PRODUCTS
REAPER

Reaper 6 is officially out.

http://reaper.fm/index.php

[EDIT]
6.0 What's New Guide
https://dlz.reaper.fm/userguide/R600up005.pdf

MIDI editor
display and edit CC/velocity as dots and lines, CCs as linear and curved envelopes, similar to track envelopes
add note-type buttons to default toolbar
add option to display note length in velocity lane
add option to move bank/program change events with notes
add preference to automatically reduce CC events when drawing
combine note properties and event properties into one modeless dialog
add mouse modifiers to reset CC/velocity to default values
make default CC event and CC lane mouse modifiers more like default envelope behaviors
repopulate raw MIDI data display window when switching active media item

Theming
new Default 6.0 theme with theme adjuster script allowing for extensive customization of the new default theme
layout DPI translation for HiDPI/Retina displays
apply main window size area theme element only on mouseover
improve theme rendering appearance when using custom UI scaling
apply advanced preference UI scaling changes immediately
replace tcp.dragdropchild with tcp.dragdropinfo [indent_sibling_track indent_child_track]
add additional 8 WALTER font slots
add support for midi_score_colormap, in addition to midi_note_colormap

Media items
add new "Beats (auto-stretch at tempo changes)" timebase
add action to add stretch markers at project tempo changes
add action to recalculate automatic stretch markers at project tempo changes
add action to convert embedded source media transient information to transient guides
optionally create transient guides on import for media with embedded transient information
support calculating playback rate from user-supplied tempo or length in beats
when copy/pasting items with stretch markers, preserve the original play rate

ReaScript
add MIDI_GetCCShape, MIDI_SetCCShape
add support for CC shapes to MIDI_Get(Set)AllEvts
add support for setting track playback offset value and attributes
add support for user-defined note and track notation data that is not displayed
fix setting MIDI meta-messages via API
add reduce_open_files() utility function for users running up against open file handle limitations

FX
allow embedding some plug-in UIs into track and mixer control panels
support embedding UIs for ReaEQ, ReaXComp, ReaComp, ReaSurround, and graphical JSFX
add preference to display FX list on right side of FX chain window
add preference to display add/delete buttons above list in FX chain window

macOS
Retina display arrange, ruler, MIDI editor, etc
use Metal display output on 10.11+ for various windows
add options in Preferences/General/Advanced to disable Retina support, disable Retina for non-Retina theme elements
support REX files on macOS Catalina
work around appearance issues when user forces dark mode rendering for app (requires Metal to be enabled) •

Render
include all options in "options and format" render presets
optionally embed transient information into WAV or AIFF files
support embedding tempo into AIFF files
support rendering only selected regions in an existing region render matrix •
when enabled, embed exact tempo of rendered item/time

Defaults
enable Live FX multiprocessing by default
enable track record monitoring on new tracks by default
set volume envelopes to fader scaling by default

Dynamic split
add preset support
overhaul and improvements to algorithm and gate handling
retain settings after canceling the window

Media import
properly adjust length of imported media with embedded tempo when crossing project tempo changes
support adjusting media based on tempo suggested by filename

Mouse modifiers
add double-click behaviors to reset CC value, curvature, edit properties
add preference to draw/edit CC events immediately on mouse click

Multiprocessing
auto-detect up to 128 threads
increase anticipative FX hard limit to 128 threads, live FX hard limit to 64 threads
remove old 4.x scheduler mode, non-event synchronization modes

Performance
improve performance and reduce system resource consumption with large track counts
add option in disk settings to periodically close excess open files
add option to read peaks files under a certain size completely to RAM (to reduce open file count)

Resampling
added SSE2-optimized sinc calculation (from Theo Niessink)
optimize and greatly improve quality of resampling for conversion between common rates

Toolbars
actions to switch last focused toolbar will default to switching main toolbar
improve HiDPI/Retina support (toolbar_icons/ can have 150/ and 200/ subdirs)

Tracks
support positive or negative playback time offset without affecting PDC
add action to bypass track playback offset
add user preference for max MIDI playback speed to catch up to negative track playback offset

Windows
HiDPI awareness and display improvements (auto-rescale more UI when running HiDPI aware)
improve appearance of docker, ReaPlugs, and other windows when resizing
Import
handle WAV and AIFF (Apple Loops) files containing transient information similarly to REX files

Main window
support positioning track control panels on right side of arrange

Menus
very lightly refresh main file/edit/view/insert menus

Modal windows
remember window positions (configurable option in preferences/general/advanced to tweak behavior)

Notation editor
support customized staff and note context menus

ReaFIR
add context menu mode configuration

REX
add option to ignore all embedded slice and tempo information

Routing
add track wiring view

VST3
support plugins that export MIDI note names
Last edited by Funkybot's Evil Twin on Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Well, I had a license for 3 and 4 and bypassed 5, so maybe it’s time to get 6. I don’t even know what 5 offered. Everything that was in 4 was good enough for me.

festeringheap wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 1:35 am Well, I had a license for 3 and 4 and bypassed 5, so maybe it’s time to get 6. I don’t even know what 5 offered. Everything that was in 4 was good enough for me.
5 added Notation and ARA2 support throughout it's life-cycle (among a million little things).

