No thread for MusicDevelopments Syne?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Syne

I've always been looking for that spiritual successor to the Kawai k5000 (give me those partials!). Just playing around with this for a few minutes I'm impressed by the sound quality, cpu performance, and level of flexibility.

No other thoughts on it?

It looks nice ... but there were so many synths on sale lately, new releases etc. I feel so over saturated these days.
May be we could motivate the dev to feature the synth on an upcoming OneSynthChallenge? I think that would definitely be fun and it would definitely provide for better sound examples.

BTW: Don't forget to visit http://www.musicdevelopments.com/rc.html. It's a great tool. Not with the most inviting GUI in terms of shiny glitter ... it's more like the Tranzistow or Waverazor under the composition tools.

I like the idea, especially with the way MIDI controllers are implemented and the timeline idea for things like filters. It should be possible to get some much more organic sounds out of this compared to most additives. Unfortunately, it has flown under the radar a bit.

It's very crashy on OS X Mojave, however. It doesn't like having its window closed.

That's too bad for mac. It jumps out at me as being very warm for an additive. The demos speak for themselves. I also love the fact that there aren't traditional effects with it. It has its strength and let the other stuff be external. Really cool.

RC I've gotten to the checkout several times and then stopped, only because I feel I need to internalize music theory a little more before I start leveraging such a strong tool. I could be wrong of course.

Gamma-UT wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:13 pm I like the idea, especially with the way MIDI controllers are implemented and the timeline idea for things like filters. It should be possible to get some much more organic sounds out of this compared to most additives. Unfortunately, it has flown under the radar a bit.

It's very crashy on OS X Mojave, however. It doesn't like having its window closed.
... then please send a bug report. The developer is very responsive and communication helps polishing this gem... every single bug I reported was taken care of by Attila.
In my opinion Syne is a very nice instrument with a well thought-out concept, flexible and of great quality soundwise.
If you also see potential in it, buy it and with that purchase ensure further development. Take a look at how Attila is constantly working on improvements and feature additions for Rapid Composer, always having an ear for user opinions and suggestions...
Syne in its current state is certainly worth a test run... Check out the demo version, be sure to read the short manual and judge for yourself.

Regards,
tl.

Anyone have/try rapidcomposer compared to captain chords, scaler, riffed, etc? Looks intriguing

tl wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 6:58 pm
Gamma-UT wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:13 pm I like the idea, especially with the way MIDI controllers are implemented and the timeline idea for things like filters. It should be possible to get some much more organic sounds out of this compared to most additives. Unfortunately, it has flown under the radar a bit.

... then please send a bug report.
I think it might have fixed itself - what I didn't do was reboot before trying it out in Live and remembered that after I posted.

I've bought the plugin in any case: I think it's got definite potential.

I'm buying it, thanks :)

Greetings, everyone! :)

If you have any questions about Syne or RapidComposer I will gladly reply them.
I am going to make more audio demos, e.g. for wavetables (I think they should be called partial tables...) because it makes a big difference to have the wavetables spectral interpolated.

I have lots of plans for Syne, which depend on the reception. Almost all sound effects and synthesis methods can be nicely simulated in additive synthesis, sometimes with more options (look at PWM strong and aggressive mode), as well as irregularities in partial frequencies and amplitudes which are very important to get organic sounds.
I am going to add FM synthesis, MPE support, analysis of imported or live audio, maybe HRTF. It would be interesting to "sample" the partial changes in physical instruments and apply them to any sounds. A dedicated formant filter would be useful. A built-in step sequencer with parameter envelopes editing is among the plans too.

I would like to hear feedback about the UI because some people found it unconventional.

Thanks!
Attila
https://www.musicdevelopments.com
Home of RapidComposer, Melodya, MIDI Mutator and Syne
All software 40% off during the Anniversary Sale until April 29!

musicdevelopments wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 8:01 am I am going to add FM synthesis, MPE support, analysis of imported or live audio, maybe HRTF. It would be interesting to "sample" the partial changes in physical instruments and apply them to any sounds. A dedicated formant filter would be useful. A built-in step sequencer with parameter envelopes editing is among the plans too.
:hyper:
:tu:

core sound without effects is cleaner and more powerful to me than lots of other synths....like the human factors and UI....mousewheel, drag, mouseovers......preset category tagging....test sound button to hear changes in real time....undo/reset for modules....love the random button, and the incremental percentage random for when you feel you are close to something you like....probably the best tiered random button implementation I've seen........i think every deep tool should have these.....biotek, waverazor...cough cough....not a really wide palette of sounds did i discover...typical synth sounds...but good synth sounds...tried to import some sample wavs as wavetables.....experimented with number of harmonics per frame and number of partials per frame....and creating like 5 frames....never figured out parallel chains or using more than one of the four generator modules....pretty crashy though on reaper win7....not a big additive fan...been checking them out since virsyn cube days....harmor is said to be the resynthesis standard.....akoustik has an interesting take trying to get closer to real world instruments, but still fairly synthetic...but I haven't heard yet any additive get any more real than physical modeling...which itself is still a ways off from the timbre and visceral response psycho acoustically of samples in my experience

But this was a breath of fresh air......i'm ear fatigued of synthetic sounds and never been a big synth guy,....but the presentation on the site was clear and informative in highlighting its philosophy and uniqueness....got me interested enough to demo which is sayin a lot in 2020.....one of the few synths that has ever made me want to sound design from scratch....all in all I think this has great potential!...congrats!....watching closely
Last edited by bermudagold on Sat Jan 11, 2020 5:21 am, edited 6 times in total.
Music had a one night stand with sound design.....And the condom broke

Thanks for the detailed feedback, bermudagold!
Attila
https://www.musicdevelopments.com
Home of RapidComposer, Melodya, MIDI Mutator and Syne
All software 40% off during the Anniversary Sale until April 29!

Those updates sound incredible, it's a no brainer to buy it at this price. Thanks for such a cool synth! For myself personally I believe the UI is fine for the target audience which seems to be sound designers who want truly deep synthesis control. I played with PDdata a very long time ago and it struck me as a higher level form of that geared to additive synthesis - a very favorable impression. I'm sure I'll report back more in weeks :)

Downloaded the demo, haven’t found a single interesting preset, wanted to import a wave, but you can only import wavetables (what for??? that does not make sense!!!). Compared to Loom pretty lame... No MPE is inexcusable nowadays...
It might have potential, but they have had to show it...

Return to “Instruments”