Have Tal-Dac - do I need Decimort2?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I already have Tal-Dac - Decimort2 is currently on sale.

I'm demoing a bunch of things including the Decimort2. I think Decimort might have a couple of more filters (Approx and Image) - but then Tal Dac might have them but they are built in to another part of the emulation.

Opinions from people that have both? Does Decimort2 have anything that Tal Dac lacks? Any real difference in the quality of sounds (or lack of) they produce?
Pastoral, Kosmiche, Ambient Music https://markgriffiths.bandcamp.com/
Experimental Music https://markdaltongriffiths.bandcamp.com/

I'm using the demo of TAL-DAC to compare. They are a bit different in their approach to recreate that vintage sampler sound and therefore also sound a bit different. Decimort doesn't have the reconstruction modes for example. TAL-DAC on the other hand doesn't have all those filters, especially the LP/BP/HP/BR. And when you walk through Decimort's presets, you'll hear the big impact that filter can have on the sound. Does the full version of TAL-DAC also come with about ten presets?

Lotuz2019 wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 5:51 am Does the full version of TAL-DAC also come with about ten presets?
thanks, from memory, yes.

messing with it last night although some of the sounds are almost identical it seems that Decimort can add in alot of high frequencies - it seems TAL-DAC less so. I'm thinking I'll probably get Decimort as well.
Pastoral, Kosmiche, Ambient Music https://markgriffiths.bandcamp.com/
Experimental Music https://markdaltongriffiths.bandcamp.com/

Don't have the TAL plugin, but Decimort is up there in my favorites list :tu:

To me the king of these sorts of plugins is Plogue Chipcrusher -- lots of codecs and mangling options available, plus optional noise and a convoluion-based filter/speaker/cabinet.

But I keep Decimort around for its own flavor, which is tasty at times :)

I just noticed Decimort oddly uses more CPU than most of my plugins, dependent on the sample rate. The quality setting doesn't seem to affect that.

Looks like Plogue Chipcrusher is trying to emulate vintage toys and video games. Whereas Tal DAC and Decimort are trying to emulate vintage samplers like the Akais and EMUs.
Orion Platinum, Muzys 2

Now that TAL Software is having a BF sale too:

Have Decimort2 - do I need Tal-Dac? :lol:

Decimort is, I think, much better at being an audible affect, whereas Tal-Dac is more subtle. I use Decimort for bit crushing sweeps and plunges into distorted chaos, at certain settings it works effectively like a low pass filter, but with loads of character. Tal-Dac is better for what it says on the tin, taking a drum loop and making it feel like it's been sampled through an old sampler. The controls are more subtle, but the sound is great.

Lotuz2019 wrote: Thu Nov 28, 2019 3:43 pm Now that TAL Software is having a BF sale too:

Tal Dac is free with Tal Sampler, so it's probably better to ask if you want Tal Sampler, I just bought it (also own Decimort2) and I'm sure I'll find some uses for both Decimort and Dac along with lots of use of Sampler

Digivolt wrote: Thu Nov 28, 2019 5:44 pm
Lotuz2019 wrote: Thu Nov 28, 2019 3:43 pm Now that TAL Software is having a BF sale too:

Tal Dac is free with Tal Sampler, so it's probably better to ask if you want Tal Sampler, I just bought it (also own Decimort2) and I'm sure I'll find some uses for both Decimort and Dac along with lots of use of Sampler
No doubt that's a lot value for money (under EUR 40), but in my case the choice between TAL-Sampler or just TAL-DAC depends on how far you can integrate TAL-Sampler with Maschine. Are all controls assigned to Maschine's knobs? It looks like it, but for some reason the sample start, end, loop etc. seem disconnected. I might be doing something wrong or maybe it's a limitation of the demo (3.0.1 beta).

Last day of the TAL BF sale... Already decided I won't go for TAL-Sampler. TAL-DAC suits my workflow better. But I already have Decimort 2, RX-950, Sonitex STX-1260 and Maschine for bitcrushing duties. Therefore I shouldn't spend money on more plugins that only give me very subtle differences. Differences that I might not even notice myself when I hear the total mix. But TAL-DAC sure is nice... :neutral:

It really simply depends wether the results consistently sound better to you, or give you another flavour that you really need.
I have TAL Sampler and could use DAC that Sampler users get for free, but i personally don't need it as i'm set with Decimort and TBK2.

But i also don't use TAL Sampler for it's bit crushing capabilities. It's simply because Reaper doesn't come with a great sampler on it's own and the TAL one is quick and a joy to use.
The GAS is always greener on the other side!

Thanks FF.

Bought TAL-DAC for the BF price a few minutes ago. I'm selling RX950. :hihi:

All about TAL Sampler over DAC for me, I don't even use the latter.. love pitching samples up and down in the sampler.

Airwindows DeRez2 and Slew are also very nice for some sampler grunge as an insert.

My wish is for someone like goodhertz to make a sampler dac section emu, I feel like there is still room for improvement in this area, console emulation as well.

s28 wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 4:18 pm All about TAL Sampler over DAC for me, I don't even use the latter.. love pitching samples up and down...
This.

Return to “Effects”