I paid $60 for my 4.x license, and it lasted years and years. I'm just finally getting to really learn Reaper and the idea that I had 4 and 5 for only $60 and that license lasted years, meant that I was more than happy to throw down another $60 for a 6 and 7 license.

Right, and I think spectral editing was a big deal in 5 as well. Reaper is definitely good value and I’ll likely grab 6. (And 7). That’ll get me through the 2020s... :)

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 1:47 am
festeringheap wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 1:35 am Well, I had a license for 3 and 4 and bypassed 5, so maybe it’s time to get 6. I don’t even know what 5 offered. Everything that was in 4 was good enough for me.
5 added Notation and ARA2 support throughout it's life-cycle (among a million little things).

I paid $60 for my 4.x license, and it lasted years and years. I'm just finally getting to really learn Reaper and the idea that I had 4 and 5 for only $60 and that license lasted years, meant that I was more than happy to throw down another $60 for a 6 and 7 license.
This is how I feel, as well. I just bought my licence for 6.0, after waiting about 8 years for the opportunity

Hmm, my licence is still good. I did wait quite a while to upgrade from 4-5 I guess. :tu:

bought my first license August 2006 $40, then $60 in 2009, another $60 in 2015 and that will take me through to v7

so that$160 over 13 years and probably be way past 15 years by the time the next version comes around. Reaper definitely has its annoying aspects but value for money is not one of them

A full 6.0 release.... My god, it still looks as terrible as all the previous versions have, long bloated menu windows, no modern browser, same ugly FX windows... Still looks like something from 1998... . I don't use Reaper, but crikey... I would have expected some modernisation of the DAW for those who use it... Sadly not...
KVR S1-Thread | The Intrancersonic-Design Source > Program Resource | Studio One Resource | Music Gallery | 2D / 3D Sci-fi Art | GUI Projects | Animations | Photography | Film Docs | 80's Cartoons | Games | Music Hardware |

Reaper will never look good, the UX will always be way behind the pack but the functionality, particularly for audio editing, is first rate.

Reaper default theme in 6 looks great, I am impressed enough to purchase it on this point alone,
(even if my reaper 4 still works perfectly, and is super stable) just to say 'thanks' to Cockos again

" MIDI CC Envelopes:Handle MIDI CC data as continuous data envelopes, rather than discrete events; create smooth, musical articulations and effects "

Is this just a visual trick? Or they use now something with more precision like FL or S1?

anomandaris1 wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 6:18 am " MIDI CC Envelopes:Handle MIDI CC data as continuous data envelopes, rather than discrete events; create smooth, musical articulations and effects "

Is this just a visual trick? Or they use now something with more precision like FL or S1?
just visual I think - feature request for at least a decade - for years it is was greeted with howls of derision about faking continuous lines where there were only discrete.

THE INTRANCER wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 3:46 am A full 6.0 release.... My god, it still looks as terrible as all the previous versions have, long bloated menu windows, no modern browser, same ugly FX windows... Still looks like something from 1998... . I don't use Reaper, but crikey... I would have expected some modernisation of the DAW for those who use it... Sadly not...
The GUI however like FairlyClose mentioned will Never be That Pretty tbh. After awhile It becomes a Charm to the Program.
It's not this Visually pleasing expensive product.
It's ugly, It's weird, Its lightweight, It's affordable, It's as powerful as any program on the Market, and it's far more Customizable then any competitor allowing you to literally mold the Daw to fit your Workflow . Thats the whole Reaper charm imo and some are gonna love it and others think its to much extra work and thats a valid and respectable opinion.

"It's Pretty". has never been on that list, even tho for what its worth I SUPER dig the New GUI. I like it a LOT honestly.

sidenote: The Menus are Hideous yes and I HATED that but thats what the ReaMenus Extension fixes and its a LIFESAVER, I wish COKOs would intergrade that SWS into the Vanilla program.
The post above this is likely bait, viewer discretion is advised.

Spencer Maddox wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:03 am
THE INTRANCER wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 3:46 am A full 6.0 release.... My god, it still looks as terrible as all the previous versions have, long bloated menu windows, no modern browser, same ugly FX windows... Still looks like something from 1998... . I don't use Reaper, but crikey... I would have expected some modernisation of the DAW for those who use it... Sadly not...
The GUI however like FairlyClose mentioned will Never be That Pretty tbh. After awhile It becomes a Charm to the Program.
It's not this Visually pleasing expensive product.
It's ugly, It's weird, Its lightweight, It's affordable, It's as powerful as any program on the Market, and it's far more Customizable then any competitor allowing you to literally mold the Daw to fit your Workflow . Thats the whole Reaper charm imo and some are gonna love it and others think its to much extra work and thats a valid and respectable opinion.

"It's Pretty". has never been on that list, even tho for what its worth I SUPER dig the New GUI. I like it a LOT honestly.

sidenote: The Menus are Hideous yes and I HATED that but thats what the ReaMenus Extension fixes and its a LIFESAVER, I wish COKOs would intergrade that SWS into the Vanilla program.
and the new version / theme saves the fx window position - hooray!!!! I can open a new project and one track is there with fx window open and exactly where I want it. another hooray!!!

Have to agree with you, surprisingly ;)
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”