Phase Plant... Thoughts?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Phase Plant

I don't like Phase Plan, because of that snap-in system. Feels like DLC in games. There are synths on the market that offer similar feature sets out of the box with no need of small little extra payments. 🤔
Evovled into noctucat...
http://www.noctucat.com/

FarleyCZ wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 12:26 pm I don't like Phase Plan, because of that snap-in system. Feels like DLC in games. There are synths on the market that offer similar feature sets out of the box with no need of small little extra payments. 🤔
It's more like a modular system, such as Softube Modular or Reaktor.

Most of the effects/snapins existed before Phase Plant, which is a host for those just like Multipass or Snap Heap. They're also regular plugins that work outside of any host.

Plus with the subscription you get everything anyway for just $9.99 and month and $100 back every 12 months, allowing you to buy up the modules you want to own eventually... similar to rent-to-own and better than other subscription options.

You should give the trial a go and then see how you feel! Loads of people are really into it. :)

StuSmith wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:50 am It's more like a modular system, such as Softube Modular or Reaktor.

Most of the effects/snapins existed before Phase Plant, which is a host for those just like Multipass or Snap Heap. They're also regular plugins that work outside of any host.

Plus with the subscription you get everything anyway for just $9.99 and month and $100 back every 12 months, allowing you to buy up the modules you want to own eventually... similar to rent-to-own and better than other subscription options.

You should give the trial a go and then see how you feel! Loads of people are really into it. :)
I will give it another try in the future. Mainly because I'm guilty of being influencable by testimonials and you guys got few of my favorite producers there. :D I really want to like it.

But please don't argue with the point that Phase Plant is expansive. It just is. The Ultimate offering is now (I believe discounted) listed for 866 Euros and when you compare the feature set to 349 Eur Falcon by UVI, the only thing missing is a Transient Shaper and a Tape Stop. Falcon has also few unique tricks up it's sleve that I haven't noticed in Phase Plant demo.

The only upside is the excellent business model, with the snapin/product buy-out. THAT is awesome and I wish some other companies offering expansive software would agree to do things the same way. I will give Phase Plant another chance ( and a proper user review :wink: ) in the future. Not only for the testimonials, but also thanks to the fact, that you offer this really nice accessible financing solution. But it has to blow my mind anyway for this kind of money.
Evovled into noctucat...

FarleyCZ wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 12:34 pm
StuSmith wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:50 am It's more like a modular system, such as Softube Modular or Reaktor.

I will give it another try in the future. Mainly because I'm guilty of being influencable by testimonials and you guys got few of my favorite producers there. :D I really want to like it.

But please don't argue with the point that Phase Plant is expansive. It just is. The Ultimate offering is now (I believe discounted) listed for 866 Euros and when you compare the feature set to 349 Eur Falcon by UVI, the only thing missing is a Transient Shaper and a Tape Stop. Falcon has also few unique tricks up it's sleve that I haven't noticed in Phase Plant demo.

The only upside is the excellent business model, with the snapin/product buy-out. THAT is awesome and I wish some other companies offering expansive software would agree to do things the same way. I will give Phase Plant another chance ( and a proper user review :wink: ) in the future. Not only for the testimonials, but also thanks to the fact, that you offer this really nice accessible financing solution. But it has to blow my mind anyway for this kind of money.
:o

Nowhere near €866! The ULTIMATE bundle (which is every plugin, synth and host Kilhearts has) is usually €499 but is currently down to €299 in their BF sale. Falcon is great but different. The FX don't work outside of the synth and the workflow is very different... workflow being something people say Phase Plant excels in. It's also being regularly updated with new features... the guys are very active in their discord with users submitting requests and bugs, and a whole beta team. Exciting things are coming...

EDIT: Changed my dollar signs to Euros! :-D

Ah, ok, seems like I've just missunderstood the e-shop. Sorry for that. 😊 In that case I will give it another try soon-ish. Workflow is tempting. I think Falcon can do more layers, bit more complexity, but it comes with a price of a bit clunky interface. Phase Plant looks like the other way around. :)
Evovled into noctucat...

FYI. Black Friday offer has been extended to the end of the year. :-)

And... Kilohearts Phase Plant voted best soft synth of 2019 by Music Tech readers!

https://www.musictech.net/features/awar ... izer-2019/

Well I took the plunge and bought the upgrade! :)
I will take the Lord's name in vain, whenever I want. Hail Satan! And his little goblins too. :lol:

I always read the comparison with Falcon, which I don´t have and so cannot directly compare...

