Roli Seaboard RISE

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I know very little about these, someday maybe but I haven't even demoed it yet...I did however google for the manual

https://support.roli.com/support/soluti ... -dashboard

look what I found in the description of the dashboard
MIDI Settings

MIDI Start Channel and MIDI End Channel – determine the channels that will send MIDI data for the notes you are playing. This range determines the expressive polyphony of your Block. For full MPE compatibility these will be set to 2–16.

Use MPE – turns MPE on or off. When MPE is on, the global channel is set to 1. Global messages – like from a sustain pedal – are sent on the global channel, while note information is sent on channels with the range set by MIDI Start Channel and MIDI End Channel.

Pitch Bend Range – allows you to match the pitch bend range of the software or hardware instrument your Block is controlling. By default the Pitch Bend Range is 48 to match the default pitch bend range of MPE synthesizers like Equator and Strobe2.
Pashkuli, a video was posted showing pitchbend, you claimed it wasn't pitch bend because it wasn't labeled on the video. I just found it labeled and identified as pitch bend by the company in their user manual.

Time to stop derailing this thread with semantics, things have been relatively mild so far but I see the pot starting to boil, I dont want a mob chasing me through the village if I lock this so I suggest that we have come to the point where people agree to to disagree.
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

Pashkuli wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 5:14 pm
Hink wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 5:06 pm ...
Pitch Bend MIDI Message. Know the difference. Also this is for the Block device (tiny grid) to scale properly... read carefully.
hink is a forum mod, asking you to leave it.

himalaya wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 4:51 pm
Pashkuli wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 2:21 pm But you can not even play two notes with one fingertip.

And is the stipulation that you can do that on a piano? Well, the Seaboard is not a piano, it is....a Seaboard and has its own set of performance features. Why is this even a topic? Seems to me that you want to rise the bar and cast a negative aura here. Why? You can co-exist with everyone else without this strange negative angle. We love the Seaboard, the Linnstrumnet, Haken Continuum, Madrona Labs Soundplane, etc. All are such beautiful expressive instruments, each with its own set of quirks and benefits. All can co-exist without one designer coming in and creating a very strange vibe, as if you had some ulterior motives. You don't right?
echoed.

I like seaboard for what it is a lot. I had one for 3 years now, i use it live and in studio and it's been my master keyboard for 2 years

I’ve just wade through the last 6-7 pages of idiocy: has anyone anything sensible to say about seaboards or are we reduced to just talking about the Mad Hatter?

rACatkvr wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 12:01 pm I’ve just wade through the last 6-7 pages of idiocy: has anyone anything sensible to say about seaboards or are we reduced to just talking about the Mad Hatter?
Yeah they're great :D

Plonking, Another Logic user I find here :-), but I’m just looking for seaboard inspirations, similar to finding Evil Dragon here when I feel guilty about neglecting my PC3X :-)

rACatkvr wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 12:01 pm has anyone anything sensible to say
I have a video. Top of the page. :D But is it sensible? I don't know.
http://www.electric-himalaya.com
VSTi and hardware synth sound design
3D/5D sound design since 2012

rACatkvr wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 12:01 pm I’ve just wade through the last 6-7 pages of idiocy: has anyone anything sensible to say about seaboards or are we reduced to just talking about the Mad Hatter?
That’s your own fault for not reading the 70 other pages of pure enlightenment.

When the Seaboard was first introduced (I got one of the first Seaboard Grands on the West Coast), they responded fully microtonally. That is, if your initial touch was somewhere between keywaves, you would get the corresponding micro-pitch, exactly as you would get playing an acoustic string instrument, such as a violin or upright bass. About a year or so after the initial shipments, ROLI introduced a firmware update which removed that ability, such that if your initial touch was somewhere in between keywaves, it would quantize to the nearest half-step. Current versions of the Seaboard all do this now. Although it makes it easier to play I guess, I was not happy about this change. I lobbied ROLI hard to restore the original micro-tone feature, or at least make it an option in the Dashboard. Apparently, not enough users were on board with that, so it didn't happen. So it appears to me that the ROLI Seaboard will never again have true microtonal ability similar to a violin, etc.

Keyless wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 8:00 pm When the Seaboard was first introduced (I got one of the first Seaboard Grands on the West Coast), they responded fully microtonally. That is, if your initial touch was somewhere between keywaves, you would get the corresponding micro-pitch, exactly as you would get playing an acoustic string instrument, such as a violin or upright bass. About a year or so after the initial shipments, ROLI introduced a firmware update which removed that ability, such that if your initial touch was somewhere in between keywaves, it would quantize to the nearest half-step. Current versions of the Seaboard all do this now. Although it makes it easier to play I guess, I was not happy about this change. I lobbied ROLI hard to restore the original micro-tone feature, or at least make it an option in the Dashboard. Apparently, not enough users were on board with that, so it didn't happen. So it appears to me that the ROLI Seaboard will never again have true microtonal ability similar to a violin, etc.
shit. I always wonder why that happens. thanks

Keyless wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 8:00 pm When the Seaboard was first introduced (I got one of the first Seaboard Grands on the West Coast), they responded fully microtonally. That is, if your initial touch was somewhere between keywaves, you would get the corresponding micro-pitch, exactly as you would get playing an acoustic string instrument, such as a violin or upright bass. About a year or so after the initial shipments, ROLI introduced a firmware update which removed that ability, such that if your initial touch was somewhere in between keywaves, it would quantize to the nearest half-step. Current versions of the Seaboard all do this now. Although it makes it easier to play I guess, I was not happy about this change. I lobbied ROLI hard to restore the original micro-tone feature, or at least make it an option in the Dashboard. Apparently, not enough users were on board with that, so it didn't happen. So it appears to me that the ROLI Seaboard will never again have true microtonal ability similar to a violin, etc.
Exact the reason why i do not use my Seaboard Rise much anymore (beside more as a normal midi keyboard). It is not only that but also very slow glides are quantized always and doesn´t stay in a micropitch.
This works even in their iOS app (if glide set to 100%) but not on the hardware. I know it might be minor to some but i really hate this limitation so much. Not only for more realistic microtonal things but also for really slow and evolving sound design/FX/etc. In general the hardware is still too close to a normal keyboard rather than the extraordinary glide/bends/polyphonic modulations i can do with a 5 dollar app on my phone.
I also wrote them about this a few times but i doubt it will change. I hoped for a Seaboard Rise 2.0 but not sure. They gone all for these blocks and Apple like marketing things and Roli lost their magic a bit for me while i really saw the innovation at the beginning.
I must say i love the feel of the Rise, the build quality is like a tank and in general their support is great, fast and helpful. It is just it could be so much more and more versatile. I tried to sold it but no one was interested even at half price (and it was still under warranty) so i guess i have to live with it and hope one day it could be solved via a software update. Maybe it is just not possible with the Rise hardware.
As usual just a personal opinion :)

I want that feature back, or at least the option. Kills me that they removed it!

himalaya wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 4:53 pm Pashkuli, your line of conversation is very... tired
I had to go and play some music on the Seaboard to get my chakras happy again :D

https://youtu.be/Djz6L9iNe50
nice job :clap:

himalaya wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 4:53 pm Pashkuli, your line of conversation is very... tired
I had to go and play some music on the Seaboard to get my chakras happy again :D

https://youtu.be/Djz6L9iNe50
Inspiring! :phones:
If it were easy, anybody could do it!

After 4 years of owning it i discovered the X/Y doesn't have "spring" action. :(

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”