sonicLAB Cosmosf FX7

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Does anyone use Cosmos FX and could share with us his or her impressions and experience with this effect plugin? I´ve always wondered about what it does exactly with the input signal of different audio sources.

I absolutely have no idea what stochastic audio processor means and the few videos on YT don´t really show a clear picture of it.

I've been wondering as well but most posts seem to be similar. Intrigue combined with utter confusion.

Hey!

'stochastic' in this case means, that the grain events (onset, length, number), their pitch, their velocity and many variables more follow stochastic functions.

example: regarding number of events in a certain amount of time, an even distribution means that all numbers from 0 to the value you specify occur equally often, an gaussian distributions means that extreme values are way more unlikely than values around the mean, poisson distributions means that low numbers occur very much more often than high numbers etc.

this principle, with many more stochastic functions and the possibility to define important values in these functions, is applied to the grain events, to their filtering, FX (delay, reverb, ring mod, resonator) etc etc

There is the possibility to apply sieves and line generators to some variables as well.

This is all inspired by Xenakis and his Stochastic Music. Which i recommend listeing to and reading about, if you are interested in this topic.

Do you need to know all this (and in way more depth) to work with cosmosfx? If you do not want to rely on luck in operating the plugin: yes.

Are there other grainfx/synth, which produce similar results when you do not have the theoretical background: yes.

Is there another plugin, which produces the same results if you apply all these theory: outside of sc, csound: not that i am aware of.

i use it since 2014 and am a very happy costumer. great support, fair upgrade pricing (often no cost at all), Sinan really works hard and implements a ton of features on every update.

this album was done almost entirely with the cosmosF Synth.
https://irrlichtrecords.bandcamp.com/album/psychomachia

kind regards, Daniel

I am also very keen but do not think my PC will handle the computational load. So I would like to hear people's experiences with that. And I will try the demo. But I love the sinewave manipulation video.

Nihilith wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 6:38 am I use it since 2014 and am a very happy costumer. great support, fair upgrade pricing (often no cost at all), Sinan really works hard and implements a ton of features on every update.
What's your favourite costume?

I jest.. i jest :lol:

anyways I've had my eye on this and it looks pretty interesting. However It looks like it has a mind of it's own.
:borg:

V0RT3X wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:32 am
Nihilith wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 6:38 am I use it since 2014 and am a very happy costumer. great support, fair upgrade pricing (often no cost at all), Sinan really works hard and implements a ton of features on every update.
What's your favourite costume?

I jest.. i jest :lol:

anyways I've had my eye on this and it looks pretty interesting. However It looks like it has a mind of it's own.
https://media1.tenor.com/images/48668b2 ... /tenor.gif

:D

back on topic: yes, cosmosf(x) can get out of hand quite quickly or turn dead silent, but if you invest some time and read the manual carefully it is a very rewarding plugin, imo.

demo is a bit annoying - the burst of white noise is too frequent and too loud for me to spend much time with it . Also I don't think the gui is resizable, which is a problem as there is a lot in there.

Return to “Effects”