Reaper 6.0 Is Live

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
REAPER

antic604 wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:32 am
THE INTRANCER wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 3:46 am A full 6.0 release.... My god, it still looks as terrible as all the previous versions have, long bloated menu windows, no modern browser, same ugly FX windows... Still looks like something from 1998... . I don't use Reaper, but crikey... I would have expected some modernisation of the DAW for those who use it... Sadly not...
Have to agree with you, surprisingly ;)
thing is - and I am not going to claim Reaper has a great interface out of the box - but the audio editing is second to none - way better than Live or Bitwig or FL for example. Those programs have their strengths too - but Reaper kills it for audio... once you tweak t to how you want. If something else came along with much better audio editing - or even just as good - I would seriously consider going through the tedious frustrating process of shifting DAWs - but so far nothing has

fairlyclose wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:36 am
THE INTRANCER wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 3:46 am A full 6.0 release.... My god, it still looks as terrible as all the previous versions have, long bloated menu windows, no modern browser, same ugly FX windows... Still looks like something from 1998... . I don't use Reaper, but crikey... I would have expected some modernisation of the DAW for those who use it... Sadly not...
thing is - and I am not going to claim Reaper has a great interface out of the box - but the audio editing is second to none - way better than Live or Bitwig or FL for example. Those programs have their strengths too - but Reaper kills it for audio... once you tweak t to how you want. If something else came along with much better audio editing - or even just as good - I would seriously consider going through the tedious frustrating process of shifting DAWs - but so far nothing has
Audition? Samplitude?

Wow, can't wait to try it out after I get home !!
My dear daw :hug:
Bought version 5, so version 6 upgrade is free :tu:

Spencer Maddox wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:03 am sidenote: The Menus are Hideous yes and I HATED that but thats what the ReaMenus Extension fixes and its a LIFESAVER, I wish COKOs would intergrade that SWS into the Vanilla program.
Which hasn't been updated for almost two years... wondering what menu items/features that have been added to the main app since then remain hidden because... that's how the extension was written (AKA it shows only what it was told to show, and nothing else).

And the last version is not in the stash, not on the first page of the thread but... on the last page, yay! :clap:
Last edited by perfumer on Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Good to see there has been work on integrating tempo changes and time stretching, that has frustrated me in the past.

Another Reaper 4 license-holder here who got their money's worth :-)

perfumer wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:01 am
fairlyclose wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:36 am
Audition? Samplitude?
much better than Samplitude (which I used to own and bought thinking I would transition to from Reaper) and for multitrack also Audition up to when it turned subscription and I no longer updated (Audition was better for single wav files tho and I would still use it as primary editor within Reaper if they had not gone subscription)

At last! My wallet has been ready for this for a long time now :phones:

Regarding the visuals: i never had any complaints with it's looks and i also don't get a boner when looking at other DAWs, but i thought maybe they would rethink/deklunk the rest of the user experience/workflow a bit. Not that i can't get along with it, but let's say there's still some room for improvements here and there in these regards.

I was also hoping that maybe some external scripts would have made it into standard Reaper behavior by now.

Other than that i'm really happy that i can finally say that i have a license for it after one year of waiting for v6!
(Which of course has been more than just kind from them, other developers surely would not have allowed such a long ‘demo‘ period :tu: )
The GAS is always greener on the other side!

FapFilter wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:14 am Regarding the visuals: i never had any complaints with it's looks and i also don't get a boner when looking at other DAWs, but i thought maybe they would rethink/deklunk the rest of the user experience/workflow a bit.
The danger is people who know the workflow and where everything is now would have to start again. I've shied away from these alt menu extensions, would rather learn the app natively so I can just use it without worrying about what is or is not installed.

As for visuals, I've stuck with the Konzentration theme (slightly tweaked) for a few years now. Minimal, functional and the right balance of light/dark for me. I've nothing against the default GUI just other options fit better on my laptop where I do most stuff nowadays. As opposed to, say, Bitwig which is like rummaging through a dark box of LEDs at times. :)

u shouldn't use plugins in reaper since its so perfect for managing large projects. how are u going to manage both a large file based project and an enormous cluster f**k of plugin windows all from different developers with their own visual tastes

The danger is people who know the workflow and where everything is now would have to start again. I've shied away from these alt menu extensions, would rather learn the app natively so I can just use it without worrying about what is or is not installed.
true, but what's the point of actually having three different ways of reaching the FX list, of which imo only one of them works decently (right clicking the FX button), except for the fact that you can't arrange plugin order or enable / disable specific ones from there and the other two are really poorly designed from a workflow point of view that are just cumbersome to handle.
Why not just a single effects list window that actually works smoothly without needless klicks and additional windows with different layouts
The GAS is always greener on the other side!

