ANA 2, DS Thorn or Biotek 2? Black Friday sales!!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS
ANA 2 BioTek 2 DS Audio Thorn Hybrid 3 SynthMaster 2 SynthMaster One Vacuum Pro Xpand!2

Hello to everyone, so, black friday just started in the audio plugin and DAW world and I'm interested in this 3 synth, ANA 2 and Thorn are about the same price (4$ of difference) and Biotek 2 upgrade is at 49$ (I already have Biotek 1) BUT, considering that I already have Synthmaster, Synthmaster One, Biotek 1, Union, Hybrid 3, Vacuum Pro, Xpand!2, it is worth buying a new synth plugin, make an upgrade with Biotek or none of them?
The one I really try the demo was Thorn, but since this days I have no time for almost nothing, only this weekend I will be able to try just a little of ANA 2, and the sales end 1 of December I think...

So, I would like to hear (read) your opinions and experiences

Thanks in advance!!!
Last edited by JohnNoizz on Fri Nov 29, 2019 4:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

I own none of the synths you own, nor any of the others on your list. I did just buy Thorn, however, after wanting it for a long time. To my ears, it has one of the most clear, present and alive sounds I've heard. Comes with really great presets, and the interface suits even an amateur like myself :tu:

Out of the ones you are after I only have experience in Thorn. This is on sale at a groundbreaking price of $49.99 at Plugin Alliance. Even cheaper if you have a personal voucher to add. This Synth, (imo) is not only easily worth the cash it is by far one of the best sounding and fun synths I have ever used. The bottom end on this thing is gorgeous. Anyway this is just my opinion and once you have time try the demo you will know if it is worth 50 bucks or not :wink:
The inner workings of vurts mind are a force to be reckoned with.
music is a need in my life...yes I could survive without it but tbh I dont know how
myfeebleeffort
https://paulroach2.bandcamp.com/
https://hearthis.at/83hdtrvm/

I like both Thorn and ANA2, both sound great and both are at an all-time low price this BF. I'd buy both :P

Thorn is perhaps a little brighter and more "modern" sounding while ANA2 is great for retro sounds. However both are very flexible synths that let you create almost any type of sound.

AdvancedFollower wrote: Thu Nov 28, 2019 12:59 pm I like both Thorn and ANA2, both sound great and both are at an all-time low price this BF. I'd buy both :P
I'm really tempted to buy both, maybe I will... :P
jethrobull wrote: Thu Nov 28, 2019 12:47 pm Anyway this is just my opinion and once you have time try the demo you will know if it is worth 50 bucks or not :wink:
Yes indeed, I know that it is a really good synth, If I could buy Thorn and ANA 2 would be great... we will see...
el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote: Thu Nov 28, 2019 12:42 pm I own none of the synths you own, nor any of the others on your list. I did just buy Thorn, however, after wanting it for a long time. To my ears, it has one of the most clear, present and alive sounds I've heard. Comes with really great presets, and the interface suits even an amateur like myself :tu:
I really liked too, well... it's just me or until now there's more love for DS Thorn? :D

Thanks for your comments!

I regret buying Biotek 2 (their products cannot be resold). It is an OK concept, and a few features are cool (automating the wave form of LFOs and the sync pitch knob on the oscillators sounds unique to me). But the components aren't that impressive. The oscillators are OK. The granular is OK, but doesn't have nearly the amount of control you can get out of many granular VSTs (same for the sampling, although you can have four samples and/or granulars--like some of the Glitchmachines). The four corner XY thing is fine but not unique (not sure if it can be automated). While the way modulation is done is neat, it is something one forgets when not using the synth for some time--and you have to figure it out again (that is true for some other synths, of course). One day, I couldn't remember where the global knob was to activate the effects--took me a while. Some of the presets sound great, so I shouldn't poo poo it too much. Still, I haven't gotten much from it (might be just me).
Doing nothing is only fun when you have something you are supposed to do.

I wouldn't buy anything that is a required "resale" but ANA2 is a beast.

JohnNoizz wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 2:11 amit's just me or until now there's more love for DS Thorn? :D
Only because a couple of us have not used the alternative options. The only member who has explains that they are both useful for different types of sound, and that you should probably get both :wink:

Thorn is one of my all-time favorite synths. Just cuts right through, perfect for what I make.

I can speak about BioTek 2. For the upgrade you have to be someone that diggs into the preset to make changes. If you aren't intrested in getting a little deep then forget the upgrade if you just Preset surf (Which is equally okay and I don't get the elitism).

Personally I get lost in Biotek 2 all the time for making sounds and come out with happy little accidents.
-------------------
Bitwig is my DAWs and UHe and Tracktion Synths are my Bae. I maybe buy one synth a year. REMEMBER SELF just one synth a year!

JohnNoizz wrote: Thu Nov 28, 2019 12:35 pm Hello to everyone, so, black friday just started in the audio plugin and DAW world and I'm interested in this 3 synth, ANA 2 and Thorn are about the same price (4$ of difference) and Biotek 2 upgrade is at 49$ (I already have Biotek 1) BUT, considering that I already have Synthmaster, Synthmaster One, Biotek 1, Union, Hybrid 3, Vacuum Pro, Xpand!2, it is worth buying a new synth plugin, make an upgrade with Biotek or none of them?
The one I really try the demo was Thorn, but since this days I have no time for almost nothing, only this weekend I will be able to try just a little of ANA 2, and the sales end 1 of December I think...

Thanks in advance!!!
If you dont have time, dont buy anything and use what you already have, but appearently you dont even have time for what you have which means you wount have time for new toys.

Again, dont buy anything.

One more vote for buy nothing :party:

But if you must, Thorn is nice.

Elektronisch wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 5:47 am
JohnNoizz wrote: Thu Nov 28, 2019 12:35 pm Hello to everyone, so, black friday just started in the audio plugin and DAW world and I'm interested in this 3 synth, ANA 2 and Thorn are about the same price (4$ of difference) and Biotek 2 upgrade is at 49$ (I already have Biotek 1) BUT, considering that I already have Synthmaster, Synthmaster One, Biotek 1, Union, Hybrid 3, Vacuum Pro, Xpand!2, it is worth buying a new synth plugin, make an upgrade with Biotek or none of them?

Thanks in advance!!!
If you dont have time, dont buy anything and use what you already have, but appearently you dont even have time for what you have which means you wount have time for new toys.

Again, dont buy anything.
Well, I mean, I don't have much time just these days because of a temporary job that I'm doing, then I will be free and with more time just to work with all the synths, what happens is that the sales ends between sunday and monday at the latest and I would like to have a good arsenal of synths to work with :wink:

Did you need those synths before black friday sales or any kind of sales ? :D

imagine im a GAS councelor :lol:

I have Biotek 1 and 2. I would say if you really like Biotek 1 and use it, then you would like the new interface, including the preset browser improvements in Biotek 2. Much improved browser! Now with a very usable filter with columns by author, category, style, etc. Plus you get some great new presets, including 100 custom designed by Richard Devine.

Other enhancements to automation and filtering, and a couple of new oscillator types are included, spinal saw, and granular.

But I don't think I would really compare Biotek with the likes of ANA or Thorn. They appear to be aimed at different markets. I really think Biotek is deep and a quite capable synth that excels in atmospheric or ambient soundscapes (due to the sample playback oscillators, and a bazillion modulation options).

But for electronic leads and basses, one of the others would probably be easier to work with.

Personally, IMHO, I would try to acquire as many diverse types of synthesis as possible, rather than many that sound alike. You end up with more sonic options that way.
Windows 10 and too many plugins

Return to “Instruments”