ReFx Nexus 3 (N3) Finally here!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Nexus

plrdmus wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 6:25 pm
Ryan99 wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 5:19 pm I don’t see anything here that is very different from many companies when they upgrade their products, especially now from a more than 10 years old product.
For a product that is based on expansions, it's very different.

You missed the part where you need to pay an upgrade if you want to buy new sounds. And I really doubt the update was indispensable to make those, unless there's a completely new hidden sound engine. On a rompler? Sure, N3 might have a better interpolation algorithm. What else.

It's like releasing books that will open on the Kindle 8 but not on the Kindle 7 because you changed the format.
Yes, that's a huge "f*** you"

And no, not everyone bought it 10 years ago.
Man, you are clearly not thinking straight. If there are features used in the sound that came with N3 then the expansion will obviously will require N3, not Nexus 2 (because those features are missing, duh). :) actually be happy Nexus 3 has backwards compatibility, some synths with new versions even looses that :)

I really dont see how its F* to the customer, so calm down, ReFX did nothing wrong :)

And your comparison with book is totaly incomparable. :)

I would generally agree ReFX has done nothing wrong with its update, and in fact I happily spent the $99 on the upgrade and am satisfied.

However, I do think it's problematic that ReFX apparently promised a free new soundset every Christmas (as referenced in the screenshot back on p. 88 of this thread).

It was perhaps a silly promise to make. That statement about free annual soundsets was not on the website (as I recall) when I made my purchase several years ago, so I don't personally really care. But some people may have purchased when that promise was on the website, and those people may have relied in part on that promise in making their purchase decision. I think those people have a valid complaint. Having made that promise and accepted people's money, ReFX really should be fulfilling its promise to them.

To be clear: I don't think any company, as a general matter, owes free soundsets in perpetuity (or at all). But having made free annual soundsets a specific part of its marketing, with no limitation or disclaimer (at least as revealed on the screenshot from a few pages ago), ReFx really should live up to the express words it chose to use in its own marketing to sell its product.

I think it's just a case of bad timing. It might have been better if they postponed the release of N3 by a month or 2, because now there simply was no time for their yearly advent calendar and free expansion.

Reefius wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 2:32 pm I think it's just a case of bad timing. It might have been better if they postponed the release of N3 by a month or 2, because now there simply was no time for their yearly advent calendar and free expansion.
I htink they should have postponed it until it works. It's meanwhile v3.18 and that says it all.

Gregorius wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 2:35 pm I htink they should have postponed it until it works.
That's a problem with most software developers these days, using their paying customers as beta testers.

At least reFX is fixing bugs quickly, with other developers it sometimes takes months or even years to fix stuff.

Elektronisch wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 9:13 am actually be happy Nexus 3 has backwards compatibility, some synths with new versions even looses that :)
Not completely true. Presets saved with an old Nexus version (lower than 2.4 I think) won't open at all.
Bad design.

plrdmus wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 6:44 pm
Elektronisch wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 9:13 am actually be happy Nexus 3 has backwards compatibility, some synths with new versions even looses that :)
Not completely true. Presets saved with an old Nexus version (lower than 2.4 I think) won't open at all.
Bad design.
This would make it so useless for me cause a lot of projects arent finished and nexus 3 replaces nexus2 file which makes it non recoverable? What kind of logic is this? Did refx replied to this issue yet ? I hate that products get just marketed positively and hyped and such breaking bugs/features get no mention as no youtuber and magazine wants to get on a blacklist. It is the same everywhere. Pr shit and new customers who dunno about this or are not affected and the existing ones get p$$ed.
DAW FL Studio Audio Interface Focusrite Scarlett 1st Gen 2i2 CPU Intel i7-7700K 4.20 GHz, RAM 32 GB Dual-Channel DDR4 @2400MHz Corsair Vengeance. MB Asus Prime Z270-K, GPU Gainward 1070 GTX GS 8GB NT Be Quiet DP 550W OS Win10 64Bit

Just to be clear - old projects with Nexus 2 sounds open fine here. I think the only issue is if you created custom presets.
http://www.guyrowland.co.uk
http://www.sound-on-screen.com
W10, i7 7820X, 64gb RAM, RME Babyface, 1050ti, PT 2023 Ultimate, Cubase Pro 13
Macbook Air M2 OSX 10.15

noiseboyuk wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 7:39 pm Just to be clear - old projects with Nexus 2 sounds open fine here. I think the only issue is if you created custom presets.
I'll just quote myself here:
Gregorius wrote: Sun Dec 22, 2019 3:20 pm I'd already be happy if Nexus3 would load old projects and not just init presets. Friend of mine took the bait, upgraded and not a single old nexus2 project opens correct...

