Reaper 6.0 Is Live

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
REAPER

Izak Synthiemental wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:23 am I don't think that Reaper users are more likely to have a thorough understanding of music theory then say Live, Logic or Cubase users. So what justifies a claim that Ableton Live users were all clueless kids, while Reaper users are all trained
Well that is just plain wrong...

All potential Reaper users have to undergo a comprehensive psychological evaluation before they can even apply for a license and then before any license is issued,there are torturous physical requirements that have to be met,as well as musical performances that include such things as yodelling and a small selection of unaccompanied arias from obscure Siberian operas :wink:
No auto tune...

I've had a look, and Live is still Live, so Reaper cant be.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

Reaper is dead....

Dead cool...

Without the rigor mortis :)
No auto tune...

whyterabbyt wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 4:08 pm I've had a look, and Live is still Live, so Reaper cant be.
reapers end lives matter.

deleted
Last edited by replicant X on Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Each DAW has a different sound.

sleepcircle wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 1:39 am everyone posting here about which daw is best is missing the point of owning a daw, i.e. to make music and sound stuff.

so why don't you all stop arguing and go make something. you will feel better and more accomplished and will no longer need to tie your self-worth to the program you use.

EDIT: To anyone thinking of replying with "insulting each other about software is what this forum is FOR :hihi: " or "you haven't been on the internet long ;)" or something similar: if you have spent enough time on these forums that you know that's what they're for, then you must know that these jokes have been made so many times that they don't really need repeating.
and I am now subscribed to this after a bunch of reports, a lot of deletions by a different mod (I actually slept 11 hours last night) and you can expect a few people to be invited out of this thread.

I will indeed moderate this thread and others that pop up exactly like I did with Massive X threads. I know there are trolls, I know people want to get their shot it or response to any trolls that might happen along but that only exacerbates the problem...please dont feed the trolls, report them. You statements as in attacks are a quick way out of this thread.

Big release, a lot of feelings over it from many angles, but we can keep it civil and we will.
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

Izak Synthiemental wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 2:33 pmI find the idea horribly annoying to have so many MIDI notes all being displayed and edited on the same track simultaenously and I don't miss that function at all in my workflow. Notes belonging to different MIDI channels discernible by different colors? That's not a workflow I
It's like you're missing the point that there's a filter so that you don't have to have "so many notes all being displayed"... That's like one of the main features of a good MIDI editor - a good event filter. By default you only see one MIDI channel, of course. So nothing is cluttered - but it's easy to show channels in parallel if need be.

But in any case apparently you cannot recognize this as a valid feature (instead it's "bloat" even though it supports MIDI spec fully as it's supposed to be) because "it's not how you use stuff". Amazing. Well guess what, there are people who use MIDI channels so it's not bloat to them, it's a necessity.

Izak Synthiemental wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 2:33 pmfor example when I have a MIDI track addressing a multimbral drum instrument, I usually want to have the different drum sounds on separate MIDI tracks all addressing the same VST instrument, which then outputs the various instruments to different audio channels / busses (depending on the mixer architecture of your DAW)

Horrible. :P
Last edited by EvilDragon on Thu Dec 05, 2019 5:57 pm, edited 4 times in total.

JJ_Jettflow wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 2:45 pm
EvilDragon wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 12:23 pm Hey, Nightwish had some really great stuff. Ghost Love Score is an amazing song, say. But the first few albums are golden.

