Digital Performer 10 is now Ableton Live

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Digital Performer Live

I hope Motu will implement Mpe and midi retrospective record into DP !
Best
YY

Whywhy wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:11 am I hope Motu will implement Mpe and midi retrospective record into DP !
My guess based on Performer Lite?

We get MPE

MIDI clips in the arrangement, switchable to the old style non region based view if desired. MIDI Clips are editable like audio for the most part.

Tabs are replaced with icon buttons to the right of the Transport.

New GUI Theme

Just hope they put it out before NAMM..

I do hope the tabs are replaced by those icons, MC; they've always felt like a huge waste of space to me, and of course there's no way to disable the ones one never uses.

It's a wait and see game at this point MM, but I think it's pretty obvious that we're at least getting MIDI Clips in the arrangement, and the option to get rid of tabs.

I'm hoping for a solid update soon. I like and use other DAWs, but DP could easily win the live performance DAW award for me with a few things it can do that others cannot.

Yup to all that, MC.

I was reading the performer lite manual and I don't see anything about mpe.....
But, Performer lite is not so lite.... a lot of functionality, crazy, for 200 €, with an m2 or m4 interface :o
Best
YY

Whywhy wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 5:51 pm I was reading the performer lite manual and I don't see anything about mpe.....
But, Performer lite is not so lite.... a lot of functionality, crazy, for 200 €, with an m2 or m4 interface :o
Yeah it's crazy Lite is good enough for at least 90% of what I do. I'm trying to figure out how they differentiate DP10 after this?

Yeah I couldn't find any mention of MPE support in the manual either, but the picture clearly shows a Roli Seaboard Block. It's weird product placement considering. It's dead easy in DP10 to set up an MPE device with Create Tracks though, Lite seems to have this as well.

I have recently been leaning back towards DP from LogicPro/Cubase/S1. main reason being because of Chunks. The ability to have several different ideas that I'm working on in one project file is very useful. The GUI is getting better. If they bring loopable midi regions or clips as regions, etc.. more like the other daw's in that regard, that will be a very big selling point for me.

The other thing I wish they had is the ability to put AU/VST midi plugins into the midi fx plugin slot, which right now is limited to proprietary plugins from MOTU. Cubase is the same way. LogicPro, however, has the ability to put AU's directly into a midi fx slot in front of instruments and really if DP would add that....as well as some articulation system, or articulation ID's, it would be hook line and sinker for me.
MacPro 5,1 12core x 3.46ghz-96gb MacOS 12.2 (opencore), X32+AES16e-50

Dewdman42 wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 11:06 pm I have recently been leaning back towards DP from LogicPro/Cubase/S1. main reason being because of Chunks. The ability to have several different ideas that I'm working on in one project file is very useful. The GUI is getting better. If they bring loopable midi regions or clips as regions, etc.. more like the other daw's in that regard, that will be a very big selling point for me.
From what I can tell with Lite anyway, Clips pretty much act just like they do in Live, so you basically get the same workflow, but the option to work with MIDI the way it's always been in DP if you want.
The other thing I wish they had is the ability to put AU/VST midi plugins into the midi fx plugin slot, which right now is limited to proprietary plugins from MOTU. Cubase is the same way. LogicPro, however, has the ability to put AU's directly into a midi fx slot in front of instruments and really if DP would add that....as well as some articulation system, or articulation ID's, it would be hook line and sinker for me.
Not AU from what I know, but VSTi's in DP can be accessed via the bussing, you can set up any VSTi that sends MIDI as a MIDI input on a track. I do this all the time to send MIDI from Maschine or Spark to say East West Play etc.

DP should definitely get an articulation system like Cubase and Logic. I'm surprised they didn't jump on that when it came out..

Yes I’m aware of the bussing. What I wish for is something better, as described.

Dp does not have proper midi regions now as other daws do. I also wish for that. Maybe this new lite version is showing us a preview of that improvement I hope

Dewdman42 wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 7:32 am Yes I’m aware of the bussing. What I wish for is something better, as described.
I don't see how it's better? Slightly more convenient maybe, but the ability to use MIDI instruments is there in DP.
Dp does not have proper midi regions now as other daws do. I also wish for that. Maybe this new lite version is showing us a preview of that improvement I hope
So far it seems that if you work in Clips, you're getting MIDI regions. I just asked someone with Performer Lite over at Gearslutz about the interchangeability of Clips and traditional 'Note' view in MIDI tracks in the Sequence Editor. What I hope for is the ability to turn Clips(regions) on and off. There are definitely times using Logic or Reaper when it feels like a huge PITA to use because of region based editing etc. If you could just switch on the fly between Note and Clip view in a track, I would be very happy.

It's all gravy to me, I still use Live a lot, so having a single DAW that does both old school linear sequencing well and Session View is perfect for me, especially with Chunks. Chunks are fantastic for live performance with chaining, so along with Clips I could easily see all the other DAWs on my system just being ignored forever.

My last big three are Articulation maps like Cubase, bounce options like Reaper (with bounce in place or 'flatten' like Live), and MPE. Everything else is hardly worth writing about.

In order to use a midi plugin inserted between a midi track and an instrument I literally have to make 4 tracks in DP. Its a total nuisance. I'm glad you are happy with that nuisance, but this is something MOTU could improve drastically, and by the way it would help out a lot for articulation management.

seems we do not agree about midi regions and I don't see the point to argue about it.

Dewdman42 wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 9:50 am In order to use a midi plugin inserted between a midi track and an instrument I literally have to make 4 tracks in DP. Its a total nuisance. I'm glad you are happy with that nuisance, but this is something MOTU could improve drastically, and by the way it would help out a lot for articulation management.
How in heaven do you have to have four tracks to use a MIDI plug-in? I can do it with just two (or am missing something?):

1. Create a MIDI track, and instantiate there the MIDI plug-in you want.
2. Create an Instrument track with the virtual instrument you want
2. Route MIDI output of the MIDI track to the MII input of the Instrument track.

And voilà...
Fernando (FMR)

as I said already. If I have a midi track that needs to be processed by a midi plugin (after the midi from the track is fed to it), and then fed from there to an instrument...(which takes only one track in logic pro), this requires 4 in DP.

midi track -->inst track with midi plugin-->miditrack2-->inst track with sound

think it through.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”