Arturia Pigments 2 (Free Update): Now it's Granular

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Pigments 5

Some questions concerning the sample playing of the Pigments 2:

1. Can I load and play my own samples?
2. Can I mix /morph samples downloaded to the slots A-F together, and create new sounds?
3. Is there Time machine -type of mode available, like in Kontakt, where you play different sample
pitches without affecting the sample playing speed?

Harry_HH wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 9:52 am Some questions concerning the sample playing of the Pigments 2:

1. Can I load and play my own samples?
2. Can I mix /morph samples downloaded to the slots A-F together, and create new sounds?
3. Is there Time machine -type of mode available, like in Kontakt, where you play different sample
pitches without affecting the sample playing speed?
1. Yes.
2. Yes.
3. Not sure.

LoveEnigma18 wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 10:27 am
Harry_HH wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 9:52 am
2. Yes.
Are you sure? Because I can´t get to play more than one soundsource at once?

boriskarloff wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 10:32 am
2. Yes.
I think that does not seem to possible, but Harry was asking about mixing/morphing, which is possible.

However, you can use two engines to play two different samples simultaneously. You would know, and not exactly what you want, but just in case. :)

EDIT: Using granular option might help a bit.

LoveEnigma18 wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 10:40 am
2. Yes.
I think that does not seem to possible, but Harry was asking about mixing/morphing, which is possible.

However, you can use two engines to play two different samples simultaneously. You would know, and not exactly what you want, but just in case. :)

EDIT: Using granular option might help a bit.
Thanks for answer :tu:

2. Yes.

However, you can use two engines to play different samples simultaneously. You would know, and not exactly what you want, but just in case. :)
I’m confused. How you can mix different samples, in any way, if the Pigment 2 doesn’t allow to play different soundsources A-F at the same time?

In my opinion, if my points 2-3 aren’t possible, the sample player is more or less crippled...
(inside, as Lennon stated).

Harry_HH wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 10:48 am
2. Yes.

However, you can use two engines to play different samples simultaneously. You would know, and not exactly what you want, but just in case. :)
I’m confused. How you can mix different samples, in any way, if the Pigment 2 doesn’t allow to play different soundsources A-F at the same time?

In my opinion, if my points 2-3 aren’t possible, the sample player is more or less crippled...
(inside, as Lennon stated).
Looks like they need to add one more option of being able to play samples simultaneously in the "Map" section. If that is not super important, there are some pretty good possibilities already.

For now, dedicating one instance of Pigments 2 for using two engines in sample mode, each playing a different sample in the first slot, might be helpful.

Thank you for commenting, both boris/love.

:) :tu:

Lovely Update!

the Main OSC new features,FX's and the random mode being now selectable, really wanted that...

Main wish right now for the future, a 3th Oscilator and if possible make some FX destinations (the ones missing) a target, but i'm guessing there were some problems in doing so or they would had done it from Piments one....

They've really removed all excuses I had to buy this :x

Demo until Dec 31 and then 50% off. It's worth it just for the quantized random feature which I can think of multiple uses for already.
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

telecode wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 12:24 am yup. that true. sounds better or worse is very subjective. but when comparing UX and usability, there can be better and worse. That Massive X interface -- not good IMO.
True, but from a sound perspective even, "thin" is a subjective term. Pigments analog osc compared to Hive quickly, not much of a difference, both pretty fat sounding. Hive is a few DB louder, you have to turn the track with Pigments on it up a bit.
A lot of the bass patches in Pigments aren't that good, you can get good bass from it though, but more than that looking at the modulation I'm more inclined to use it for pads and evolving sounds. Just like I'm more inclined to use Diva for bass. U-He spent a ton of time on the oscillator sound itself in Diva, it naturally sounds thicker before you do anything to it. Same was true of Massive and I'm sure is of Massive X.

Now that Pigments has granular this whole thin/thick argument is even less important. IMO the basic oscillator sound in Pigments is OK, not at Diva or Massive level, and I wouldn't expect it to be. Then again neither of them can load samples, do granular, etc.

machinesworking wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 5:38 pm
telecode wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 12:24 am yup. that true. sounds better or worse is very subjective. but when comparing UX and usability, there can be better and worse. That Massive X interface -- not good IMO.
True, but from a sound perspective even, "thin" is a subjective term. Pigments analog osc compared to Hive quickly, not much of a difference, both pretty fat sounding. Hive is a few DB louder, you have to turn the track with Pigments on it up a bit.
A lot of the bass patches in Pigments aren't that good, you can get good bass from it though, but more than that looking at the modulation I'm more inclined to use it for pads and evolving sounds. Just like I'm more inclined to use Diva for bass. U-He spent a ton of time on the oscillator sound itself in Diva, it naturally sounds thicker before you do anything to it. Same was true of Massive and I'm sure is of Massive X.

Now that Pigments has granular this whole thin/thick argument is even less important. IMO the basic oscillator sound in Pigments is OK, not at Diva or Massive level, and I wouldn't expect it to be. Then again neither of them can load samples, do granular, etc.
thanks. i will try recommendation to make my own present from init using exactly same wave forms and settings to compare the two side by side.
🌐 Spotify 🔵 Soundcloud 🌀 Soundclick

Gear & Setup: Windows 10, Dual Xeon, 32GB RAM, Cubase 10.5/9.5, NI Komplete Audio 6, NI Maschine, NI Jam, NI Kontakt

I tried it a bit but something about it still turns me off. I think a lot of it is actually why people praise this synth. It’s too nice and neat for me, the interface doesn’t inspire me to get up to anything. Same way I like Massive X for the reasons a lot of people don’t like it. Or Korg Wavestation while we’re at it! We need more bad GUI’s.. in 10 years bad GUI design will be the new vintage. People will say it’s more musical and human than those robot assisted VR interfaces.

lwj wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 7:09 pm I tried it a bit but something about it still turns me off. I think a lot of it is actually why people praise this synth. It’s too nice and neat for me, the interface doesn’t inspire me to get up to anything. Same way I like Massive X for the reasons a lot of people don’t like it. Or Korg Wavestation while we’re at it! We need more bad GUI’s.. in 10 years bad GUI design will be the new vintage. People will say it’s more musical and human than those robot assisted VR interfaces.
You know, you may actually not be that off the mark with your prediction

Return to “Instruments”