IK iLoud MTM - monitors with ARC(!)

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Passing Bye wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 12:20 pm Both Micro's and MTM's are speakers mainly made to be taken out with you and require as less space so they can be used as pair for editing, they are amazing for that, but I personally wouldn't splash that amount of money on them so they be my main monitors and stay in my studio whole time, kinda beats the purpose of paying extra for them.

If 8" is no go and you were considering Focal Alpha 65, than I would recommend to check following models in that price range too, Presnous R65, Fluid Audio FX-50 (soon to be released) and ESI uniK 05 Plus, pair cost as single MTM unit, so really, if you aren't going to travel with them and have space for them, no need to pay extra.
Thanks, will check out these. Indeed, portability doesn't matter to me, I'm looking for speakers for mixing that will be only used in my studio.
Echoes in the Attic wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 12:25 pm No quality issues here, no.
Thanks, good to know :tu:
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

I am not an expert but do not understand too big for the room.

Now for near field monitoring it would be helpful to use coaxial speakers above a certain size. For example listening to jbl 12" three way boxes in a small room at 1 meter listening distance might be awkward even if the room is treated. Because of near field parallax between the different drivers in the fairly big speaker box.

My room is "moderate to heavy treated" for an amateur room. Only 15 x 12 foot dimensions. I use 12" sealed coax mains with 18" sealed sub at 1 meter distance and it sounds great to me. Not too big for the room.

Total triamp power and max spl is real loud but I never run it more than a few watts which gets plenty loud for small room monitoring.

An advantage which seems to happen running something strong enough to be a middlin PA for neaefield monitoring is that REW sweeps measure THD+N distortion lower than specs for some rather expensive smaller monitors. Unless REW is somehow improperly measuring the distortion, guessing it comes from just barely idling loud speakers, compared to pushing small speakers pretty hard to get the same spl.

I do need to correct something stated above: iLoud MTM are not made primarily for portability, that's iLoud Micro Monitor. We don't mention "portability" or "mobile" or similar at https://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/iloudmtm/ - they are smaller than other speakers but not meant to be portable as a main feature like iLoud Micro Monitor.

Their small size allow for great performance in smaller rooms (you can see "Perfect for desks and small spaces" under the bullet points), sure, and they definitely don't sound like they look size-wise. Their strengths are more in the phase-coherent linear sound with exceptional low end as well as the MTM layout providing great precision and imaging. The on-board calibration is also a plus, especially in smaller rooms.

Peter - IK Multimedia wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:56 pm I do need to correct something stated above: iLoud MTM are not made primarily for portability, that's iLoud Micro Monitor. We don't mention "portability" or "mobile" or similar at https://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/iloudmtm/ - they are smaller than other speakers but not meant to be portable as a main feature like iLoud Micro Monitor.
I said all that for both in general, there's grill on MTM's so they are good to go out too, so everything that is said still stands.

Hello IK Multimedia, I am very interested in your MTM. If the calibration is done, is the FR after the meassurement flar or just optimised. I saw a user on youtune using it. It sounded much better, but he meassured it afterwards and it was not close o flat. Or do we need ARC 2.5 for a real flat FR or is "flat" just an illusion? Taht would be great to know before I would purchase them. At the moment, cause of the specs, the hight and so on, they are on the Top of my list. Would be great to hear from you.

MinisterMeister wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 9:37 pm Hello IK Multimedia, I am very interested in your MTM. If the calibration is done, is the FR after the meassurement flar or just optimised. I saw a user on youtune using it. It sounded much better, but he meassured it afterwards and it was not close o flat. Or do we need ARC 2.5 for a real flat FR or is "flat" just an illusion? Taht would be great to know before I would purchase them. At the moment, cause of the specs, the hight and so on, they are on the Top of my list. Would be great to hear from you.
The goal of the calibration is not simply the ever-elusive flat graph. The calibration (and ARC System itself, too) is made to take the room out of the equation. iLoud MTM are super nearfield studio monitors so the calibration works in tandem with the DSP control and you'll have the best and most phase-coherent sound with ultra-linear response in your sweet spot. The idea is to provide the proper performance to have your mixes translate better anywhere and for you not to have to fight to mix around limitations of monitors and your room combined like many are. And to mix with your ears and not your eyes, too :D

That said, there may be other factors in measurements like that and they may want to recalibrate if their ears confirm that there's something not right. Also, many use iLoud MTM with no calibration done at all (you can reset to the stock non-calibrated settings by following the steps in the manual) as iLoud MTM are frequently sounding amazing right out of the box in many rooms and when used as super nearfield monitors. Like the old adage says, if it ain't broke don't fix it.

Peter - IK Multimedia wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 4:02 pm The goal of the calibration is not simply the ever-elusive flat graph. The calibration (and ARC System itself, too) is made to take the room out of the equation. iLoud MTM are super nearfield studio monitors so the calibration works in tandem with the DSP control and you'll have the best and most phase-coherent sound with ultra-linear response in your sweet spot. The idea is to provide the proper performance to have your mixes translate better anywhere and for you not to have to fight to mix around limitations of monitors and your room combined like many are. And to mix with your ears and not your eyes, too :D