Does Falcon allow audio rate modulation from any oscillator on nearly every parameter??
Does Falcon have an option to route the oscillators of multiple layers to either the same fx or to seperate fx??
It´s already leaked that Multipass and Snapheat will be available in Phase Plant... is there anything comparable in Falcon??
Does Falcon´s FX allow being used polyphon??
Does Falcon have a full featured EQ like Slice EQ??
Does Falcon allow building complete own filter structures like Phase Plant does??
Does Falcon offer complete user defineable LFO´s??
Does Falcon have drag´n drop modulation in the style of Serum/Phase Plant/Bitwig??
Does Falcon visually reflect on the oscillators every manipulation on the waveform??
Does Falcon have an advanced Wavetable editor which directly reflects the results in realtime in the Oscillator means you can play the wavetable in realtime while you tweaking it in the wavetable editor???

As what I´ve seen of Falcon is that it excels in first place on sample manipulation but the overly complicated structuring is already a no-go for me... how many steps do you have to insert before you are able to put in an oscillator???
Multi and is followed by Part, Program, Layer and Keygroup...
It might be more flexible for huge Multi Patches but to me it seems to be adressed to a complete different target audience...

Phase Plant to me is a monster of a Synth while Falcon is a monster of a Workstation... I do not have any use for a Workstation but I have a lot of use for a Monster Synth like Phase Plant which has such a good oversight beides it´s flexibilities...

I have to defend Falcon here. It does not have audiorate modulation and wavetable editor, but it does have everything else you've mentioned. Besides, much broader range of FX, amazing resonator and convolution abilities, great layering capabilities and the sample manipulation simply does not even compare. Both of these behemoth synths have their ups and downs. :)
Evovled into noctucat...

FarleyCZ wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 9:17 am I have to defend Falcon here. It does not have audiorate modulation and wavetable editor, but it does have everything else you've mentioned. ...
No audiorate modulation and wavetable editor makes it already uninteresting for me as these are for me the biggest highlights in Phase Plant...

Falcons FX are really playable polyphon?? Means per voice??

If you apply them on the keygroup level, then yes. Also you can have several keygroups layered and blended across the keyboard with separate per-note effects for each key group. ...and much more. I'm not bashing on Phaseplant. It's a wonderful synth. Especially the modulation capabilities. ...but so far I find it easier to blend several styles of synthesis in Falcon, which gives me more interesting and controllable results than aimlessly modulating parameters be it at audio rate. (Though that's awesome for experimentation.) They're both awesome. To each their own. :)
Evovled into noctucat...

Phaseplant seems very overpriced to me compared to what else is available. You can buy VPS Avenger for under 100E currently and it has 30 FX types included, or you can buy Rapid for about the same that has supurb FX (including a realy amazing algorithmic reverb, Time-Manipulating Glitch and Tapestop etc) that also comes with an FX version that can be used on anything!
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live+PUSH 3 Standalone, Reason, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

FarleyCZ wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 10:29 am If you apply them on the keygroup level, then yes. ...
Good to know... thx!! :tu:

My trial was over, so I've invested 10 euros, subscribed and gave it another chance. I have to admit, that workflow is simply unparalelled. No synth on the maket has a better workflow. There's tons of small things (folder management, visual feedback...) that this synth does extremely right. Bravo. Also this is hands down the best FM synth ever. The audio-rate modulation is just delightful. But I once again came to conslusion that the pricing is quite agressive. There is some functionality (namely Q parameter on the EQ, or a good saturator) that you get only when buying either the Ultimate bundle or some other products. Without the end of year sale that can easily attack 500 Eur. I like the subscription rewards model. That's awesome idea and I'd love to see that implemented just about everywhere. But still. That means you either pay 10 bucks every moth for three to five years (depending on the sale policy), or the tracks you've made stop loading up properly without it's montly payment. 🤔

Also I have some smaller gripes about the synth in general: (v1.7.11)
- LFO desperately needs better control over splines between points
- I wasn't able to find out LFO shape saving system
- Pre-routed keyboard tracking on a filter would save a lot of clicking
- Same with vibrato
- Holding shift makes the modulation amount control finer, but for slight detuning it still makes kinda big jumps.
- Control over the slope of the filter would be very welcome.

I'll keep it installed until my subscribed month passes by. Will think about it more. I really like the synth. A lot. But with it's price, that subscription (though extremely fair with it's terms) is quite a long commitment.
Evovled into noctucat...

Return to “Instruments”