Serato Sample, any alternatives?

Sampler and Sampling discussion (techniques, tips and tricks, etc.)
RELATED
PRODUCTS

im thinking again after i demo'ed it some months ago, to get it cause i really loved the workflow but the key recognition was not well afaik. how do you like it and are there better alternatives?

Edit : i meant serato sample not studio
Last edited by Caine123 on Sun Nov 24, 2019 8:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
DAW FL Studio Audio Interface Focusrite Scarlett 1st Gen 2i2 CPU Intel i7-7700K 4.20 GHz, RAM 32 GB Dual-Channel DDR4 @2400MHz Corsair Vengeance. MB Asus Prime Z270-K, GPU Gainward 1070 GTX GS 8GB NT Be Quiet DP 550W OS Win10 64Bit

I believe its subscription model based so you can't own a license. The benefit is most likely use of the controllers and mixers you are already using.
Intel Core2 Quad CPU + 4 GIG RAM

Im sorry i meant serato sample
DAW FL Studio Audio Interface Focusrite Scarlett 1st Gen 2i2 CPU Intel i7-7700K 4.20 GHz, RAM 32 GB Dual-Channel DDR4 @2400MHz Corsair Vengeance. MB Asus Prime Z270-K, GPU Gainward 1070 GTX GS 8GB NT Be Quiet DP 550W OS Win10 64Bit

IL Slicex has a lot(!) more options and functions. Don't know about the pitch detection though because I never use this feature.

--edited for clarification
Last edited by elassi on Sun Nov 24, 2019 9:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Serato Sample is 50% off at the moment. For this price it's a no brainer if you want easy manipulating your samples (high quality chopping/timestretching/pitchshifting). I bought it for full price and I don't regret it. It makes matching tempo and pitch of various samples so much easier and faster than using a wave editor like Sound Forge.

If only Maschine had realtime timestretching/pitchshifting like this, because not all of Serato Sample's features can be controlled with Maschine's knobs. This means stepping out of the Maschine workflow and using the mouse a lot more than I want. Which DAW do you use?

And remember you pay for what you get, because development seems to have stopped.

thx guys i didnt find a sampler like serato with time stretch/pitch function? cannot be that serato is the only one on the market :D

How do the Serato licenses activation work, CR?

electro wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 12:29 pm How do the Serato licenses activation work, CR?
https://support.serato.com/hc/en-us/art ... activation

f**k i cannot re-demo.... cause i demo'ed soe tiem ago i need to write support

Didn't see any offline option for non internet PCs. Certain Serato mixers act like dongles to auto unlock Serato DJ Pro and Serato DVS when USB connected, but every other Serato app like flip and sample seems to use internet based CR.
Lotuz2019 wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 12:32 pm
electro wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 12:29 pm How do the Serato licenses activation work, CR?
https://support.serato.com/hc/en-us/art ... activation

Too bad they've stopped all development on Serato Sample,it has alot of potential. It hasn't been updated in awhile.
INTERFACE: RME ADI-2/4 Pro/Antelope Orion Studio Synergy Core/BAE 1073 MPF Dual/Heritage Audio Successor+SYMPH EQ
SYNTHS: Korg Kronos X 88/Yamaha Montage M8x/Sequential Trigon 6/
Behringer DM12D/Pro-800

trusampler wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 1:31 pm Too bad they've stopped all development on Serato Sample,it has alot of potential. It hasn't been updated in awhile.
Are you sure? I was about to press buy right at the moment

I used the Serato Studio beta and I really liked the experience. Very straightforward streamlined workflow for music creation that centers around samples. I also have Maschine, which is obviously more comprehensive and feature packed, but can feel less streamlined sometimes when you just quickly want to create something. In Serato Studio everything is on one page and you don't have to open seperate menus to access basic parameters.

The key detection worked for me, great to get sample material from different sources into tune, which is typically a total hassle in other samplers. The realtime pitch-shifting and time-stretching algos sound really superb. You can take a one-shot sample (for example one sampled piano key) and play it chromatically without too obvious artefacts. Of course you shouldn't play it two octaves above it's original key if you want it to remain authentic, but within a reasonable range it sounds perfectly fine, unlike most samplers who attempt to do it.

Unfortunately they only offer it on a subscription basis currently. I eventually got Serato Sample instead in a sale. It does the same thing as Serato Studio, but you have to rely on your DAWs functionality for the Midi sequencing, instead of creating those Midi patterns right in Serato.

I also found that the Simpler in Ableton Live (I use the lite version sometimes) follows a quite similar approach to Serato Sample, minus the key detection (I use Ableton's tuner for that).

enCiphered wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 2:23 pm
trusampler wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 1:31 pm Too bad they've stopped all development on Serato Sample,it has alot of potential. It hasn't been updated in awhile.
Read their forums for a better view, they haven't done anything in terms of development for ages.
https://serato.com/forum/discussion/1693088
INTERFACE: RME ADI-2/4 Pro/Antelope Orion Studio Synergy Core/BAE 1073 MPF Dual/Heritage Audio Successor+SYMPH EQ
SYNTHS: Korg Kronos X 88/Yamaha Montage M8x/Sequential Trigon 6/
Behringer DM12D/Pro-800

enCiphered wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 2:23 pm
Just try the demo to see what it can and can't do. Then decide if you want to buy it. The full version works fine, so you're not buying a disfunctional product. It's just that users see that it can become so much better than it already is like trusampler says.

Return to “Samplers, Sampling & Sample Libraries”