ReFx Nexus 3 (N3) Finally here!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Nexus

Vertion wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 1:16 am I think romplers scare people away. Where the line of creative recycling and ripping off someone’s work is vague. It takes away the locus of control from “I made this myself, I am a creator” down to “I used this cool thing someone else made and copied it”.

Perhaps N3 will provide oscillators or ways to make the samples feel more intrinsically personalized.
I give props to those who design their own sounds. Don't know if romplers scaring people away is how I'd describe it. People either love them or hate them. For me, I may not be the creator of the individual sound but I'm the creator of the song and that's good enough for me and it helps pay the bills.
Lots of composers use romplers because it helps speed up the music making process and
if you have to write lots of music to keep the royalties coming in that's a big deal.
I don't think any less of anybody who chooses a different path than I do. That's the beauty of the whole music thing. There's plenty of room for whatever you want to do or use to do it. Doesn't make you more or less than the next guy.
That said,Nexus is a good rompler but I always use it with other synths I can do low level editing on. Looking forward to Nexus3.

Oh, look! Old volcano awakening! Ordering mandatory evacuation! I do not agree with the pricing that discriminates against older customers who over the years spent a lot of money paying for ridiculously expansive expansions. So if I spent $1000 and a new guy just bought Nexus 2, he should get $50 discount because- why exactly?

I would not hope for Black Friday deal. The only deal this company ever offers is for Christmas. This is when they start singing Christmas Carrols and hanging a cat upside down on their web site. Not much CPU power for the Nexus, because it all spent to supporting that Snow graphics that comes up every year. And- forget about opening these secret icons daily- there are no more discount codes.

I would give you $100 on top of what I already paid if you, please, get rid of stupid "dangle." I barely seen modern synth that can be only installed on one machine. I have 2 computers. I have Nexus and expansions installed on 2 computers. Without dongle, Nexus reposts to be "unproperly installed" and often crashes VST scanner. If I dont move dongle, it gives me errors every time VST scanner stumbles on it. Due to moving my dongle back and force, it broke- the plastic came off, the electronic got exposed, now- I can't move the dongle that easy, so I have to deal with crashes due to it being installed without license. Also control center fails to do maintenance unless it is frequently updated, which requires a trip to their website and installation of updated version. I want to be able to install on 2 machines, which are both my! There is no way, I would be willing to buy 2 copies of license and then buy all expansions I am using twice. This is outdated model. It needs to change. Dongle is a deal breaker.

wagtunes wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 4:52 pm
steve.lindqvist wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 4:37 pm
wagtunes wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 4:32 pm I assume if you own Avenger, Nexus would be redundant?
I wouldn't say that. I used to own Avenger but it was too CPU hungry and a bit sluggish compared to Nexus and overall the expansion variety of Nexus is much bigger. Anyway as a sound designer yourself, Avenger is the much more tweak able synth of course. It simply depends on the area of application.
I guess what I was getting at is that Avenger can create anything that is inside of Nexus, assuming you know how any particular patch was created.
Avenger sounds rough and can not create some of softer synth sounds, leads and pads that were sampled from other gear/synths for Nexus.

Astralv wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 4:52 am Dongle is a deal breaker.

i would prefer dongle for nexus2 and have additional dongle for nexus3. 2 dongles better than 1. agreed?

deejay2 wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 5:14 am
Astralv wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 4:52 am Dongle is a deal breaker.

i would prefer dongle for nexus2 and have additional dongle for nexus3. 2 dongles better than 1. agreed?
I am pretty sure I saw on their facebook page, that they are considering removing the need for the dongle, so going to go down a different route for protection.
Don't trust those with words of weakness, they are the most aggressive

Loudness_Contour wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 11:07 pm This is the most interesting "feature":

"Our own online activation; no eLicenser or other 3rd party software required
Two activations at the same time per NEXUS3 license"

Can't count the time I forgot to bring my eLicenser when working on my laptop.
Well this IS interesting (in case people are wondering, this is new info added on the ReFx N3 product page). With all the hoopla of Avenger moving away from just such a system due to piracy (albeit with 3 activations), why now would ReFx move in the other direction?! It can’t be Codemeter as this is third party software.

Personally I’m very happy with this, but I don’t understand it at all.
http://www.guyrowland.co.uk
http://www.sound-on-screen.com
W10, i7 7820X, 64gb RAM, RME Babyface, 1050ti, PT 2023 Ultimate, Cubase Pro 13
Macbook Air M2 OSX 10.15

Astralv wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 4:52 am Oh, look! Old volcano awakening! Ordering mandatory evacuation! I do not agree with the pricing that discriminates against older customers who over the years spent a lot of money paying for ridiculously expansive expansions. So if I spent $1000 and a new guy just bought Nexus 2, he should get $50 discount because- why exactly?

I would not hope for Black Friday deal. The only deal this company ever offers is for Christmas. This is when they start singing Christmas Carrols and hanging a cat upside down on their web site. Not much CPU power for the Nexus, because it all spent to supporting that Snow graphics that comes up every year. And- forget about opening these secret icons daily- there are no more discount codes.

