Icarus or Hive?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

chk071 wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 9:49 pm @recursive one: If you already own a u-he plugin, you can get Hive 2 now for 30% off. :)
Cool, thanks for the heads up :tu:
But probably not this time - when the GAS attack was over I realized that both, despite being very nice synths, are essentially redundant over what I've already got.

Thanks everyone of opinions and insights, maybe when they both get updates, when I have more money to burn, when the GAS strikes stronger ... :phones:
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

recursive one wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 7:55 am
chk071 wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 9:49 pm @recursive one: If you already own a u-he plugin, you can get Hive 2 now for 30% off. :)
Cool, thanks for the heads up :tu:
But probably not this time - when the GAS attack was over I realized that both, despite being very nice synths, are essentially redundant over what I've already got.
Exactly my thoughts. :)

Let's see what the rest of Black Friday brings. Might not buy a single plugin this time...

Thanks for heads up as well.
I got couple BOZ digital plugins
Murderous duck!

Ok I take back what I said about FX section Icarus vs. Hive. Icarus FX indeed sounds awesome, too. Maybe the reverb actually sounds a bunch better? A pity that both synths do not have a separate output for the FX, esp. the reverb. Isn't it common sense that - if you want to mix by strict rules - the reverb should go to a bus and shouldn't be compressed or modulated like the dry signal? Or better say modulation should usually happen before reverb? In any case an additional bus would be helpful. What do you think?

i Agree, i really like Icarus Reverbs too + other FX's
Icarus 2 is also going to have a Glitch section..

Granted the person who created this post is probably looking for some sounds that are not easily achievable by solely by 1 VST...
It can still be done but it's somewhat more tricky..

Summing it up, each synth has it's own streghts, particular features and also diferences from others..
I just happen to like Icarus for what it provides, it's workflow and also because of that it really resonates with me.

Urs wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 5:19 pm We'll do some more... but really, it's more, like, when there's a situation when you'd commonly say "I wished I could just..." and there's indeed a simple way to do it. We recently put Hive to a test for a film scoring project, and everyone was quite surprised how easily we could do "Zebra things" with it.
What kinds of things are “Zebra things”? I own Hive but am not familiar with Zebra or its functions.

macmuse wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 2:10 am
Urs wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 5:19 pm We'll do some more... but really, it's more, like, when there's a situation when you'd commonly say "I wished I could just..." and there's indeed a simple way to do it. We recently put Hive to a test for a film scoring project, and everyone was quite surprised how easily we could do "Zebra things" with it.
What kinds of things are “Zebra things”? I own Hive but am not familiar with Zebra or its functions.
We call "Zebra things" sounds that are hard to achieve with general synthesis, but are somehow doable in Zebra's open synthesis architecture. Drums, choirs, sounds that need precise control over rhythm (e.g. the sound of a pocket watch in Dunkirk). Sounds that people usually don't perceive as synthesised.

I’d love to hear that Urs, H2 doing the Zeb thingie. A quick question if I may, regardibg the Shape Sequencer : have you considered making the curve a tad more flexible maybe ? When it comes to drums with H2, it’s what I miss the most : being able to have weirder, more hmmm irregular curves. I’ve tried modulating the rate with another Shape (or a Function Generator, or an Envelope), but it can be pretty tedious.
Computer musician / Ableton Certified Trainer / Mastering engineer
.com
3OP

HIVE! Not Icarus!

nilhartman wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 8:55 amhave you considered making the curve a tad more flexible maybe ?
It's a quite expandable system. We can add any sort of curve to it, we just need to figure out what's useful. We might need a separate discussion on this, maybe early next year.

Return to “Instruments”