Gregorius wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 7:45 pm
noiseboyuk wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 7:39 pm Just to be clear - old projects with Nexus 2 sounds open fine here. I think the only issue is if you created custom presets.
I'll just quote myself here:
Gregorius wrote: Sun Dec 22, 2019 3:20 pm I'd already be happy if Nexus3 would load old projects and not just init presets. Friend of mine took the bait, upgraded and not a single old nexus2 project opens correct...
Well, ok here. Maybe there was an issue with an earlier build?
Macbook Air M2 OSX 10.15

noiseboyuk wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 8:17 pm Well, ok here. Maybe there was an issue with an earlier build?
Caine123 wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 7:27 pm
plrdmus wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 6:44 pm Not completely true. Presets saved with an old Nexus version (lower than 2.4 I think) won't open at all.
Bad design.
This would make it so useless for me cause a lot of projects arent finished and nexus 3 replaces nexus2 file which makes it non recoverable? What kind of logic is this? Did refx replied to this issue yet ? I hate that products get just marketed positively and hyped and such breaking bugs/features get no mention as no youtuber and magazine wants to get on a blacklist. It is the same everywhere. Pr shit and new customers who dunno about this or are not affected and the existing ones get p$$ed.
Nope.

They said something like "custom presets = made with illegal content so we won't allow loading them"
The thing is, they "think" that all projects saved with earlier versions of Nexus 2 were made with "illegal content" so they won't allow you to open them with Nexus 3. Hah.

plrdmus wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 9:42 pm They said something like "custom presets = made with illegal content so we won't allow loading them"
The thing is, they "think" that all projects saved with earlier versions of Nexus 2 were made with "illegal content" so they won't allow you to open them with Nexus 3. Hah.
This isn't entirely true. It seemed like really old custom presets wouldn't work. But newer custom presets did. To fix this you have to re-save each preset that didn't work in Nexus 2. Which definitely sucks, but once it's done, it's done. I noticed the preset file in the presets folder actually changed from 8 kb to 39 or something like that once re-saved. If you try to open one of these presets in N3, it will tell you to re-save the preset in nexus 2 - a message that came in a few sub-versions after release, so it was not apparent until well after release.

edit - sorry I missed what you said about "projects saved with earlier versions of Nexus 2". So yes, that seems correct.

I'm genuinely curious what proportion of users ever saved their own presets. It never even crossed my mind. I just load theirs and tweak as necessary, which of course gets saved with the project. I'm not sure why anyone would bother trying to sound design their own stuff (as opposed to using a regular synth).
Macbook Air M2 OSX 10.15

noiseboyuk wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 10:37 pm I'm genuinely curious what proportion of users ever saved their own presets. It never even crossed my mind. I just load theirs and tweak as necessary, which of course gets saved with the project. I'm not sure why anyone would bother trying to sound design their own stuff (as opposed to using a regular synth).
Well, if you ask reFX only users with illegal version it seems. :D
Intel® Core™ i9-9900K•Cubase 11•Presonus Eris E8 XT•Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 & Octopre•NI Kontrol S61 MK2•Stein­berg CC121•Synthesizers: Arturia Casio Korg Roland Yamaha

I've owned Nexus since version 1, and have saved my own presets since day one. I had no issue getting them to work in N3, I even wrote a "how to load user presets" early in the this thread somewhere.

The idea, that users only save presets if they're using an illegal version,is f**king ridiculous, some of us customers from day one who've stuck around till this version have been patient for features to make it in nexus.
There has been talk about making nexus deeper since day one,but none of it has really happened yet. Just ask msvs or whatever the guys name is,but now it's no it'll never happen.
INTERFACE: RME ADI-2/4 Pro/Antelope Orion Studio Synergy Core/BAE 1073 MPF Dual/Heritage Audio Successor+SYMPH EQ
SYNTHS: Korg Kronos X 88/Yamaha Montage M8x/Sequential Trigon 6/
Behringer DM12D/Pro-800

Return to “Instruments”