I would give you $100 on top of what I already paid if you, please, get rid of stupid "dangle." I barely seen modern synth that can be only installed on one machine. I have 2 computers. I have Nexus and expansions installed on 2 computers. Without dongle, Nexus reposts to be "unproperly installed" and often crashes VST scanner. If I dont move dongle, it gives me errors every time VST scanner stumbles on it. Due to moving my dongle back and force, it broke- the plastic came off, the electronic got exposed, now- I can't move the dongle that easy, so I have to deal with crashes due to it being installed without license. Also control center fails to do maintenance unless it is frequently updated, which requires a trip to their website and installation of updated version. I want to be able to install on 2 machines, which are both my! There is no way, I would be willing to buy 2 copies of license and then buy all expansions I am using twice. This is outdated model. It needs to change. Dongle is a deal breaker.
So much misinformation it hurts.
First of all, they had a black friday sale last year, so why wouldn't they do it again?
Second, it litterally says on their page that you no longer need an eLicenser dongle.

So that basically invalidates your whole post.

I would give you $100 on top of what I already paid if you, please, get rid of stupid "dangle."
can I send you my paypal for the $100?
I would not hope for Black Friday deal
last year was black friday deal, this year is black friday deal
So if I spent $1000 and a new guy just bought Nexus 2, he should get $50 discount because- why exactly?
because of the time frame. If you buy the Iphone 12 and on the next days the Iphone 13 comes out, the vendor will swap it usually for the newer model. If you go there with your old Iphone 3G, you wont get anything. Quite normal, Sometimes I really dont know if some KVR guys live on the same planet like the rest of us. :help:

msvs wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 7:56 am If you buy the Iphone 12 and on the next days the Iphone 13 comes out, the vendor will swap it usually for the newer model. If you go there with your old Iphone 3G, you wont get anything. Quite normal, Sometimes I really dont know if some KVR guys live on the same planet like the rest of us. :help:
Nexus and Iphones ... good match! :tu: Limited and overpriced products, yet for some unexplainable reason some people believe that owning these make them look cooler.

I've got nothing against people who write music to deadlines and need ready to use cool and trendy presets. I'm sure Nexus presets/expansions must be as cool and trendy as it gets. But there are Rapid, Avenger, Falcon and their expansions that offer basically the same thing + full customization. I really can't see why someone would choose Nexus over therse.
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

Yes I really hope Nexus 3 will not need any physical dongle...
I have Nexus 2 and NEVER use it because of the need of the eLicenser dongle...

It's sad because it sounds really good.
U N I S O N : shoegaze/electronic wall of sound with heavenly voice
https://soundcloud.com/weareunison / https://www.facebook.com/unison666 / https://weareunison.com/

then its your lucky day: Nexus 3 won't use the elicenser dongle any more. And you have 2 activations

Awesome !! :love: :love: :love: :love: :clap:

This and the fact it will be backward compatible with old expansions will assure you a great success I think ! :tu:

I already think about buying the old Dance 1 expansion with this almighty drake-ish bass called Prd Sidechain Bass :love: (I've imitated it 1000 times with many other tools but I would like to have the original one)
Last edited by Julien Unison on Wed Nov 13, 2019 8:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
U N I S O N : shoegaze/electronic wall of sound with heavenly voice
https://soundcloud.com/weareunison / https://www.facebook.com/unison666 / https://weareunison.com/

The disappearance of the dongle amazes me completely. I would have bet my life that Mr. Hartmann would never say goodbye to the dongle if you look at the often paranoid behavior of the company. This is going to be really exciting!
I just hope that my investment is secure and that in 3 months not every YouTube kid has access to the same tools for which I paid huge sums...
Anyway, bring on further new features.

Ploki wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 2:01 pm why does nexus get so much hate and omnisphere so much praise? literally the same kind of software, one targeted at cinematic and one at EDM, but both are preset-surfer romplers, not "synths" in the manner of, being a synth.
It's because Omnisphere is expensive and has no demo or trial, the vast majority of people out there cannot try it to form an opinion. Honestly the only people who talk about Omnisphere online are a loud minority that like it like a religious cult. But I know people that bought Omnisphere, and immediately didn't like the sounds, but they're not the type to post on forums to tell the world about the disappointment of their blind purchase.
Orion Platinum, Muzys 2

steve.lindqvist wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 8:51 am The disappearance of the dongle amazes me completely. I would have bet my life that Mr. Hartmann would never say goodbye to the dongle if you look at the often paranoid behavior of the company. This is going to be really exciting!
I just hope that my investment is secure and that in 3 months not every YouTube kid has access to the same tools for which I paid huge sums...
Anyway, bring on further new features.
the only reason why they go without a dongle now is clear, the reason is not because of our blue eyes but mediocre sales and complaints about dongle. I do not see any other point.
why they will not tell us straight right if wrong?
they could be more honest about it.
Last edited by deejay2 on Wed Nov 13, 2019 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Instruments”