Reaper 6.0 Is Live

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
REAPER

Sure, 6 might not seem like a major leap over 5 (.99 ;) ), but i think it only appears so because of the constant improvements within each incremental 0.1 or 0.01 updates that often improve on it in the same magnitude.
So 6 is just a number, it could have been named 5.99 aswell (if that hasn't been given to another release a few days prior to this one)
If you don't think R6 is worth your money, you still have 5.99 that surely is more than good enough already for serious work.
The GAS is always greener on the other side!

UI in new version is terrible even by Reaper standards.
So many resources wasted for creating ugly look when it could be enough just polish v5.
Now UI is less usable, but more configurable.
With an additional layers of scripting complexity.
And now you can configure it in million different ways, but non of them help.

I like the new look, but i also liked the 5 theme.
Good thing it's still there so you can use that (or the one from 4) instead of the new one
The GAS is always greener on the other side!

I have some old reaper installation in my comp, but I don't do anything with it. Have maybe opened it just couple of times. The reason is the USER INTERFACE! The guys at cockos seem to have no understanding how big obstacle it is for anyone who hasn't used it before.

The reaper GUI has to be redesigned functionally and visually, starting at a clean sheet. Cockos needs to hire a professional interface designer for the job to get it properly done.

Tj Shredder wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 10:12 am Was the 6.0 not just because they ran out of numbers and finally wanted to get harryupbabble to join?
Yeah, now that you mention harry: Yes yes yes :hihi:
free mp3s + info: andy-enroe.de songs + weird stuff: enroe.de

EvilDragon wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 6:36 pmIt is also easier to deal with MIDI guitars (they send events from each string over a different MIDI channel) from a single track. It is also very cool to deal with polyphonic voicings this way (note color separates different voices, helps with voice leading, etc.)

It's far from a useless feature.
I am assuming he may not use a MIDI guitar, so expect the 'useless feature' tirade to continue.

I love my MIDI guitar, and (for me anyway) having all channels contained within one MIDI track is preferable to dealing with individual tracks per string.

harvon wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 11:39 am I have some old reaper installation in my comp, but I don't do anything with it. Have maybe opened it just couple of times. The reason is the USER INTERFACE! The guys at cockos seem to have no understanding how big obstacle it is for anyone who hasn't used it before.

The reaper GUI has to be redesigned functionally and visually, starting at a clean sheet. Cockos needs to hire a professional interface designer for the job to get it properly done.
What's the problem with the UI? It's perfectly logical to me. You have the Arrange window, with several (detachable) editing windows, including the mixer, in the bottom. What's the problem with this?
Fernando (FMR)

fmr wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 1:54 pm What's the problem with the UI? It's perfectly logical to me. You have the Arrange window, with several (detachable) editing windows, including the mixer, in the bottom. What's the problem with this?
errrrmmmmm

noooo...
mixer on the left, showing selected track... like samplitude, cubase etc :P
unless mixing, when maybe the arrange is pushed far right or mixer is undocked :wink:

Last edited by codec_spurt on Sat Mar 07, 2020 5:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sounds like you had some 32-bit plugins bridged in 64-bit Reaper, and they didn't terminate properly after you closed your project/quit Reaper, so they left hanging around.

stacev wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 10:55 am UI in new version is terrible even by Reaper standards.
It doesn't meet my taste, too, but why complain? Afaik Reaper is the only DAW that comes with a new look when a new 0 is reached, however: it's an offer, not an obligation to use it. I'll stick with v5 theme and keep on being happy with it.

You have a point, though, that blocking coding resources for UI tasks may be wasted time. I don't need that either. OTH the look of Reaper is one of the things that make people freak out (for evidence see this thread). :shrug:

Personally i love the new GUI, and i appreciate everything about Reaper and v6. Pre v6 i never really liked a lot any of the GUI's but yeah i suppose that the option to keep 5 or change to any other theme is good for all.

I'd like to preface this by saying that I absolutely love Reaper. We've spent many 100s of hours together.

Having said that, I can't imagine what a person opening up Reaper for the first time will think being confronted with this hot mess. Here's an example of the Track Control Panel in various configurations. Notice the lonely "center" waiting for a pan knob/control. And when it does show up...it's not...centered. I also love how the "0.00db" is cleverly disconnected from the fader/volume control. Below are a few examples. In the bottom example, you find the pan knob/control directly above the "0.00db".

Yes, I can find ways to overlook this or use another great theme, but it is disappointing that fundamental design issues distract from what is a great piece of software. Yikes.

4073.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

h2ogun99 wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 5:14 pm I'd like to preface this by saying that I absolutely love Reaper. We've spent many 100s of hours together.

Having said that, I can't imagine what a person opening up Reaper for the first time will think being confronted with this hot mess. Here's an example of the Track Control Panel in various configurations. Notice the lonely "center" waiting for a pan knob/control. And when it does show up...it's not...centered. I also love how the "0.00db" is cleverly disconnected from the fader/volume control. Below are a few examples. In the bottom example, you find the pan knob/control directly above the "0.00db".
Yep, when I switched to the Reaper 6 theme, I thought something went wrong with the installation because of this issues. Then I checked other screenshots, saw, that this the normal default look :o, and switched back to my old theme.

h2ogun99 wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 5:14 pm I'd like to preface this by saying that I absolutely love Reaper. We've spent many 100s of hours together.

Having said that, I can't imagine what a person opening up Reaper for the first time will think being confronted with this hot mess. Here's an example of the Track Control Panel in various configurations. Notice the lonely "center" waiting for a pan knob/control. And when it does show up...it's not...centered. I also love how the "0.00db" it cleverly disconnected from the fader/volume control. Below are a few examples. In the bottom example, you find the pan knob/control directly above the "0.00db".

Yes, I can find ways to overlook this or use another great theme, but it is disappointing that fundamental design issues distract from what is a great piece of software. Yikes.
:clap: Thanks, I hope you've mentioned this on the Reaper forums? UX is something Cockos flatly are not good at. Evidence in the newly designed Routing graphic that it's not going away anytime soon.

They're so good everywhere else that I'll still use the software for sure, and honestly it's far worse to worry about other things than the GUI and UX, it's just weird how little thought is put into this part of Reaper.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”