Christian music topics in the Music Café section

Any problems with the site? How can we improve KVR?
RELATED
PRODUCTS

TBH, i find it borderline. Aren't religious and political topics meant to be in the HPC forum?

Of course, i understand that some mucis is supposed to have political or religious content. It's just that the arising discussions are really what should be discussed in HPC. And, and that is a personal thing, the most recent musical "effusions" also leave a foul taste of the Jehova witnesses in my mouth.

I’m the biggest anti-religion guy out there and yet I find it ok. Basically I know not to open the thread if I don’t want my blood pressure to rise.

This is why I apologised to that guy, it was my fault for entering the thread.
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

Let me preface this by saying I'm not religious but I think that religion and music have an intertwined history. A lot of the motivation behind classical music was to make something beautiful to present to God and to play to the heavens.

Personally I don't mind it but some people can't help but derail threads whenever religion is mentioned.
Last edited by Kongru on Tue Dec 10, 2019 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Signatures are so early 2000s.

Mushy Mushy wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 10:51 am I’m the biggest anti-religion guy out there and yet I find it ok. Basically I know not to open the thread if I don’t want my blood pressure to rise.

The music itself doesn't bother me. Just the "God is love and we all need god" attitude, and the arising discussions (which don't surprise me at all, BTW). Anyway, I'll just ignore it for now, but, that doesn't mean I'm OK with it. I absolutely detest that kind of religious conversion though. Actually, I detest any kind of conversion, religious, or political. It's my belief that we all have that knob on our neck to make up our own mind.

chk071 wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 11:06 am
Mushy Mushy wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 10:51 am I’m the biggest anti-religion guy out there and yet I find it ok. Basically I know not to open the thread if I don’t want my blood pressure to rise.

The music itself doesn't bother me. Just the "God is love and we all need god" attitude, and the arising discussions (which don't surprise me at all, BTW). Anyway, I'll just ignore it for now, but, that doesn't mean I'm OK with it. I absolutely detest that kind of religious conversion though. Actually, I detest any kind of conversion, religious, or political.
I completely agree with you but I also live by the mantra people should be free to be whoever they want or like whatever they want so long as they don’t push it on anybody else or hurt anybody.

Ie, if they post that in my thread or anybody’s without it being requested they deserve to be shot in the head at close range. But if they start their own thread it’s fine. Is it really any different from me writing a song called “take drugs” or “LSD is god”?
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

No. I doubt that you do that though. :)

There's a difference between showing your love for whatever, and trying to "deliver the word", if you know what i mean. There's also a difference between the local religious community and the Jehova witnesses.

I also hate it when someone creates a thread like "Don't buy from XY" here. Every time i see one of those, i think to myself "f**k off, you don't tell me what to do, you self-proclaimed social justice preacher".

I don't like it, so ban it.
Ok.

I don't ask to ban it. I just wonder how it can comply to forum rules.

Social justice is another one of your pet peeves, eh? Good to get that one out of your system I bet. Anti-virtue signalling.

God loves you all, guys. ;)

I think in principle it's fine. I have no issues posting my tracks with lyrics about not following dogma and thinking for yourself, which is just as much an "agenda" as anything. Songs are all about expressing yourself, your beliefs, your hopes, your ideals. If it's good for the goose, it's good for the gander.

It is however probably a good idea to keep the actual discussion away from the politics/ideology though. That definitely belongs in HPC. Surely the subject of discussion should be the track, not the artist or the artist's beliefs.

In some cases, you know up front that it's going to be provocative or turn into a shit-fest. That's why I posted my very political Trump-bashing song in HPC rather than the cafe. Similarly, whenever I've posted overtly political tunes elsewhere, I've tried to steer clear of discussing the politics themselves, as that never ends well.

:tu:

If the song is about religion I don’t see an issue, but if the thread it’s posted in becomes a discussion of religion then it probably belongs in HPC.

That’s how I interpret the forum rules, anyway.

Looks like it's just one member "Mozex". He's got three threads open now.

Music Cafe should be for promoting your Music not your agenda.

If you want to test the waters of equality start a thread about a song "Jesus is a Myth" and see if the official reaction is the same.

Freedom of religion....freedom from religion. :shrug:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Discussion needs to be balanced; you can't expect there to be no comments about a religious track but then expect to be able to voice your dissent at a plugin with a vaguely religious name. Give and take and all that.

Return to “Site Stuff”