Yes. I also got reaper 5 since last year and it is very very powerful! But after many hours i just didnt like to work with it. Maybe i just need more time but i use fl studio since then again and come up with tracks etc.... it is more fun but still a f**king daw for crashes and instabilities.....

Reaper should finally offer some user friendliness and options. Hardcore users can still use their setrings but for 2000 kids i wish a modernized gui and options. Just optional! Without having to get through 20 hacks
DAW FL Studio Audio Interface Focusrite Scarlett 1st Gen 2i2 CPU Intel i7-7700K 4.20 GHz, RAM 32 GB Dual-Channel DDR4 @2400MHz Corsair Vengeance. MB Asus Prime Z270-K, GPU Gainward 1070 GTX GS 8GB NT Be Quiet DP 550W OS Win10 64Bit

fairlyclose wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:36 am ...
thing is - and I am not going to claim Reaper has a great interface out of the box - but the audio editing is second to none - way better than Live or Bitwig or FL for example. Those programs have their strengths too - but Reaper kills it for audio...
Sorry, but it's really nothing to brag about if a fully fledged DAW has better audio editing capabilities than performance and pattern oriented applications like Live, Bitwig or FL Studio. These programs simply follow different paradigms: Live, Bitwig and FL allowing users to instantly turn musical ideas into complex compositions, while Reaper allows you to do almost any sort of edit you can think of, but is a complete mess user experience wise. Hence Live, Bitwig and FL are used by people who actually create great music, while Reaper is a niche product for nerds who like to access exotic parameters hidden in the depths of Reapers menu.

The more adequate comparison when it comes to in-depth editing of audio and midi would be Cubase, Logic or Studio One anyway and I prefer all three of them over Reaper any day. The issue with Reaper is that most features were implemented in a manner that doesn't take workflow and user experience needs into account. Hence, trying to create music in Reaper (especially using MIDI and virtual instruments) is neither an efficient, streamlined process, nor fun (unlike making music in Ableton Live for example).

I must say though the new routing diagram in Reaper looks cool and probably makes the whole routing experience in Reaper, which has been very comprehensive but always a total hassle to work with, easier.

Izak Synthiemental wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:34 am Hence Live, Bitwig and FL are used by people who actually create great music, while Reaper is a niche product for nerds who like to access exotic parameters hidden in the depths of Reapers menu.
FFS, why frame your shit like that? It's like me saying like Live, Bitwig and FL are for clueless kids who just want to drag a few loops about and kid themselves they're making something essential. Totally inaccurate, missing the point and needlessly antagonistic. Do f**k off to one of the other Reaper bashing threads, this thread is not the place for this shit.

(Reaper and Ableton user for the record).

GaryG wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:16 am
FFS, why frame your shit like that? ... Do f**k off t...
Calm down dude, take a few deep breaths and get comfortable with the idea that not every single person in the known universe shares your subjective individual opinion. You are (unnecessarily) taking my statements about Reaper personally, which indicates that you got other mental issues going on (which is absolutely okay).

If you enjoy Reaper, that's fine. I might even try the new version myself, not for music composition purposes though (I have given up the hope here, after wholeheartedly trying to like Reaper repeatedly since version 2 all over again up to version 5.x but the workflow efficiency barely improved over all these years), but for sound design.

If your life has arrived at a stage where you feel personally insulted because someone dislikes your favorite DAW, something has to be seriously wrong! I don't blame you, but please also don't blame and insult me.

Izak Synthiemental wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:34 am
I must say though the new routing diagram in Reaper looks cool and probably makes the whole routing experience in Reaper, which has been very comprehensive but always a total hassle to work with, easier.
I find it funny how people who cant figure out how to use it are the ones who complain, while people who do use it love it. I used ableton and reason. The main reason I use ableton is because it just works better with some midi controllers I bought, otherwise its honestly pretty similar.

If you like to play around with sounds and hope that something fun comes out then yea I guess some daws are more fun to play with. But if you can come up with ideas in your head it really doesnt matter what daw you use. I dont come up with an idea and then abort it completely when I hear something else by mistake. I might be interested in it and try it out, but Im always initially trying to achieve something I want. If I start a track I always have a good idea of what it will sound like, you could give me any DAW and it will sound really similar and I would argue most musicians who are making real money can do the same.

The truth is, ableton just works, and reaper is just powerful. If you cant do your part to use it, dont critizice it because you dont measure up. Its like saying who could ever want a Bentley? Easy to say when you will never afford one.
Last edited by mguerrero90 on Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:48 am, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”