(Pain Of Salvation though... now that's what we're talking about, although they do walk between genres often...)
Devin Townsend

Absolutely!

replicant X wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 4:22 pm 'Show Track Control Panel on right side of arrange window'
This option is very simple but surprisingly comfortable.
I thought so too. I much prefer it on the right.
The inner workings of vurts mind are a force to be reckoned with.
music is a need in my life...yes I could survive without it but tbh I dont know how
myfeebleeffort
https://paulroach2.bandcamp.com/
https://hearthis.at/83hdtrvm/

EvilDragon wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 5:53 pm

It's like you're missing the point that there's a filter so that you don't have to have "so many notes all being displayed"... That's like one of the main features of a good MIDI editor - a good event filter. By default you only see one MIDI channel, of course. So nothing is cluttered - but it's easy to show channels in parallel if need be.
Not missing any point my evil friend, you already mentioned that they can be filtered. What's the use of having all MIDI events on one single track, only so that under certain circumstances you have to take an additional step and filter them, when you could have all MIDI channels separated on a per track basis to begin with?

You still fail to explain a reasonable scenario where such a "all MIDI events on one singular track" actually would make sense! I assume there is no such scenario, hence you can not claim that Reaper is superior, just because it has this additional (useless) feature.

Also mind, that user experience / usability overall is a more elemental category to evaluate the quality of a software product as opposed to number of random features that barely add any value for the intended applications the software is supposed to fulfil. What's the use of "all MIDI on one track" when for example the underlying MIDI editor (according to many hardcore Reaper users) is barely usable at all? Not to mention that the conventional, gold-standard approach is to have MIDI tracks separated on a per channel basis!

My free advice: you need to learn to set your priorities right when evaluating DAWs!
Last edited by Obsolete236871 on Thu Dec 05, 2019 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I already gave you a reasonable scenario (MPE) which you wrote off because you have no need for it. Well I have a ROLI Rise 49 (and Expressive E Osmose on the way next summer, since I preordered). MPE is cool, and hosts that can't deal with multiple MIDI channels in a single item can shove it.

It is also easier to deal with MIDI guitars (they send events from each string over a different MIDI channel) from a single track. It is also very cool to deal with polyphonic voicings this way (note color separates different voices, helps with voice leading, etc.)

It's far from a useless feature. Kthxbye. :)
Last edited by EvilDragon on Thu Dec 05, 2019 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Izak Synthiemental wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 6:34 pm
EvilDragon wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 5:53 pm

Not missing any point my evil friend, you already mentioned that they can be filtered. What's the use of having all MIDI events on one single track, only so that under certain circumstances you have to take an additional step and filter them, when you could have all MIDI channels separated on a per track basis to begin with?

You still fail to explain a reasonable scenario where such a "all MIDI events on one singular track" actually would make sense! I assume there is no such scenario, hence you can not claim that Reaper is superior, just because it has this additional (useless) feature.

Also mind, that user experience / usability overall is a more elemental category to evaluate the quality of a software product as opposed to number of random features that barely add any value for the intended applications the software is supposed to fulfil. What's the use of "all MIDI on one track" when for example the underlying MIDI editor (according to many hardcore Reaper users) is barely usable at all? Not to mention that the conventional, gold-standard approach is to have MIDI tracks separated on a per channel basis!

My free advice: you need to learn to set your priorities right when evaluating DAWs!
my free advice to you? You dont need to be telling people what they need to do, your experience may vary from others...also EvilDragon has no obligation to prove anything to you nor does anyone else when it comes to workflow
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

Does anyone know if the bugs in the hardware insert plugin is fixed in reaper 6? It has been so unstable for me in the past that I've been forced to use another tools for hardware processing. I can easily see Reaper as my only DAW if this feature would work properly. I've been using Reaper for over 10 years and this is still on the top of my wishlist.

I'm curious about if the track wiring diagram in Reaper 6.0 can be used as "Racks" comparable to Racks 2.0 in Waveform and Patcher in FL Studio? This is one feature I lack in my workflow in Reaper, the inability to create complex FX chains and routings visually. Any tips and opinions would be really appreciated!

Edit: [Self moderated]
C/R, dongles & other intrusive copy protection equals less-control & more-hassle for consumers. Company gone-can’t authorize. Limit to # of auths. Instability-ie PACE. Forced internet auths. THE HONEST ARE HASSLED, NOT THE PIRATES.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”