Recommendation for a good pitch shifter / octaver?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'm having a sort of dirty signal: flute, with wind noise and not too many overtones. The Logic pitch shifter really doesn't like it. To my surprise Melda doesn't seem to have one in their catalogue. Other recommendations?

V.

I tested on Loop Loft's Flutes of Fire, "UnderTheCushions", which has a decent amount of chiff noise.

Little Alterboy surprisingly tracked extremely well even though it's meant for voice. I pushed it up 1 octave with formant turned all the way up. Kilohearts' Pitch Shifter worked best with a smaller grain size, around 30ms, with correlation on. Eventide Quadravox using one voice shifted one octave up sounded best with the Soprano Sax instrument profile. I had pretty good results with Uhbik-G, semitones set to 12, I put it in PhaseVoc mode, MAX cpu quality, grain reset auto. Auburn Grallion's free edition performed admirably, pitch shifted (on the left) one octave up. I had "preserve formants" set to 0 and it suffered a bit when increased, but you may have different tastes.

My personal favorite is Quadravox, but all of these were acceptable. But if your recording is more noise than tonal they'll likely struggle as there is less to track and pitch. So try with Grallion first since there's a free edition.

You may also want to pre-process the recording to help pitch shifters. It's hard for me to figure out how exactly to approach that since I don't know what the recording sounds like, but source separation might be an avenue, by separating the noise from the tonal parts so the latter can be pitch-shifted independently.

Zynaptiq Wormhole’s pitch shift sounds pristine and ultra buttery.

Melda's:
https://www.meldaproduction.com/MHarmonizerMB
https://www.meldaproduction.com/MUnison

with instruments I usually set Keep Formants to 0%.
With MHarmonizer certainly try granular mode and try different grain sizes to hear what works best.

Neon Breath wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 5:33 am Zynaptiq Wormhole’s pitch shift sounds pristine and ultra buttery.
'pristine and ultra buttery', is this double speak ?

:P
Amazon: why not use an alternative

No, synonym speaking!

That Harmonizer works very nicely. Also quite affordable. Thanks so much for the recommendations.

Victor.

+1 for the uhbik granular, i didn't even expect it to be such a good shifter.

or zplane elastique pitch.

Also, try the Plugins > Apple > AUPitch. it's better than the pitch shifter by default.

or maybe flextime it?
there's also a whammy in the guitar pedal board which can be used as an octaver.

Ploki wrote: Sun Dec 22, 2019 9:10 pm +1 for the uhbik granular, i didn't even expect it to be such a good shifter.
Very true. Often, if not always forgotten.

Amazing granular tool for many purposes actually. The sound is gorgeous too, very rich and hifi.

VicDiesel wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 10:07 pm I'm having a sort of dirty signal: flute, with wind noise and not too many overtones. The Logic pitch shifter really doesn't like it. To my surprise Melda doesn't seem to have one in their catalogue. Other recommendations?

V.
Melda harmonizer and Melda unison can do pretty good pitch shifting. For standard octave stuff I’ve been using whamdriver for guitars and such. If you have any fft stuff most do a good job with pitchshifting. I use spec ops for that all the time.

JJ
Don't F**K with Mr. Zero.

Ploki wrote: Sun Dec 22, 2019 9:10 pm Also, try the Plugins > Apple > AUPitch. it's better than the pitch shifter by default.
Nice! I didn't know that one was there.

Victor.

The pitchshifter from Tonebooster works very well. Similar to Soundtoys Little Alter Boy. Don't know about harmonizer. Never needed one.

Vengeance has a plug-in that does this in its fx2 bundle. Sounds good but the buffer and granular effects in that bundle do add kind of an atrocious amount of latency.

That little fx bundle is a really good value though if you have an elicenser

+1 for Uhbik-G in general as a creative effect, but for pitch shifting specifically I would go with Zynaptiq Wormhole or Devious Machines Pitch Monster.
Some music with visuals and mixed tutorials related to game dev and sound design: https://www.youtube.com/@MetasideOfficial

Return to “Effects”