That said, there may be other factors in measurements like that and they may want to recalibrate if their ears confirm that there's something not right. Also, many use iLoud MTM with no calibration done at all (you can reset to the stock non-calibrated settings by following the steps in the manual) as iLoud MTM are frequently sounding amazing right out of the box in many rooms and when used as super nearfield monitors. Like the old adage says, if it ain't broke don't fix it.
Thank you very much for your answer Peter. Over the last few days I read so much and also was listening to some comparissons and even analysed those videos to see who was closer to the original track and the MTM was all the time very good. So i think I will buy them. And i also saw on the IK Webpage that you can buy the full ARC 2.5 as an upgrade on Top....that is a great price. So I also can use it to calibrate my other speakers.
I hope I can ask you some more questions that would help me to get the most out of the speakers.
When i use "Calc", can i still switch to "flat and desktop" and then switch back to "calc" or is that switching delete the measurement I have to do it again. Would be great if I could switch between different modes, cause that also simulates how a mix translate in different situations.
And is there a difference if I position the MTM on the desctop or on Mic-Stands? And does the foam pads for desktops that you van buy have any benefit for the MTM or are the stands that are included with the MTM good enough to seperate them from the desk?
And a last one, if I understand correct, the Mic´s that are included are normal Mics that i also can conect via XLN and Phantom Power with my Soundcard, correct. Btw, is there a FR Profil availibe for that Mic? Oh yes, i nearly forgto that...each Speaker comes with a Mic...so does every Mic is slighly different, or can I simply use one Mic for both speakers?
Many questions :lol: Sorry for my bad english.
And yes, I will buy them. I do not found anything better. Especially because I want to use them as nearfields, arround 70 cm away from my ears. And all i read on the internet is, that you can not find anything better for this, then the MTM.

I just sent Thomann (Germany) back a new pair of iLoud MTM for replacement.

Both made a very annoying whining sound when powered up. The sound consists mostly of 2.7 to 3kHz, with peak around 2.9kHz, also some higher frequency components are there.

The sound originates somewhere back side of the speaker, and it is similar how for example cheap USB-chargers whine. So, I conclude that this is a power supply problem; a noisy coil etc..

It is a very annoying and fatiguing sound/noise, here is a recording of it:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/rc50fqnp3hcpq ... 7.mp3?dl=0
The recording was made with cardioid-pattern mic at approximately 15cm from the back of the speaker.

Except for this issue I was really really happy with the initial (one-day) experience of these monitors, especially for the low end, and how good they perform after calibration in a non-optimal room. I am going to use these in a location that cannot be optimised for acoustics. In my other, acoustically treated space, I have had Adam A5X:s with subwoofer for years.

I am a bit worried that the replacement iLoud MTMs will have the same problem... But I hope for the best.

AUTO-ADMIN: Non-MP3, WAV, OGG, SoundCloud, YouTube, Vimeo, Twitter and Facebook links in this post have been protected automatically. Once the member reaches 5 posts the links will function as normal.
My room is treated but still i guess that calibration thing would be very useful. In short, would you recommend replacing my Krks with Mtms?

To download gimp 2.6 free (https://gimp.cc/download-gimp-2-6-10/) in your device, click on the given below download link.

tjvirtan wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 2:28 pm I am a bit worried that the replacement iLoud MTMs will have the same problem... But I hope for the best.
Update:
I just received the replacements from Thomann.
Now one is good, but the other makes exactly the same whining sound/noise. 3 out of 4 not good is not good.
:|

I have now contacted IK Multimedia support about this issue. I hope this gets resolved soon, I'll post an update here when something happens. :)

I grabbed a pair of these, and am very impressed.
I really enjoy the way they image, and you feel present in a good mix.
The low end extends well, but is susceptible to a little bit of port noise if you drive them hard on the low end. You could use the 50 or 60hz cutoff filter to help prevent a lot of that.
The mid-high range is superb and showcases the real strength of this monitor: to give you crystal clear reproduction of everything the source material has to offer.
I've heard great monitors in nice treated rooms, and this DSP powered beast brings that experience home.

I grabbed a pair of these, and am very impressed.
I really enjoy the way they image, and you feel present in a good mix.
The low end extends well, but is susceptible to a little bit of port noise if you drive them hard on the low end. You could use the 50 or 60hz cutoff filter to help prevent a lot of that.
The mid-high range is superb and showcases the real strength of this monitor: to give you crystal clear reproduction of everything the source material has to offer.
I've heard great monitors in nicely treated rooms, and these DSP powered beasts brings that experience home.

tjvirtan wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 8:15 am
tjvirtan wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 2:28 pm I am a bit worried that the replacement iLoud MTMs will have the same problem... But I hope for the best.
Update:
I just received the replacements from Thomann.
Now one is good, but the other makes exactly the same whining sound/noise. 3 out of 4 not good is not good.
:|

I have now contacted IK Multimedia support about this issue. I hope this gets resolved soon, I'll post an update here when something happens. :)
I hit up my Support Manager asking what was going on here, there was a batch that should be able to have any issues like this remedied with a simple firmware update that's available so I'm not sure what's going on in your case as I believe you have stated elsewhere that you did do the latest firmware. If you'd like me to also bump your specific ticket please send me the ticket number too. Thank you.

Peter - IK Multimedia wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 5:24 pm I hit up my Support Manager asking what was going on here, there was a batch that should be able to have any issues like this remedied with a simple firmware update that's available so I'm not sure what's going on in your case as I believe you have stated elsewhere that you did do the latest firmware. If you'd like me to also bump your specific ticket please send me the ticket number too. Thank you.
Thank you, I have now sent the ticket number as PM here.

I did update the firmware with the updater available on IK website. There was no change on the noise/whine.

I found out on my own testing that the whine/noise occurs at distracting levels only above 200V. I tested it with an adjustable transformer. As a temporary solution I am running my iLoud MTMs now thru a 230V/120V transformer.

It is now 2 weeks since I contacted the support, and the issue still remains unsolved.

One obvious solution would be that IK Multimedia will replace my faulty unit with one that they know is good. But do they even know which ones are good ??

Maybe the only way to fix this is to keep returning speakers and ordering new ones until ending up with two good ones, with luck.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”