Cubase 10.5 is here now....

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Cubase Artist 13 Cubase Elements 13 Cubase Pro 13

60-100 dollars per year isn't terrible for updates imo. It is a business after all.

VitaminD wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 2:00 am 60-100 dollars per year isn't terrible for updates imo. It is a business after all.
Agreed. I'd much prefer to support my DAW of choice with paid updates once a year for what we receive than see it disappear from financial struggles.
Click for music links... Eurotrash!
MSI z390, i7 9700k OC, Noctua Cooling, NVMe 970 Pro, 64GB 3200C16, BeQuiet PSU, W10, Cubase 13, Avenger, Spire, Nexus, iZotope, Virus TI (INTERGRATED).

Ableton is like 200 every 3 or 4 years and let’s be honest, the features they’re adding are mostly features Cubase has had for ever - save a smart tool. It’s basically Fisher Price features compared to Cubase, Cubase is in another dimension for most things except clip launching. Bitwig just added note chase and is an 169 annual fee to stay in they’re upgrade world as well. I love Bitwig and use it everyday, Cubase and Bitwig are always both open with Bitwig’s killer grid and sound design. Super underwhelmed by Ableton 10.

Yeah, you can always get deals on this stuff - crossgrades / Black Friday. Everything is a lot cheaper than it used to be. Cubase is a beast and I want them to succeed, seeing how much they’ve changed the GUI on a .5 update I bet Cubase 11 is going to be a massive overhaul. Just a guess though.

zoidkirb wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 5:41 am
reggie1979 wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 3:40 am Poor guys. They duped you? Um, this crap has been going on since .........forever! :lol:

Steiny is going to get you, BUY NOW, it will be the best!

Sorry for being so cynical, but it is what it is. Not the first dick move they've made, not the last. Does the software work for you? Then good.
it is what it is? well duh. and yes it is a sneaky move from Steinberg. I was being deliberately facetious in my post as, after all, it's only $7. Sometimes it's the little things that can sway a purchase one way or another though.
Maybe I was overly aggressive, but it is what it is. I don't think that this is a terrible ploy be steiney............ but considering the current age of imperialism, it's just more of the same.

Sorry to intrude, not trying to be a douche.

reggie1979 wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 4:44 am
zoidkirb wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 5:41 am
reggie1979 wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 3:40 am Poor guys. They duped you? Um, this crap has been going on since .........forever! :lol:

Steiny is going to get you, BUY NOW, it will be the best!

Sorry for being so cynical, but it is what it is. Not the first dick move they've made, not the last. Does the software work for you? Then good.
it is what it is? well duh. and yes it is a sneaky move from Steinberg. I was being deliberately facetious in my post as, after all, it's only $7. Sometimes it's the little things that can sway a purchase one way or another though.
Maybe I was overly aggressive, but it is what it is. I don't think that this is a terrible ploy be steiney............ but considering the current age of imperialism, it's just more of the same.

Sorry to intrude, not trying to be a douche.
it's not a terrible ploy to make a quick cash grab with a sale before giving it away with an update because they end up with extra money. it is a minor irk for the user who is spending their hard earned cash though. not the end of the world. if you play the game of upgrades and sales sometimes you might get burned 8)

mitchiemasha wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 3:02 am I'd much prefer to support my DAW of choice with paid updates once a year for what we receive than see it disappear from financial struggles.
+1 :tu:
$5 a month, $0.16 a day, not a big deal.

budweiser wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 9:35 am
mitchiemasha wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 3:02 am I'd much prefer to support my DAW of choice with paid updates once a year for what we receive than see it disappear from financial struggles.
+1 :tu:
$5 a month, $0.16 a day, not a big deal.
Sounds like a subscription! :scared:

THE INTRANCER wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 12:45 am
Googly Smythe wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:54 pm Humorous to read people suggesting changing to another DAW because Steinberg charges an upgrade fee. So, instead of paying £50 for the upgrade, just spend £400+ on a new DAW, and spend God knows how much time learning how to use it. Or get a whole new computer (£2000+) and change to Logic.
Yeah, ok.
In a week or so you can buy Studio One for less than half the retail price that it costs normally. If you're use to Cubase, then changing would really be a walk in the park if you don't otherwise need some esoteric features it has. Free .5 updates and those between major ones... You can choose upgrade whenever and on the black November period upgrade for half the cost it does normally. So you can essentially move to a DAW which is rapidly evolving from a fresh code base, whilst delivering a streamlined workflow with features that rounds out a wide range of different user bases in a similar way that Cubase has and for less.

If one has no option but to use Cubase then that's something else entirely...but the options are out there for your needs and budget.
Yup, exactly. Studio One is really carving a path, and they are steadily progressing. I just switched from Ableton to Studio One and Its excellent. I have Cubase as well, and find it to be painful to navigate and create.

On the other hand I find Cubase and Nuendo much easier to navigate and create with...especially with the type of music I do.

What continues to make me flinch however is the endless talk about money and cash grabs etc. I like to save money as much as anyone. But let’s get real, just because many users are hobbyist and don’t make money from their music doesn’t mean the devs are also in it as hobbyists. We are talking about how people make a living. The argument of a cash grab can be made for any business under the sun.

Instead of discussing how much we paid last December for something I would rather discuss how something works or doesn’t work so we can keep making music...and for some of us hopefully making money.

I have no problem with the upgrade prices, many would spend more than €60 on a night out.
However, I think that Cubase users who choose to skip a few upgrades should have the option to choose whichever upgrade they want at a later date.
For example, imagine if you chose to stay on Cubase 10.5 for 4 years after which you decide you want to upgrade only to version 11. So you pay the lesser amount for that smaller upgrade instead of paying full price for an upgrade to version 13 or whatever is out at the time.

thejonsolo wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 3:43 pm What continues to make me flinch however is the endless talk about money and cash grabs etc. I like to save money as much as anyone. But let’s get real, just because many users are hobbyist and don’t make money from their music doesn’t mean the devs are also in it as hobbyists. We are talking about how people make a living. The argument of a cash grab can be made for any business under the sun.
And developers aren't exactly cheap either. But people obviously expect software to cost nothing nowadays, it's a consequence of the internet economy shaped by Google et al, where everything is free but you pay with your personal data...

I wonder what people would say if their boss told them: "we don't want to pay you any more, you're just a greedy cash-grabbing scammer. Just work for free!"

Lets not get it twisted, Im all for upgrade costs as long as the features are innovating. When you are already an established DAW, and you are charging for features that already exist in other DAWs, then it just comes off weird to me. Studio one does things their own way, and it works. Ableton as well, and so does FL studio. I would like to see Cubase have updates that have workflow improvements not already found in other daws.

Many DAWs will do things like charge $150 for a major upgrade every two years. Cubase spreads that out to a $60 .5 upgrade, and a $100 1.X upgrade, so $160 every two years. Seems reasonable to me.

50$ for a selection tool and track colors are well spent :lol:

And it continues... Ok so I will take a bite further...

Hamburger circa 1990, $.69, same burger but called Whopper Jr., $.99. That is 30 cents for a piece of lettuce and tomato in 1990. So I walked in and ordered a hamburger with lettuce and tomato (they said I could have it my way). And they charged me, yup, you guessed it...$.99 for a Whopper Jr. Upgrades cost. Even if it is just lettuce and tomato.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”