Soundtheory GULLFOSS computional auditory perception EQ

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Gullfoss

The update that lets windows early access licences become cross platform licences is out just now

Early Access owners have an NFR license.

From https://www.soundtheory.com/support
How do I transfer my license?
Please contact support before attempting any license transfer.
Early Access and discounted licenses are non-transferable.

that sorta makes sense--last time u-he had a big bundle on sale, people spam-bought the bundle and then resold the keys for the original price online.

It doesn’t say NFR in my iLok account. I suspect that if that was a thing before now, it is no longer a thing

Hold on, I bought an early access. I'm not planning to sell Gullfoss anytime soon, but it seems unfair to deem it NFR. Early access people have had to endure some bugs and DAWs crashing. The new version is performing better, but there was a few weeks were it was troublesome.
Argh the small-print.
Thats left a bit of an unpleasant taste in the mouth. : (
At least they were saying that updates for the foreseeable future were free. But I'm still unhappy that I missed the small print.
Thats unusual for me that early access is NFR. Its not like I'm buying 10 licenses to sell on.

On another note I am demoing Neutron 3, the "Sculptor", which seems to be doing something a little similar to Gullfoss.
However, as per Izotope, the Sculptor is CPU heavy, and introducing latency. : (
I'm leaning towards passing on the MPS2.1 upgrade.
Reaper (win), i7-7700k, 16GB

I‘m quite happy with iZotope Sculptor. I tested Gulfoss and skipped it from various reasons. This NFR thing shows me once again that was the right decision.
Last edited by martinjuenke on Sat Aug 17, 2019 6:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

zacha wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 11:20 pm It doesn’t say NFR in my iLok account. I suspect that if that was a thing before now, it is no longer a thing
It may say "Yes" beside "Transferable" but it will likely be set to "Require publisher approval". in this case if you try and transfer it via iLok manager it will first ask the vendor to approve and if they do not, your request will be denied. I am not sure if you get a refund on the transfer fee. The ST FAQ says you have to contact them about any transfers. It is being exposed that this policy may contravene EU law - I've seen this before - in some cases the vendor acquiesced, and in others they stood fast on their NFR policy.

As I've already written on Gearslutz, if you have a good reason for selling your license, simply get in touch with us and we will reimburse you. This way you don't have to pay any transfer fees, you don't have to find a buyer, we don't have to put the time in moving the license and we can control that nobody makes money from reselling discounted licenses.

So there should be no reason for you to require the option of reselling your license. Unless you are planning to make a business out of it.

Also note that the NFR policy only affects licenses that have come with special conditions, like a personal discount or early access. We could make these licenses transferrable with a transfer fee that covers our work and evens out the price difference to stop commercial resellers. That would make everything more complicated and not help anyone in the end. If you still insist on it, we can probably arrange for it. But in general, the rule as stated in the FAQ applies.

Andreas
Soundtheory

atell wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 6:51 am As I've already written on Gearslutz, if you have a good reason for selling your license, simply get in touch with us and we will reimburse you.
If a customer doesn't use it anymore and wants to sell it or otherwise get their money back, say, 1.5 years from now, would they be able to get a refund?

this seems like a strange thing to say, given that most companies would not give you a refund after that time. or is it because you're not allowed to sell an early-access license or something?
Last edited by sleepcircle on Sat Aug 17, 2019 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

plexuss wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 5:21 pm If a customer doesn't use it anymore and wants to sell it or otherwise get their money back, say, 1.5 years from now, would they be able to get a refund?
If the customer has bought Gullfoss at the regular price he can sell his license and pay the PACE license transfer fees. So this only applies if you bought Gullfoss heavily discounted, like during EA or if you have received a personal discount or even have received it for free for some reason.

Then, we would look at the specific circumstances. If the customer is running a highly successful recording business then we will probably not offer a refund. If the customer is a private non-commercial user, we might offer a nearly full refund, only reduced by fees that we had to pay for the transactions and license deposits. If the user is somewhere in between we would offer a partial refund that takes into account the administrative overhead and match something like a reasonable resale price less the PACE fees. If all of that won't satisfy the customer, we may also make an individual exception and allow a transfer.

The general rule of disallowing special condition licenses to be transferred is simply preventing abuse and reducing administrative overhead. It's not there to hurt our normal customers. So you can be certain that we will work hard to satisfy the needs of our customers on an individual basis.

Andreas

And just to be clear, if a person buys Gullfoss at full price, can they sell Gullfoss for any price unfettered by Sound Theory, or are there any limitations to selling a license bought at full price?

What about a license that was bought 2nd hand - are there any restrictions on re-selling it?

plexuss wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 6:45 pm And just to be clear, if a person buys Gullfoss at full price, can they sell Gullfoss for any price unfettered by Sound Theory, or are there any limitations to selling a license bought at full price?
What about a license that was bought 2nd hand - are there any restrictions on re-selling it?
No restrictions or limitations in either case.

I came here to say that I love this plugin. Simple to use, sounds great.

You’re damn right, it’s quite amazing.

Return to “Effects”