do you like this Dune 3 skin

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

e-crooner wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 1:46 pm Way too dark for my taste. GUI skins should be all about ergonomics, not looks.
It's actually a combination of many factors, there is no 'should be all about any one particular thing' when it comes to GUI design. I could talk about GUI till the cows come home...I went to Uni, and graduated in the field of interactive multimedia development over 10 years ago. I'm too busy doing my own re-skin projects... to get into a long debate... I did find this though..

http://bokardo.com/principles-of-user-interface-design/

Personally, I prefer dark GUI designs for VST instruments because I primarily compose music at night in the dark (obviously not too dark to impair actual functionality). Light GUI's are fine for daytime use and in some cases absolutely necessary when bright sun shine is abound in your environment.
KVR S1-Thread | The Intrancersonic-Design Source > Program Resource | Studio One Resource | Music Gallery | 2D / 3D Sci-fi Art | GUI Projects | Animations | Photography | Film Docs | 80's Cartoons | Games | Music Hardware |

Stefken wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 3:38 pm Don't know about most
exactly.

Looks nice imo :tu:

Stefken wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 3:38 pm
I don't consider this a skinjob. This would be a preset where you just changed the filter cutoff and call it your own.
exactly, its a minor edit of someone else's work

Stefken wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 3:38 pma proper skinjob
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XA9e4voN680

fisherKing wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 4:06 pm
Stefken wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 3:38 pm Don't know about most
exactly.
Yeah, that's why you are using several of my skins or mods.... Short memory apparently.

el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 4:33 pm
Yeah, you got the reference hehe.

Stefken wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 3:38 pm I don't consider this a skinjob. This would be a preset where you just changed the filter cutoff and call it your own.
Exactly what i thought about your Avenger Skins when i bought one and seen that you not changed the pitchwheel, modwheel, keyboard, buttons etc. :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Demuvi on Tue Dec 03, 2019 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Intel I9 9900X / Asus Prime X299-A / 32 GB DDR 4 / NVidia Geforce RTX 2080 / Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 / Win 10 Pro 64 Bit / Ableton Live 11 64bit / Reason 11

Stefken wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 4:39 pm
el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 4:33 pm
Yeah, you got the reference hehe.
Ok, I thought you were just being a bit rude :hihi:

ReboundAudio wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 4:45 pm
Stefken wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 3:38 pm I don't consider this a skinjob. This would be a preset where you just changed the filter cutoff and call it your own.
Exactly what i thought about your Avenger Skins when i bought one and seen that you not changed the pitchwheel, modwheel, keyboard, buttons etc. :D
That is unfair.
Just like in a song you don't actually have to do everything from scratch. A skin can contain hundreds and even thousands of images. And that is just the work on the images.

Some originals were kept as I saw no benefit in changing them. So what?
Last edited by Stefken on Tue Dec 03, 2019 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Stefken wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 4:55 pm
ReboundAudio wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 4:45 pm
That is unfair.
Just like in a song you don't actually have to do everything from scratch. A skin can contain hundreds and even thousands of images. And that is just the work on the images.

Some originals were kept. So what?
You started being unfair. He changed the Knobs etc. Only because he didn't changed all backgrounds does that means he just "changed the filterknob" ? ... I think if you would sell YOUR skins, they would have own buttons and wheels... Just my 2 cents.
Intel I9 9900X / Asus Prime X299-A / 32 GB DDR 4 / NVidia Geforce RTX 2080 / Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 / Win 10 Pro 64 Bit / Ableton Live 11 64bit / Reason 11

There is no comparison. The guy hardly changed anything. Put my skin next to the original. Are you blind?

AnX wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 4:23 pm
melodyz wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 2:29 pm Hi just want some feedback on this. I put it up for sale for cheap. I need a good name for it though. So far im calling it Dark Night.
im calling it a rip off

unless you have permission from the original GUI designer/Synapse Audio, you cannot even distribute this for free
+1 This is the important point. A person named Mikael Eidenberg created the skins for Dune 3 (and Sylenth and the new Rapid skin among others I'm sure).

For someone to take his work without permission, edit it a little bit an then charge money for that edit is wrong. It's really that simple.

It's a d-bag move and quite frankly any harsh response to that despicable act is not undeserved in my opinion.

It's like if you released a song, someone added a hi hat track to it and then tried to sell the song.

If that's not obviously wrong then I don't know what else to say. :?

I've done some minor color edits for the D3 Dark skin but I asked for and received permission to share them before doing so. Never in a million years would I have tried to sell them or even thought about doing so.

Right and wrong are crystal clear here....or should be. :shrug:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Stefken wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 5:01 pm There is no comparison. The guy hardly changed anything. Put my skin next to the original. Are you blind?
No reason to get rude just because other people have a different view of the point.
I see your skins mate. they have the original wheels, keyboard and buttons. :)

how about we send an email to the original Dune-skin artist and show them what Melodyz was selling and see how they feel about it? From my perspective as an artist, what Melodyz did looks very much like a rip-off. I think the issue is that the younger generation doesn't understand the difference between original art and copyright infringement. They've all grown up in a theft culture where no one seems to understand ownership.

Return to “Instruments”