UVI Workstation (release)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Mc UB wrote: By the way: It's amazing that such a versatile workstation is free! You could easily sell the workstation as sampler for money. Perhaps a version that is meant to be sampler, not a player for the scripted instruments. The drag/drop functionality alone makes it a good sampler for my workflow, and the editing capabilities and array of FX really set's it apart from a lot of other softsamplers. Creating kits, velocity-layer samples, saving with full fx chains... It's massive! I'm missing loop-points, custom loop-slicing and little things like reverse, but I can live without them easily.

I would like to know if 2.5.4 has at least the sample-edit page? That would get me to uninstall all and install only the new 2.5.4 version.
Well, the full blown editor already exists and it's MOTU MachFive

http://www.motu.com/products/software/machfive

2.5.4 do not provide the extensive edit page for single sample, only loop (stretch/slice) editing facility.
Olivier Tristan
Developer - UVI Team
http://www.uvi.net

any news if MOTU Updates MachFive 3 with the latest updated Workstation features like sample streaming ?

they didn´t have updated Machfive 3 for a long time and its very quiet from the MOTU Side , or did they working on a new MachFive version ?

DrumAddict wrote:any news if MOTU Updates MachFive 3 with the latest updated Workstation features like sample streaming ?

they didn´t have updated Machfive 3 for a long time and its very quiet from the MOTU Side , or did they working on a new MachFive version ?
I'm afraid I cannot give you any infos on this.
Olivier Tristan
Developer - UVI Team

DrumAddict wrote:any news if MOTU Updates MachFive 3 with the latest updated Workstation features like sample streaming ?

Really the free Workstation have features Mach5 not have? :party:
║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█

UVI Workstation are more likely a player for the Uvi based ufs sample Libs with support for importing samples !

with MachFive 3 i can make my own personal libs , can import other instrument formats , mapping , script them and also it has an very good embedded FM Synth Engine and granular Engine also and many more and i can edit them in every way i want !

otristan wrote:Well, the full blown editor already exists and it's MOTU MachFive
Ah yes, of course. That's true. Been looking at that too, but since I'm a producer on a budget I'm afraid this will not be in my arsenal very soon. I own FL Studio, and work almost exclusive with free available instruments, FX and sample libraries. A subscription to Computer Music Magazine has brought me enough samples to last me the next decade or so, and I'm exploring the possibilities of using them better. Also, with the Discovery VST in my arsenal, I can sample any VST I like, even demo versions, and us these samples in UVI as well. Endless possibilities.

The UVI Workstation (1.1.7) has now for me topped the (also free) TW16X sampler and the awesome but difficult Schortcircuit samplers (1 & 2). Especialy nice is that I can just drag my samples in from FL's browser. Each part is then controlled by a Midi-out channel on FL, which contains the melody/rhythm's and upto 64 controllers I can link via CC to UVI's knobs and parameters. Since the Midi-out is FL native I can make use of the internal controllers and easy setup of automation envelopes.What UVI workstation doesn't have I can do in FL. The only thing really missing for me now is the ability to slice loops within UVI. But I can export Acidized loops from FL and import them in UVI and use them like that.

And it's so easy on the CPU, it's a pleasure to work with. Love the 'iPhone-ish' theme of 1.1.7 too!

By the way, looking again at Machfive it only now hit's me how much they are alike. You can easily spot the UVI engine parts in it. I'm sorry, but for now 1.1.7 is king for me. The lack of edit page makes that I would use TW16X or Shortcircuit before 2.5.4, but 1.1.7 tops them in ease of use.

I'm currently (as proof of concept) working on a track containing ONLY UVI 1.1.7, multiple instances on different midi ports. And I will create my own kits with it.

Of course I understand that you as a company want to sell things and that MachFive is your sampler, and the workstation is only meant to house the engine and the instruments created for it. But for the average Joe 2.5.4 is a step back from what could have become the king of freeware samplers. Both my left brain and my right brain agree on this :-)
Vocal MC for 21 years straight // http://mc-ub.free-frank.net

Is it possible to have a side browser in UVI Workstation like in Kontakt?
because now if I want to browse a different preset I have to load the browser, which replaces the workstation screen, choose it and the browser is closed. Why not make it comfortable?

FYI, there is a long click on the preset name that displays a menu.

Feature request submitted though.
Olivier Tristan
Developer - UVI Team

UVI Workstation is perhaps not ment to be comfortable - it drives people to consider Falcon.
(I don´t have Falcon, and most likely never will buy one - never liked the Workstation, which makes the use of UVI products less fun. I own about 10 UVIs, including 6 libraries, and not use them too often. Which is pitty, because these are otherwise quality products.)

Harry_HH wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 8:57 am UVI Workstation is perhaps not ment to be comfortable - it drives people to consider Falcon.
(I don´t have Falcon, and most likely never will buy one - never liked the Workstation, which makes the use of UVI products less fun. I own about 10 UVIs, including 6 libraries, and not use them too often. Which is pitty, because these are otherwise quality products.)
I think the problem I have with the workstation is the old saying "out of sight, out of mind". Because I just see UVI workstation, it doesn't make me instantly think "oh I should use that". I have maybe 6 or 7 worksttion libraries. My mind jut passes over it and onto something named that conjours a spark of inspiration in me.

Which is the opposite of Kontakt, because I have loads of Kontakt instruments, I know I will find something inspiring in there.

It is a shame, since when I bother to play with UVI workstation, there are some great sounds in there.

I will get Falcon in the sales next November. That is the plan.

I have many UVI libraries and I love them. I don't need Falcon and I'm not looking for such features.

Update - just bought Falcon.
Last edited by tristan- on Sat Dec 14, 2019 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

otristan wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 8:53 am FYI, there is a long click on the preset name that displays a menu.

Feature request submitted though.
Thank you very kind. I sent you a private message.

I had Falcon in the past, didn't really use it much because I didn't have much time to delve into it. but now I just thought that just like Kontakt vs Kontakt Player - I can't expect the workstation to be as full featured as Falcon also in terms of library management. and in Falcon its pretty neat, so I ended up getting it. and after a full day using it, Falcon 2 is a great piece of software, and makes using all the libraries much more fun.
The synth sounds great, I have three expansion packs, one of them is the newly released Eternal Funk - love it! more of those, please.

Return to “Instruments”