Who's getting the new Wave Alchemy Revolution Drum machine?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Revolution Revolution-606

Ableton users just got lucky, they just released Revolution for Live. It's a different product to Revolution and it's built using Ableton's own Drum Rack and Sampler. I just installed it and I'm testing it right now. Regarding raw capabilities, I think Revolution offers a bit more features "in-the-box", so to say,effects and gimmicks, but regarding memory consumption and integration with Push, the old Revolution doesn't hold a candle.

For what is worth, I don't think I will be using the old Revolution anymore.
MAN FROM SPACE
Spotify: https://open.spotify.com/artist/135uz9UwHtdXZgiFyAc3oz
SoundCloud: https://soundcloud.com/manfromspace

GumRoad (FREE Ableton racks and synth presets): https://gumroad.com/manfromspace

nachenko wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:51 am Ableton users just got lucky, they just released Revolution for Live. It's a different product to Revolution and it's built using Ableton's own Drum Rack and Sampler. I just installed it and I'm testing it right now. Regarding raw capabilities, I think Revolution offers a bit more features "in-the-box", so to say,effects and gimmicks, but regarding memory consumption and integration with Push, the old Revolution doesn't hold a candle.

For what is worth, I don't think I will be using the old Revolution anymore.
AMAZING!

Three questions:

1. Can only the macro knobs be automated or are the samples in each drum pad placed in Simpler, whose parameters can also be automated?

2. Is it possible to remap the macro knobs to other parameters or are you ”locked” with the initial setup?

3. Is it the same sample library as the Revolution plugin and can you access the samples directly without opening a drum rack?

Ohlson_M wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 12:02 pm Three questions:

1. Can only the macro knobs be automated or are the samples in each drum pad placed in Simpler, whose parameters can also be automated?

2. Is it possible to remap the macro knobs to other parameters or are you ”locked” with the initial setup?

3. Is it the same sample library as the Revolution plugin and can you access the samples directly without opening a drum rack?
Hi, Ohlson. In the end, all these things are just super-elaborated Live devices and everything is automatable or editable as usual. All elements use Simpler in multisample mode. You can right-click on Simpler to convert into Sampler, and edit from there.

Check the following screenshot:
Revolution for Live 1.jpg
Hope it helps. Cheers!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
MAN FROM SPACE

GumRoad (FREE Ableton racks and synth presets): https://gumroad.com/manfromspace

That's cool for Ableton users. I thought when they were originally talking about doing an Ableton version that it would lose round robin though. Did they figure out a way to have round robin with simpler?

Now if they would only separate the drum modules for Kontakt, I'd buy it again!

nachenko wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 12:53 pm
Ohlson_M wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 12:02 pm Three questions:

Hi, Ohlson. In the end, all these things are just super-elaborated Live devices and everything is automatable or editable as usual. All elements use Simpler in multisample mode. You can right-click on Simpler to convert into Sampler, and edit from there.

Check the following screenshot:

Revolution for Live 1.jpg

Hope it helps. Cheers!
That picture answered every question! Really appreciate your time 😊.

It has the automation possibilites I was looking for. With Ableton and Push, this is a godsend.

Echoes in the Attic wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 2:02 pm Did they figure out a way to have round robin with simpler?
Yes, they did! They put Ableton's own Random MIDI effect just before Simpler in multisample mode.

EDIT: but if you want to save memory, there is a downsized version of every drum machine and module. They are named "Lite".
MAN FROM SPACE

Just bought the Ableton Live Pack version. It really makes up for Revolution´s limitations with regard to RAM usage and automation possibilities. :clap:

I'd probably buy it if there was a Bitwig version! Though honestly I'd rather use it in Maschine. And while there is a Maschine preset, it suffers from the problems we discussed here - No automation of full kit and way too much ram for modules (and no single drum modules, just an everything module).

It's sort of weird that they created all these single drum modules for Ableton. They could have just done this for Kontakt and then any DAW or container could use it. Ableton, Bitwig, Maschine, with single Kontakt modules that were reasonable on ram. Would be nice to see the devs pop back into this thread to comment.

How come a single drum module in Kontakt uses much more RAM than the same module inside an Ableton Rack? Because the former loads ALL Revolution’s samples and not just the samples included in each module?

