors, but it surely is brighter now.
drumity wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 4:42 pm I didn´t say it´s bad !
Quite the opposite, but if you don't like constructive criticism,
that's ok for me.
I wasn't referring to your comment then, but rather to absolute lack of interest/feedback whatsoever. I do appreciate constructive criticism. :help:
el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 4:58 pm with such a diverse oeuvre your music tastes are eventually going to match with a diverse range of people
Not exactly, in any genre I try to operate, I usually end up with something on the odd side, shifting out of safe zone. It confuses people... Anyway as long as I like what I'm doing it's probably ok, but fanbase would be nice addition, and morale boost. ;)
el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 4:58 pm Really? I've listened to a few pieces on your Soundcloud page, today, and I liked everything I heard
Listening to some of your tracks I might risk a statement that maybe you're not of the majority :P

Once again thank you for all the suggestions.
soundcloud.com/vertlain

Sounds fantastic to me. Took me right back to the Global Underground Digweed/Oakenfold days in 2002.
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

Vertlain wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 2:57 pm
el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 4:58 pm with such a diverse oeuvre your music tastes are eventually going to match with a diverse range of people
Not exactly, in any genre I try to operate, I usually end up with something on the odd side, shifting out of safe zone. It confuses people... Anyway as long as I like what I'm doing it's probably ok, but fanbase would be nice addition, and morale boost. ;)
This is where I agree with drumity, with regard to genres i.e screw 'em. I get that if you want to market your music it can be important to 'play the game', but if you end up having to stifle your musicality/vision, then things can start going south :scared:
Vertlain wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 2:57 pm
el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 4:58 pm Really? I've listened to a few pieces on your Soundcloud page, today, and I liked everything I heard
Listening to some of your tracks I might risk a statement that maybe you're not of the majority :P
Not really sure what that means :scared:

Definitely seems better balanced now. If I was being picky (Which I guess I am), the organ that comes in at 2:33 could do with not being so loud/forward. Otherwise, I think it's a great track :tu:

Vertlain wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:18 pm That bad, eh? Again I find myself wondering about how much my music taste is different than that of majority.
Why wondering about your taste and vision ?
There are people here which change their songs endless times after different comments ...
That´s so low and has nothing to do with artistic confidence and is imo a lack of artistic vision and artistic right to exist.
If I let a song out, than I worked hard for month or even longer and no comment will make me change that song just a hair !!
It´s my vision, my taste, my heart etc. and comments are welcome and I am always hungry to learn something.
So if someone has a point, I am happy to go into it and change things THE NEXT TIME.
To come back to it, changing a song multiple times after put it out and got some comments on it, shows only that person has no confidence and not seldom no skill at all. Just say "Thanks for your feedback. I agree /not agree".
I appreciate you taken comments serious, but put them in your "How-I-Get-Better"-box and move forward.
Vertlain wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:18 pmAnyway thank you for your comment Drumity.
Why "anyway" ? Just appreciate that someone took his precious time to help you out and don´t downgrade this offer by saying " Anyway ...."

I think you are on a good path, so don´t stop to be hungry, the will to learn, the ambition to get better and all will fall in place !
The things just mentioned are unfortunately decrasing with people, I see that everyday in my job as tutor, professor, motivation coach and not least as musician and producer.
All the best ! :-)

(( D ))

Return to “Music Cafe”