Roland Cloud

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
JX-3P Roland Cloud

I recently took up the Roland cloud demo offer and downloaded a bunch of their classic synths.

I'm seriously tempted but...

I must firstly say that the sound quality is top notch. The Roland Jupiter 8 (which it should do) does have an edge over the Arturia Jupiter 8V. Although in a mix I couldn't really hear a big difference with a similar type of sound when testing. I have had the SH-2 plugout for a while now and the Jupiter 8 and Juno sound just as authentic. It's the interface and also price (just about acceptable) that lets it down for me. I have other synths that do the job well enough so paying for a cloud account wouldn't be worth it for me. Think Arturia and Tal. But I would prefer some larger GUI options + please please Roland can you build a better integrated patch browser... but still that sound... :phones: :tu:

Hemmick Reef wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 9:09 am I would prefer some larger GUI options
Did you try the scaling function in the options menu of each synth? You can make the GUI pretty large.

steve.lindqvist wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 10:00 am
Hemmick Reef wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 9:09 am I would prefer some larger GUI options
Did you try the scaling function in the options menu of each synth? You can make the GUI pretty large.
Yes I do, as I like to go large as possible when spending time editing a synth.
But I forgot to add the larger GUI's are out of focus which I don't like so use a medium GUI.
I'm not sure why they can't keep it in focus on scaling?

Hemmick Reef wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 10:38 am
But I forgot to add the larger GUI's are out of focus which I don't like so use a medium GUI.
No problem here with the focus on scaling. But then again, I am more concerned with the sound made than having something pretty to look at.

As for not being able to tell in a mix, I most certainly could. I found the Arturia plugs to very brittle when mixed with the RC stuff and it took a lot more work to get them to sound good.

JJ_Jettflow wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 11:30 am
Hemmick Reef wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 10:38 am
No problem here with the focus on scaling. But then again, I am more concerned with the sound made than having something pretty to look at.

As for not being able to tell in a mix, I most certainly could. I found the Arturia plugs to very brittle and harsh when mixed with the RC stuff and it took a lot more work to get them to sound good.

I spent some time comparing Roland and Arturia J8's. When playing, the Roland has a more cutting vibrant sound more like I imagine the hardware. The Arturia can get there but takes more work and even some eq.

Which cloud synths can be run on the System 8?
Intel Core2 Quad CPU + 4 GIG RAM

electro wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 2:57 pm Which cloud synths can be run on the System 8?
Sorry for the late reply. Any of the "Plug-Out" virtual analog synths can run on the System-8. So the System-100, System-1 System-8, Juno, Jupiter, JX-3P, SH-101, Pro-Mars, and SH-2. Not sure about the TB-3 but I'm thinking that one is a no. Remember, you can load 3 Plug-Outs at a time to the System-8 so it's not like you can have them all at once.

Also, the XV-5080 is out now as a new instrument.

Just more of the same....
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

SLiC wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 8:54 pm Just more of the same....
Yeah, but I mean...that's sort of been Roland's MO with these types of products even in the hardware world right? Repackage the same synth with small differences and sell it again as a new product? At least the Cloud is doing the same thing faster. :lol:

finally the 5080! ok come on now the JD800!
DAW FL Studio Audio Interface Focusrite Scarlett 1st Gen 2i2 CPU Intel i7-7700K 4.20 GHz, RAM 32 GB Dual-Channel DDR4 @2400MHz Corsair Vengeance. MB Asus Prime Z270-K, GPU Gainward 1070 GTX GS 8GB NT Be Quiet DP 550W OS Win10 64Bit

XV-5080? That is nice, I'll take it!

Just for information, this one does contain JV-1080 presets too. I just checked it. So it makes the JV plugin useless then...

To the people that love these 1080/5080/880/etc. synths...do your program them from the scratch? They just sound like bad ROMplers to me, with most presets geared towards creating the sounds of real instruments poorly. But I never got on well enough with the interface to want to sit down and program anything from scratch. So what do they do well? Or is it a nostalgia thing where those sounds are so bad they're good. Or were all over a beloved sub-genre of electronic music back in the day?

sinemotor wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 10:19 pmJust for information, this one does contain JV-1080 presets too. I just checked it. So it makes the JV plugin useless then...
That has been the case with every SRX plugin to date.

It's really dumb that Roland didn't go the Korg route and just implemented all expansions in one plugin...

Return to “Instruments”