Reaper 6.0 Is Live

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
REAPER

exponent1 wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 7:10 pm I'm curious about if the track wiring diagram in Reaper 6.0 can be used as "Racks" comparable to Racks 2.0 in Waveform and Patcher in FL Studio? This is one feature I lack in my workflow in Reaper, the inability to create complex FX chains and routings visually. Any tips and opinions would be really appreciated!
i dont think it is for track FX like Racks, more just a visualiasation of the track routing - something like DDMF Metaplugin can be useful if you like working with complex plugin chains . BlueCat have their own Patchwork as well that I heard is good but Reaper can do much the same as Patchwork quite easily. Metaplugin is more what you are looking for I think
Last edited by fairlyclose on Thu Dec 05, 2019 7:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.

exponent1 wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 7:10 pm I'm curious about if the track wiring diagram in Reaper 6.0 can be used as "Racks" comparable to Racks 2.0 in Waveform and Patcher in FL Studio? This is one feature I lack in my workflow in Reaper, the inability to create complex FX chains and routings visually. Any tips and opinions would be really appreciated!
Not quite... Track wiring diagram is about routing between tracks, not between various plugins loaded on a track.

audiojunkie wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 7:26 pm Edit: [Self moderated]
too late..
I read it... :tu:

fairlyclose wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 7:48 pm i dont think it is for track FX like Racks, more just a visualiasation of the track routing - something like DDMF Metaplugin can be useful if you like working with complex plugin chains . BlueCat have their own Patchwork as well that I heard is good
EvilDragon wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 7:49 pm Not quite... Track wiring diagram is about routing between tracks, not between various plugins loaded on a track.
Thank you for the clarification! Is there any way to achieve this in Reaper without employing an external vst host?

Not visually...no!

EvilDragon wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 7:49 pm
Not quite... Track wiring diagram is about routing between tracks, not between various plugins loaded on a track.
Yes...
but
do you think it might lead to this in the future?

exponent1 wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 7:56 pm
fairlyclose wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 7:48 pm i dont think it is for track FX like Racks, more just a visualiasation of the track routing - something like DDMF Metaplugin can be useful if you like working with complex plugin chains . BlueCat have their own Patchwork as well that I heard is good
EvilDragon wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 7:49 pm Not quite... Track wiring diagram is about routing between tracks, not between various plugins loaded on a track.
Thank you for the clarification! Is there any way to achieve this in Reaper without employing an external vst host?
I think you can do all of that in Reaper using multichannel tracks and the pin matrix connectors but it is very clunky once you want split FX chains eg first two FX in series, then split chain into two branches that now run in parallel. if you really want to get into complex fx routing go for Metaplugin when it is on sale - it is not expensive and will save you hours of frustration (although it has a terrible menu for finding FX). For simple parallel routing like Patchwork, Reaper does that easily

Trancit wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 7:57 pm Not visually...no!
Yes, there are some scripts for that, like mpl WiredChain.

EvilDragon wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 8:02 pm
Trancit wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 7:57 pm Not visually...no!
Yes, there are some scripts for that, like mpl WiredChain.
yeah but that is not close to racks or Metaplugin in usability - very much a workaround to use if you cant afford something better. And sometimes one cant afford better in which case Wired Chain is better than nothing

That's not true, also the audio flow of the channels of a single track is visualized and editable in this view, see this example:
reaper_signal_flow.png
I would really like to see an option, that only the current selected track(s) are shown in the wiring diagram, as I see this as the only advantage compated to the routing matrix. But maybe I must work a while with Reaper 6 to appreciate the wiring diagram in its entirety..
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Klinke wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:37 pm

That's not true, also the audio flow of the channels of a single track is visualized and editable in this view, see this example:
reaper_signal_flow.png

I would really like to see an option, that only the current selected track(s) are shown in the wiring diagram, as I see this as the only advantage compated to the routing matrix. But maybe I must work a while with Reaper 6 to appreciate the wiring diagram in its entirety..
Thanks, i had not looked at that detail. Still looks more a minor reskin of the pin matrix view rather than a wiring view like Racks , bidule etc. But clearer than the old system

Klinke wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:37 pmNot quite... Track wiring diagram is about routing between tracks, not between various plugins loaded on a track...
Yeah, true... But this view doesn't help much, really... One benefit is you can see pins for all plugins at once, but that's it. It's not exactly as intuitive as a patching view would be (like in Reaktor, say).

EvilDragon wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:11 pm
Klinke wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:37 pmNot quite... Track wiring diagram is about routing between tracks, not between various plugins loaded on a track...
Yeah, true... But this view doesn't help much, really... One benefit is you can see pins for all plugins at once, but that's it. It's not exactly as intuitive as a patching view would be (like in Reaktor, say).
just had a play with it and agree - it is an improvement but not that handy - too small for one thing. But a start which might get improved sometime down the track

I needed some time till it clicked, but now I find it an extremly clever solution and I prefer it a lot compared to the WiredChain script, and other solution where you move blocks and get easily an overview that looks like spaghetti. In my opinion the main disadvantage compared to other solutions is the need for mixers when you want to merge back the splitted signal.
Last edited by Klinke on Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Klinke wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:21 pm I needed some time till it clicked, but now I find it an extremly clever solution and I prefer it a lot compared to the WiredChain script, and other solution where you move blocks and get easily an overview that looks like spaghetti. In my opinion the main disadvantage compared to other solutions is the need for mixers when you want to merge back the splitted signal.
interesting, I'd at least need to be able to zoom in and out for it to work for me - is that possible? My usual scroll wheeling did not work

Also the dangling cable thing is not very good - gets in the way of vision - unless there is some way of shifting them?

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”