Uhbik 2.0 public alpha 02, rev. 9629 (Catalina ready)

Official support for: u-he.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi, big issue here with current version of Uhbik. I realize it's an alpha, but since it overwrites the previous installation, this is causing a big problem for me:

So, I like to 'archive' a lot of material in my Ableton Live user library by saving Clips. When you drag a clip into the user library, it actually stores a lot of info with it, not just MIDI: 1. midi data, 2. any instruments and effects that were on the track the clip was in, including third party stuff, etc. I like this approach for storing stuff because it gives me the maximal amount of items for a single file (midi data, instruments, effects --> one clip file, yay!).

But! What's happening: Ableton crashes instantly whenever I try to load (drag and drop from ableton browser into ableton project) a clip that contains Uhbik-A, or any other Uhbik -- if the saved Clip contained the version 1 uhbik. I sent my crash logs to Ableton and they wrote back, stating that the cause of all crashes I sent was the uhbik plug ins. Some testing further showed this to be true: I can successfully drag in any of my old clips, and they will load up the MIDI clip, instruments, effects, etc as expected, but anything that contains a Ubhik instance, it's a crash every time (immediate program exit).

So, while the OP above regarding Uhbik 2 states that it is backwards compatible with Uhbik 1, this doesn't appear to be the case -- at least, not with Ableton Live Clips, for some reason. Because, oddly enough, I can load old projects that have Uhbik inside them without any issues. I just can't load old clips that have Uhbik stored in them.

Note: I can save the new 2.0 Uhbiks in clips and then load them successfully. The crash happens when I try to load any clips that contain the old Uhbik, which is of course nearly all of them.

Weird, eh? But for me, this is incredibly problematic, as I used Uhbik A LOT for many years, so this has rendered vast portions of my ableton archived material un-loadable. Not great!!

Is there still a plan to make these into a modular fx rack or did that idea get scrapped? It’s the thing that I was looking forward to, but I never grabbed the plugins because it never materialized.
Don't F**K with Mr. Zero.

mholloway wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 9:11 pm ... this has rendered vast portions of my ableton archived material un-loadable. Not great!!
Simply install the old version again and you should have everything working again in no time.

Also, these are Alpha versions, not even Beta, so testing these is always at your own risk, and should not be done without backing up all necessary files like custom presets. I realize this sounds a bit smart alecky, but it should be understood that in no way can we guarantee zero problems with Alpha versions of a product.

Anyway, if you install the old version again and you still run into problems, get in touch with us under support[at]u-he.com and we'll see what we can find out.

Viktor
u-he team

mholloway wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 9:11 pm Note: I can save the new 2.0 Uhbiks in clips and then load them successfully. The crash happens when I try to load any clips that contain the old Uhbik, which is of course nearly all of them.
That's exactly the kind of issues we are hoping to catch by releasing such alpha versions. Such a specific issue wouldn't come up during standard testing.
I'll try to reproduce the problem once we are back at work.

There is also a small chance that it's simply an installation issue.
If you used the VST2 version of Uhbik 1, but only installed the VST3 version of Uhbik 2, then the old clips are still trying to load the old version, which might cause problems.
Same would happen if the old plugin versions are installed in a different folder than the new ones, and the host still tries to load the old version.
That QA guy from planet u-he.

Ah_Dziz wrote: Sat Dec 28, 2019 8:49 am Is there still a plan to make these into a modular fx rack or did that idea get scrapped?
We are still pondering the idea, but we can't say for sure if it will make it into the 2.0 release. We certainly hope so.

mholloway wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 9:11 pm Ableton crashes instantly whenever I try to load (drag and drop from ableton browser into ableton project) a clip that contains Uhbik-A, or any other Uhbik -- if the saved Clip contained the version 1 uhbik.
Can confirm that there is a problem when reloading Ableton Live clips made with Uhbik 1.
Only happens when using the AU version of the plugin, no problem when using VST2. And only happens in Live 10. Those old clips reload fine in Live 9.7.

We'll figure it out. Thanks again for letting us know about this.

couold we get a single stage allpass in uhbik-p maybe? :)

Ploki wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 12:32 am couold we get a single stage allpass in uhbik-p maybe? :)
No. Maybe three people on the planet need it, but for each of them there'll be ten people who write to our support claiming that "no matter what I try, Uhbik-P does not do anything".

Yeah, makes sense.

How about a 4 stack that already exists but with the ability to have all 4 stages at the same frequency? :)

All stages are tuned to the same frequency... as they only change the phase response, that phase response adds up.

Urs wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 5:45 pm All stages are tuned to the same frequency... as they only change the phase response, that phase response adds up.
Well then i guess it already does everything i need :)
Thanks for clarification.

I really like using it in “manual” and at 100% wet, so not as a typical phaser rather a then “transient smacker”.
Super fun on kicks and basses, they start sounding like a fat wet kiss, feedback just a little to the right.

Thank you u-he team, the new reverb algorithm sounds very pleasant and has character !

Uhbik is a great collection of plugins, glad to see them getting this update. Love the new look and added features. Can't wait for the release.

I would prefer the label and value fonts to be a bit bigger (without changing the GUI size) and less "blue-grey". I managed to change the colour in the skin files but not the size.
DarkStar, ... Interesting, if true
Inspired by ...

Uhbik 2 looks fantastically refreshed, and the new modulation features are very welcome. Envelope follower makes me want it in every other developer's FX. Natural reverb algo sounds great, visualization in Q looks good.

Return to “u-he”