Thorn: Dmitry Sches' new synth!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
DS Audio Thorn Thorn Pro Expansion (Thorn Presets)

ramseysounds wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 10:44 am
Toddskins wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 8:42 am IF anybody knows, should I uninstall the older or simply exclude it from showing up via Cakewalk by Bandlab's Plugin Manager?
Why not just leave the older version installed and have the option of both? Thats what I did
Does the older version do things, or something, the newer version is unable to do?

I can always run several versions of the new at the same time.

Do they have different IDs? Then you would need to keep the old to be able to load old projects... If not you don’t know which one is loaded, and its better to remove the old one (but keep a backup).

noooo I missed the Voucher deadline (;﹏;)

krabbencutter wrote: Sat Dec 28, 2019 12:16 pm noooo I missed the Voucher deadline (;﹏;)
That’s bad but not too bad.
There is always the Computer Music edition. And it is the least cut down amongst all CM plugins.
Bazille CM got the silver.

Third oscillator and second filter are gone, so are effects besides reverb, delay, eq and beautiful distortion.

Just a quick rundown through full version presets shows that most sounds are made without that luxury. And those sounds are huge.
Luckily polyphony and spectral filter are still there :tu:
Dmitriy is a really great guy. CM are cool tool.

krabbencutter wrote: Sat Dec 28, 2019 12:16 pm noooo I missed the Voucher deadline (;﹏;)
I missed it too, but only for the reason that I do have the 1.0 version and don’t need an update yet and did not find anything in the PA catalog which I would actually use...
The Byome /Triad combo was tempting though, but I should better dive into Bitwigs Grid first before spending money on something a bit similar...

If you get both magware versions, CM and Beat, you are almost there... The CM version has less elements and the Beat version has all but is mono...
I also miss all those NI vouchers, as you can’t use them on sales, and I don’t need soundsets...

Tj Shredder wrote: Sun Dec 29, 2019 5:57 am
I missed it too, but only for the reason that I do have the 1.0 version and don’t need an update yet and did not find anything in the PA catalog which I would actually use...
My old "upgrade to 1.2 now until March 2019 for $19" code I got from PA still worked yesterday. I was waiting for the Thorn improvements to materialise before getting it.
Sounds like you should also have one of those codes as an owner of 1.0. Maybe worth a try to find your old code?

If you can't find an upgrade code, you can email Dmitry and he should be able to fix you up with a replacement (the expiry date was a PA thing and just added unnecessary confusion, like most things with PA): viewtopic.php?p=7309962#p7309962

Gamma-UT wrote: Sun Dec 29, 2019 11:00 am If you can't find an upgrade code, you can email Dmitry and he should be able to fix you up with a replacement (the expiry date was a PA thing and just added unnecessary confusion, like most things with PA): viewtopic.php?p=7309962#p7309962
Unnecessary confusion? All stores have sales and end dates. Why turn this thread into yet another PA hatefest? 🤷‍♂️
I wonder what happens if I press this button...

ramseysounds wrote: Sun Dec 29, 2019 3:38 pm
Gamma-UT wrote: Sun Dec 29, 2019 11:00 am If you can't find an upgrade code, you can email Dmitry and he should be able to fix you up with a replacement (the expiry date was a PA thing and just added unnecessary confusion, like most things with PA): viewtopic.php?p=7309962#p7309962
Unnecessary confusion? All stores have sales and end dates. Why turn this thread into yet another PA hatefest? 🤷‍♂️
I'm not talking about a sale. This is an upgrade coupon to go from 1.1 to 1.2. I know it's hard for you to grasp, but please keep up.

I used the word sale. Smack me. You have turned a thread about a synth into yet another hate PA comment. :roll:

It's still on sale for $49.99, until the 6th, I think. (Without a voucher.)

ramseysounds wrote: Sun Dec 29, 2019 3:48 pm You have turned a thread about a synth into yet another hate PA comment. :roll:
Do your virtue signalling somewhere else. No-one cares.

You clearly do 😂😂

you could grab this and lion for 75 bucks using the new 75$ voucher if you wanted

greedy.mf wrote: Sat Dec 28, 2019 6:47 pm There is always the Computer Music edition. And it is the least cut down amongst all CM plugins.
Bazille CM got the silver.

Third oscillator and second filter are gone, so are effects besides reverb, delay, eq and beautiful distortion.
Since a few people seem to be on the fence in this thread, this bears repeating. It's absolutely stunning for magware. 2 or 3 of the filter modes are missing in addition to the cuts mentioned above, and unless it's been updated I don't believe oscillator oversampling is working. It sounds like a lot of cuts on paper, but what you're left with is a highly capable synth more fully featured than just about anything else you'd find on a coverdisk. Honestly I'd say the lack of oscillator oversampling makes the biggest difference in terms of what you can feasibly do with it, which is a shame as it was almost certainly an oversight rather than a cut. No idea if it's still being updated given that PA took over since it debuted in CM. Well worth the minuscule asking price either way.

Return to “Instruments”