Reaper 6.0 Is Live

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
REAPER

Looks just like v 5.9999999999999999999999 or whatever the last version was.

e-crooner wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 8:05 pm Looks just like v 5.9999999999999999999999 or whatever the last version was.
Exactly. I started out with an early 4 version but will stick with 5.9999999999.672.8 for another while until they see more of my hard earned dough. At the moment I spend way more time with Ableton anyway - really miss their native session view (clips/scenes) in reaper.

Sure of course. I don't hold grudges online, that's dumb, it's just words on a screen. No harm done or meant.

IMO anyway, Reaper isn't really lacking much beyond ergonomic workflow, you can painstakingly sculpt it into one, for the most part, it's just frustrating that upfront it's obtuse, and honestly the stock GUI still isn't that great. It would be fantastic if they bothered to hire or were to start looking into modern design and UX standards. Again mostly because increased interest in Reaper is always a good thing. :)

Right now anyway, it's looking like the next update to DP10 is going to win my attention, but I will be all over Reaper 6 until then.
Yeah glad you feel like that, its always best to move on and not take things too seriously.
Agree with what you said about the GUI...if you mean the standard White Tie interface?
Yeah he is talented...no doubt, but it somehow doesn't work for me, 6 is the same, I adjusted it a bit and its nice having the extra options but yeah..not really what I like to use ...I still use Commala 5, basically cause its pretty clean and adjustable.
Yep...Also probably software will probably change at a much faster pace over the next few years with more and more AI being used and god knows what 5G will bring with online services and huge data flows.
Also I find myself using Avenger a fair bit these days...instead of always playing or drawing directly into the Piano Roll to compose, I find Avenger or TheSys by Sugarbytes gives me a sort of a template to begin so some of the hard work is initially removed and you can concentrate more on developing an idea.
A lot of this is starting to happen...even in kind of small apps on the iPad like Groovebox...not a lot of options and pretty limited, but has some interesting randomization features.
Interesting times.

atya wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 7:17 am
e-crooner wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 8:05 pm Looks just like v 5.9999999999999999999999 or whatever the last version was.
Exactly. I started out with an early 4 version but will stick with 5.9999999999.672.8 for another while until they see more of my hard earned dough. At the moment I spend way more time with Ableton anyway - really miss their native session view (clips/scenes) in reaper.
I found out about this yesterday:

It's a session view plugin thing for Reaper called Playtime
Signatures are so early 2000s.

Astromann wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 8:19 am Agree with what you said about the GUI...if you mean the standard White Tie interface?
Yeah he is talented...no doubt, but it somehow doesn't work for me, 6 is the same, I adjusted it a bit and its nice having the extra options but yeah..not really what I like to use ...I still use Commala 5, basically cause its pretty clean and adjustable.
Yep...Also probably software will probably change at a much faster pace over the next few years with more and more AI being used and god knows what 5G will bring with online services and huge data flows.
I'm not trying to hurt anyone's feelings here, but no, I don't think he's talented. He's a skilled craftsman, he's put in the work, but there isn't any balance to any of it. The default GUI of Reaper is one of the bigger dogs in the DAW game, at least as far as the big 8 or so go. Logic, Studio One, DP, Live, Bitwig etc. all better laid out. It's down there with Pro Tools, Cubase etc. and at least they have the excuse of being 30 year old almost programs with legacy concepts their users would flip if they changed. It's a saving grace that it can be themed, I use the Blackmore theme. I think years in Live and earlier Logic skins have me not liking too much 3D or curves for no reason.

Also I find myself using Avenger a fair bit these days...instead of always playing or drawing directly into the Piano Roll to compose, I find Avenger or TheSys by Sugarbytes gives me a sort of a template to begin so some of the hard work is initially removed and you can concentrate more on developing an idea.
A lot of this is starting to happen...even in kind of small apps on the iPad like Groovebox...not a lot of options and pretty limited, but has some interesting randomization features.
Interesting times.
Yeah dammit I really don't need any more soft synths but Avenger looks great. :x :lol:

I mostly come up with lines on my own without drawing, I've gotten pretty good at playing it well enough to quantize it to perfection. I'm primarily a guitar player but I can get by well enough on keys to compose with them.

Mostly I need more time. :?

