[rock with cello] good and evil

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
enroe
KVRian
1099 posts since 19 Mar, 2008 from germany

Post Mon Nov 11, 2019 2:55 am

My latest song "good and evil":

direct link:

http://andy-enroe.bplaced.net/22_songs/ ... d_evil.mp3

animation link (website):

Look at"Good and Evil"

Let's enter the world of fairytales - and ask yourself if
"good and evil" is an appropriate category or not?
I tried to approach this topic with a cello on the right and
so gave this song a kind of fragility. Did I succeed? And do
you think there are parts or sounds that could be
improved? :?: :D
free mp3s + info: andy-enroe.de songs + weird stuff: enroe.de

User avatar
Saffran
KVRist
310 posts since 20 Oct, 2018

Re: [rock with cello] good and evil

Post Mon Nov 11, 2019 6:40 am

I think you could skip the bass when the cello is playing.
Maybe a less metallic sound on the bass.

User avatar
Frantz
KVRAF
5244 posts since 18 Jul, 2008 from New York

Re: [rock with cello] good and evil

Post Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:34 pm

I enjoyed this! Very original song with nice animations. The melody is memorable and I thought the cello enhanced the arrangement a lot.

The mix is good too. Perhaps the bass guitar is a bit loud and the drums a little soft?

aaron aardvark
KVRAF
1655 posts since 22 Jan, 2011 from near Los Angeles

Re: [rock with cello] good and evil

Post Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:30 pm

enroe,
Thank you for the review! Now your song: hey this is really good! Very interesting combination of elements here. Before I even listened to the song, I wondered if it would remind me of the Beatles (a la "Eleanor Rigby") and it did at times. I didn't think the electric bass interfered with the cello, but I can understand why someone might say that. I like both the electric bass and cello tones. In several ways, this had a 60's vibe,and partially psychedelic. In some ways, I picked up a 70's vibe also (a bit of Yes at times). Though the audio quality was better than your typical 60's recording. The singing is very good, I did not detect any German accent, if that was your goal. Nice melodies. Very nice! :)

User avatar
snoddas
KVRist
103 posts since 5 May, 2006 from Uppsala, Sweden

Re: [rock with cello] good and evil

Post Tue Nov 12, 2019 6:05 am

far out man! for some reason 'the laughing gnome' by bowie comes to mind, listened to that album a great deal, many years ago...
great composition, needs a bit of mixing imo, just to bring it all together? excellent work!
/S

User avatar
thomekk
KVRAF
2519 posts since 3 May, 2003 from Germany

Re: [rock with cello] good and evil

Post Tue Nov 12, 2019 4:00 pm

I enjoyed it.
Good song with a great arrangement.:tu:
And I liked the dry, rough, reverbless mix !
Unimportant laughter New Album YouTube
music has become meaningless...we're just keep doing it

enroe
KVRian
1099 posts since 19 Mar, 2008 from germany

Re: [rock with cello] good and evil

Post Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:15 am

Thank you all for your feedback.

Also I very much appreciate the suggestions of Saffran (bass + cello-
interference) and Frantz (bass + drum-balance). I will investigate that in
a new version.
free mp3s + info: andy-enroe.de songs + weird stuff: enroe.de

User avatar
el-bo (formerly ebow)
KVRAF
15301 posts since 24 May, 2009 from A galaxy, far far away

Re: [rock with cello] good and evil

Post Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:29 am

Old hippy vibe (Love - Forever Changes), with a nod to similar early style of mixing in stereo, albeit with the addition of some modern production sounds and effects. Lots of sonic variation makes it a really interesting journey, which felt a bit disparate (Even jarring. Some of the elements are perhaps mixed too dry for my taste) on the first play-through, but feels more cohesive from familiarity with each successive play.

Enjoyed it a lot :tu:

User avatar
Benedict
KVRAF
3137 posts since 5 Mar, 2004 from Gold Coast Australia

Re: [rock with cello] good and evil

Post Thu Nov 14, 2019 5:04 pm

Great to hear things that aren't more doof, doof loops.

The song is interesting. Some of the word pronunciation too but not to worry about that.

I too feel that the details often make the whole unravel a bit. Perhaps when mixing you focused too much on each sound instead of the whole Story and therefore making the sounds back that.

:-)

enroe
KVRian
1099 posts since 19 Mar, 2008 from germany

Re: [rock with cello] good and evil

Post Sat Nov 16, 2019 7:56 am

el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:29 am
Old hippy vibe (Love - Forever Changes), with a nod to similar early style of mixing in stereo, albeit with the addition of some modern production sounds and effects. Lots of sonic variation makes it a really interesting journey, which felt a bit disparate (Even jarring. Some of the elements are perhaps mixed too dry for my taste) on the first play-through, but feels more cohesive from familiarity with each successive play.

Enjoyed it a lot :tu:
el-bo: Thank you for reviewing! :wink:
Yes, I like it very dry, but perhaps I exaggerated a little, mmmh ...
free mp3s + info: andy-enroe.de songs + weird stuff: enroe.de

User avatar
seismic1
KVRAF
9320 posts since 13 Mar, 2009 from UK

Re: [rock with cello] good and evil

Post Tue Nov 19, 2019 3:54 pm

Great song and a good recording overall. I think the bass/drums balance is out, and the bass/cello too. However the tone/sound of the bass itself is great. I reckon you could try pulling it down by 3dB. It might solve both problems at once, and give you a little more headroom on the master bus to play with.

Good work :)

enroe
KVRian
1099 posts since 19 Mar, 2008 from germany

Re: [rock with cello] good and evil

Post Sat Nov 23, 2019 4:21 am

Benedict wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 5:04 pm
Great to hear things that aren't more doof, doof loops.

The song is interesting. Some of the word pronunciation too but not to worry about that.

I too feel that the details often make the whole unravel a bit. Perhaps when mixing you focused too much on each sound instead of the whole Story and therefore making the sounds back that.

:-)
Hi Benedict, thank you for your remarks and advices! And yes, you're right, "good
and evil" has some parts which might not necessarily belong together ... I'll have
to consider that.
free mp3s + info: andy-enroe.de songs + weird stuff: enroe.de

enroe
KVRian
1099 posts since 19 Mar, 2008 from germany

Re: [rock with cello] good and evil

Post Wed Nov 27, 2019 5:44 am

seismic1 wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 3:54 pm
Great song and a good recording overall. I think the bass/drums balance is out, and the bass/cello too. However the tone/sound of the bass itself is great. I reckon you could try pulling it down by 3dB. It might solve both problems at once, and give you a little more headroom on the master bus to play with.

Good work :)
Thank you.

And yeah, the balance between bass + drum + cello is somthing I am unsure
about. In the interim development it has gone into all directions :hihi:
I will try your suggestion! :wink:
free mp3s + info: andy-enroe.de songs + weird stuff: enroe.de

Return to “Music Cafe”