Echoes in the Attic wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 3:38 pm
dionenoid wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 3:30 pm
Ohlson_M wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:57 am Such a shame. The individual modules are what I was looking for, in terms of functionality, but they are not an option for me due to the high RAM required. Consuming 8-10 gb of RAM just on my drum loop is not an option.
Even with DFD on ?
The instruments are in DFD mode if I recall. Not sure why fully purged instruments in DFD mode use all that ram. Makes no sense to me.
Finally had some time to test it myself. And indeed, it uses around 1GB RAM per instance, with DFD on. The Percussion version uses only slightly less. Crazy.

Honestly i never really noticed it as i rarely use more than 2 or 3 instances myself.

The bright side is it hardly uses any cpu. But that RAM useage is absurd, even most big Komplete banks don't use that much. Did someone ask Wave Alchemy about this ?
More BPM please

Ohlson_M wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 6:05 pm How come a single drum module in Kontakt uses much more RAM than the same module inside an Ableton Rack? Because the former loads ALL Revolution’s samples and not just the samples included in each module?
Probably.

dionenoid wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 8:00 pm
Echoes in the Attic wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 3:38 pm
dionenoid wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 3:30 pm
Ohlson_M wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:57 am Such a shame. The individual modules are what I was looking for, in terms of functionality, but they are not an option for me due to the high RAM required. Consuming 8-10 gb of RAM just on my drum loop is not an option.
Even with DFD on ?
The instruments are in DFD mode if I recall. Not sure why fully purged instruments in DFD mode use all that ram. Makes no sense to me.
Finally had some time to test it myself. And indeed, it uses around 1GB RAM per instance, with DFD on. The Percussion version uses only slightly less. Crazy.

Honestly i never really noticed it as i rarely use more than 2 or 3 instances myself.

The bright side is it hardly uses any cpu. But that RAM useage is absurd, even most big Komplete banks don't use that much. Did someone ask Wave Alchemy about this ?
I once recommended they split the module into separate drum modules because the all encompassing module is way too ram intensive but I guess it was too much work.

Are people still using their Revolution? Currently on sale on PB.

Old thread - but does anyone have a solution to this?

Every time I load up Revolution, pick a kit and then go to audition the different sounds VIA my connected Komplete Kontrol (S61) keyboard - the bloody sequencer in Revolution fires up. For the life of me I cannot find where to shut this down - permanently.

I have no desire to use the pattern sequencer from within Revolution (In Kontakt) right now - rather I just want to start using it by manually programming drum hits into Studio One.

Apologies for not digging deep into the manual but it feels like I am missing something simple here - or am I? Maybe the sequencer is supposed to run all the time when I hit a key on my controller?

Appreciate any tips on the above.

Cheers!

B

Echoes in the Attic wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2016 4:46 pm Understood. However I'd rather use the 12 patterns as actual different patterns rather than for example 6 pairs that should be played together. That adds complexity that wouldn't be needed with a longer pattern.

And to your 3 points I would counter with the following comments:
1) I repeat again, my suggestion was to have another page that can be toggled to go in to an OPTIONAL additional 32 steps, so the size would be no different.
2) I don't see how having a A/B/C/D switch rather than an A/B is making it more complex. The user has the option of leaving the pattern length at 32 steps, or 16 for that matter. Exact same workflow/complexity. Just an additional setting for those who would like it.
3) I think using several patterns as one longer pattern make things more complex because now you have to pair them up. For example I have one sequence that is Pattern 1 and 2 together in series. So the midi clips have to keep those two notes together. Then another section of a track uses 3 and 4 in series and so the midi clip has to keep those together. This is opposed to just having a single note trigger pattern 1 for a section, then change to pattern 2 for a different pattern at a different section.

Anyways, hopefully you see my point of view and reconsider. There seems to be nothing lost by doubling the total sequence length, but some things to be gained. Thanks for listening!
Sounds Outside wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2016 5:35 pm Ok, good points and I see where you're coming from. This could be doable but it will take some rethinking of how several things are currently implemented. I'm not sure if this will make it for the next update but we'll definitely put some thought towards this. We would need to be sure this doesn't break compatibility with the current implementation as well but if it's possible we'll add this feature.
Did this ever get done? At least 64 steps is critical.
The groove baby, the groove...

Return to “Instruments”