Yeah dammit I really don't need any more soft synths but Avenger looks great. :x :lol:
I mostly come up with lines on my own without drawing, I've gotten pretty good at playing it well enough to quantize it to perfection. I'm primarily a guitar player but I can get by well enough on keys to compose with them.

Mostly I need more time. :?
Yep...I know what you mean about Softsynths ...but I bit the bullet and bought Avenger and several packs as well.
Manuel Schleis is a pretty talented sequence writer and composer...so some of this works create a great starting point to writing, arranging and building tracks....plus Avenger is (as you would know) is really a DAW inside a DAW, perhaps even more so than many of the Kontakt Libraries and VST stuff, and definitely more than most Softsynths, even the Rob Papen, Dune and Spire stuff...although I love many of those.
The Avenger Seq (arpegiator) is getting more and more sophisticated, which is great, but can take a fair amount of time to get your head around.
Also it prints both the Drum kits (Seq) and the Synth/Arp/Sequencer stuff to the Reaper Timeline...so its easy to adjust in the Piano Roll, not perfect, it does require a fair amount of mucking around to set it up, but it is worth it, and really quite liberating in some ways.
I am in a similar situation, I play guitar and have spent years on it, on Keys I can only just get by and I am not that good at all.
So mainly I taught myself to draw the notes and events etc...directly in the piano roll in the timeline.
At the time I started that Reapers midi was pretty horrible, but they have improved it a lot over time, and doing that approach these days is a lot easier than it used to be.

8) 8)
Last edited by Astromann on Mon Dec 09, 2019 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Concerto Theme again remains as my theme for the foreseeable future:

https://stash.reaper.fm/theme/1993/Conc ... erThemeZip

Kongru wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 9:21 am
atya wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 7:17 am
I found out about this yesterday:

It's a session view plugin thing for Reaper called Playtime
Thanks. I already demoed it a while ago and have an eye on it.

:) :)

What I hate about Reaper is that it remembers changes even though I don't want it to. For instance, some time ago I accidentally did something (no idea what) that made the mixing deck disappear. I can make it reappear, but somehow it is not part of the GUI anymore the way it used to. Now it is more a floating window I just moved where the mixer used to be.
It should only remember changes I explicitly tell it to remember, for instance via a template.

e-crooner wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 2:38 pm What I hate about Reaper is that it remembers changes even though I don't want it to. For instance, some time ago I accidentally did something (no idea what) that made the mixing deck disappear. I can make it reappear, but somehow it is not part of the GUI anymore the way it used to. Now it is more a floating window I just moved where the mixer used to be.
It should only remember changes I explicitly tell it to remember, for instance via a template.
Right click the title bar of the mixer, then "attach docker to main window"

I've found with Reaper that it requires you to either know what you're doing or to seek out answers. Some things can be pretty cryptic/ not obvious.
Signatures are so early 2000s.

I kept on falling foul of e-crooner's issues when using keyboard shortcuts out of habit from another DAW I use. My solution ended up being to set up views (Sceensets) for the task at hand (either mixing or mastering)- So if I accidentally move anything about I just hit an 'F' key and return back to my saved view:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rB5di95gYQA

Kongru wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 2:50 pm
e-crooner wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 2:38 pm What I hate about Reaper is that it remembers changes even though I don't want it to. For instance, some time ago I accidentally did something (no idea what) that made the mixing deck disappear. I can make it reappear, but somehow it is not part of the GUI anymore the way it used to. Now it is more a floating window I just moved where the mixer used to be.
Right click the title bar of the mixer, then "attach docker to main window"

I've found with Reaper that it requires you to either know what you're doing or to seek out answers. Some things can be pretty cryptic/ not obvious.
Thanks, but that is not it. I had tried that before, but the mixer is still not part of the GUI. It shows in that the mixer stays put when I move the main window around.
Never mind, I have kind of given up on Reaper. I love how CPU efficient it is when handling demanding plugins, but other than that it is a pita in my view.

And I think they should have improved the GUI in v6. A new main version should not just contain small changes under the hood in my view.

mcbpete wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 2:56 pm I kept on falling foul of e-crooner's issues when using keyboard shortcuts out of habit from another DAW I use. My solution ended up being to set up views (Sceensets) for the task at hand (either mixing or mastering)- So if I accidentally move anything about I just hit an 'F' key and return back to my saved view:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rB5di95gYQA
Yes, I probably hit some keyboard shortcut, not even a DAW-related one as I never use such shortcuts in my other DAW, either.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”