Disappointment in hardware synths

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi folks,

I was so excited when Behringer made analog synths affordable, without checking the limitations and how analog synths work, I bought Neutron and Model D and I was sure these two synths are more than enough to make "fully" analog tracks. Well, I was naive, then I discovered that there is no way to save patches, and I have to record the synth every time I change the patch, and all the CV hassle, etc. Finally, I came to conclusion that a pure analog synth is more a toy than a workhorse device. I can be a nice touch to a track to add one sound per analog synth, but that's it. So, I was wondering how others incorporate analog synths into their workflow.

Thanks.

Switch synth on
Mess about
Get inspired
Record
Turn recording into loops, beats, riffs etc

I've also used lots of analog synths live. I send them some midi and tweak to taste ...

(btw some of them have memory slots) :)

Some analog synths have presets. One of the main reasons why I bought a Waldorf Pulse2 instead of Korg MS-20 mini. Years before Behringer started releasing their retro produvts.

Become a muscian and all will be revealed
Amazon: why not use an alternative

VariKusBrainZ wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 5:39 pm Become a muscian and all will be revealed
What preset is that?
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

VariKusBrainZ wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 5:39 pm Become a muscian and all will be revealed
harsh but fair.
also points for "amusing".

:)

thecontrolcentre wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 5:11 pm Switch synth on
Mess about
Get inspired
Record
this.
additional herbs or beer to taste...

roman.i wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 4:56 pm I came to conclusion that a pure analog synth is more a toy than a workhorse device.
excellent conclusion :lol:

roman.i wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 4:56 pm etc. Finally, I came to conclusion that a pure analog synth is more a toy than a workhorse device. I
Yeah . I don't know if calling them a toy is a fair. Its just a different mindset than using a DAW or VST and having that ability (luxury) to save and retrieve presets you worked on for hours and hours. Perhaps look at it as it needs a workflow where you try different things, and once you get something that sounds great, capture that sound as soon as possible as it won't come again in quite the same way. sort of the old way to making music, which I think those particular Behringer modules and the era they come from, are a recreation of.

If you like analogue and need presets, you might want to checkout the maxibrute. decent synth and lots of functionality.

https://www.arturia.com/products/hardwa ... e/overview
Last edited by telecode on Fri Dec 27, 2019 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
🌐 Spotify 🔵 Soundcloud 🌀 Soundclick

Gear & Setup: Windows 10, Dual Xeon, 32GB RAM, Cubase 10.5/9.5, NI Komplete Audio 6, NI Maschine, NI Jam, NI Kontakt

vurt wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 5:45 pm additional herbs or beer to taste...
Doesn't work, honestly. The more you add, the more 'freaked out' it gets. While it is great fun for the artist himself (I know exactly where you're coming from because I love those sessions myself), the audience will run away slowly but surely, unless they think they're part of an avantgarde-art-high-end-event they actually don't enjoy but think it's cool to tell their peeps afterward. :hihi:

roman.i wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 4:56 pm then I discovered that there is no way to save patches, and I have to record the synth every time I change the patch.
Some people do the slightest amount of basic research before throwing hundreds of dollars at new things.

Others, apparently, do not.... and get what they deserve.

I mean, it took more effort to sign up and post on KVR than it would have to learn about the synths you were buying.

I mean, this must be a troll, right? This is just too stupid.

roman.i wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 4:56 pm Finally, I came to conclusion that a pure analog synth is more a toy than a workhorse device.
Go listen to Switched-On Bach, or better yet, any of Isao Tomita's works from 1974-1982 and you'll hear what "a toy" can do. That is... with skill, understanding of synthesis and sound design, and practice, and a little effort (it's not even that much effort).

To me, presets are like putting training wheels on a tricycle.

elassi wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 5:54 pm
vurt wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 5:45 pm additional herbs or beer to taste...
Doesn't work, honestly. The more you add, the more 'freaked out' it gets. While it is great fun for the artist himself (I know exactly where you're coming from because I love those sessions myself), the audience will run away slowly but surely, unless they think they're part of an avantgarde-art-high-end-event they actually don't enjoy but think it's cool to tell their peeps afterward. :hihi:
audience? some breed of elephant?

mholloway wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 5:56 pm
roman.i wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 4:56 pm then I discovered that there is no way to save patches, and I have to record the synth every time I change the patch.
Some people do the slightest amount of basic research before throwing hundreds of dollars at new things.

Others, apparently, do not.... and get what they deserve.

I mean, it took more effort to sign up and post on KVR than it would have to learn about the synths you were buying.

I mean, this must be a troll, right? This is just too stupid.
Have to agree. Even if I'm spending £100 on something I still read countless reviews and watch hours and hours of YouTube to ensure it's right for me.

This would be like me walking into modularland blind, and then complaining about the wires.
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”