Disappointment in hardware synths

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Anyhoo, I'm with the OP. He got caught up in the bullshit hype and bought the wrong synths. He should have paid attention to me and bought an Uno or two instead. And maybe a Trueno to go with it. Or maybe a Korg Monologue, even a Minilogue. Korg realise that they have to keep the two things separate - their classic reissues and their modern analogue synths - and that's what they do. People with work to do will buy the modern ones and crazy people with too much time on their hands and nothing to get done will buy the classic reissues.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

http://www.hrastprogrammer.com/hrastwerk/tranzistow.htm ...try it then donate ... hardware / software it's all BS

BONES wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 1:15 am it definitely isn't going to sell too many people on what you're peddling.
The point was that you can build a track with one mono synth, the quality (or lack of it) of my production wasn't :hihi:

Haha let me get this right. Person buy hardware synth without informing himself, like wtf just read initial post it looks like OP completely missed a point and now KVR workflow experts and product managers at KVR logically decide HW synths are bullshit hype.

Hahahahahaha

KVR "experts" at it best

Distorted Horizon wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 6:20 amThe point was that you can build a track with one mono synth, the quality (or lack of it) of my production wasn't :hihi:
Yeah, and Cabaret Voltaire started out with an oboe covered in Xmas lights and a looped recording of a jackhammer. KMFDM started out with a room full of vacuum cleaners with the motors all tuned to different frequencies. Doesn't mean anyone wants to f**k about like that today.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

BONES wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 12:01 pm
Distorted Horizon wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 6:20 amThe point was that you can build a track with one mono synth, the quality (or lack of it) of my production wasn't :hihi:
Yeah, and Cabaret Voltaire started out with an oboe covered in Xmas lights and a looped recording of a jackhammer. KMFDM started out with a room full of vacuum cleaners with the motors all tuned to different frequencies. Doesn't mean anyone wants to f**k about like that today.
Well the op said that "a pure analog synth is more a toy than a workhorse device", which isn't true. Ofc you can do alot more and faster with for example Dune3, but still you can make great music with one analog monosynth and layering/multiple recordings.

^ Exactly. My post was also in direct response to the OP, or parts of it anyway.

*Not* trying to suggest that making music with one monosynth is the best approach, or even a particularly advisable one really.

FWIW, I CBF ever doing so. :p

I do, however, own an analog mono, am very glad I do, and yes, I make use of it.

VariKusBrainZ wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 11:41 pm I bought a car recently and feel totally duped.
Turns out its completely manual and I need to use my hands, feet and even my eyes (all at the same time)!!
I was under the impression that all cars are self driving these days so whats with this outdated technology, I feel totally conned.
Not only that but it doesnt even know where I want to go.

I have to admit I didnt test drive any cars or read any reviews, I just ordered one off the internet thing but thats not the point.
I feel your pain.

Distorted Horizon wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 12:17 pmWell the op said that "a pure analog synth is more a toy than a workhorse device", which isn't true. Ofc you can do alot more and faster with for example Dune3, but still you can make great music with one analog monosynth and layering/multiple recordings.
Just because you can do something, doesn't mean you should. I could go back to doing everything in hardware, easily, but it would be a really stupid idea when I can get more done, in less time, to a higher standard, for a tiny fraction of the cost, by doing it all on my PC.

To use my favourite kind of analogy, I could drive around in a vintage car from the 1970s if I wanted to but a modern car is better in every way - faster, more comfortable, quieter, safer, less polluting and better equipped - so why would I put up with some old clunker, even if it has been lovingly restored?

The difference is that the vintage car owner doesn't try and convince everyone his car is better because he knows it isn't and is comfortable in that knowledge. So why is it that people like you have to try and convince the world that their antiquated toys are something more than they are? Why can't you just accept that your way is not the best way, it's just what you prefer to do? That is certainly the case with me - I have hardware because I like having hardware I understand fully that it's not better than working ITB but I just like having it around. It's an irrational choice and I am completely happy with that. Why aren't you?
kvotchin wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 1:10 pmI do, however, own an analog mono, am very glad I do, and yes, I make use of it.
I own 5 at the moment. I am also glad I do but I don't try and pretend I have them around for anything but the "fun" factor, which makes them toys. I play around with hardware, just as a child plays with toys, but when I want to get work done, it's software all the way. What's wrong with that?

kvotchin wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 8:57 pm I don’t know if there are better examples out there, or whatever, they came up from a quick search.
Maybe the best demo...
https://youtu.be/0X3tc-S_eB8

Distorted Horizon wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 8:14 pm
Jace-BeOS wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 7:12 pm
Distorted Horizon wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 10:17 am
Jace-BeOS wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:52 am
Distorted Horizon wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:43 am
Jace-BeOS wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:36 am

Those tiny units just don’t appeal to me. They seem so clumsy.
But the fun is there. Keys is pretty much wysiwyg to operate and if you don't have fun with it, I can almost say that don't bother with anything more expensive.
I don’t see those little sticks-as-knobs to be fun for tweaking. Also, there’s no modularity.
Then grab volca modular.. But the point is, you can't tell if you don't try.
Maybe you missed the bit where I said I don’t consider those little sticks to be knobs... :-)
Did you give'em a try? 8)
I’ve experienced those on other products throughout my life. I don’t like them.
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

BONES wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 11:32 pm
kvotchin wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 1:10 pmI do, however, own an analog mono, am very glad I do, and yes, I make use of it.
I own 5 at the moment. I am also glad I do but I don't try and pretend I have them around for anything but the "fun" factor, which makes them toys. I play around with hardware, just as a child plays with toys, but when I want to get work done, it's software all the way. What's wrong with that?
I just love how what applies to you in your mind must automatically apply to everyone else. :roll:

But sure, I’ll answer anyway: there’s nothing “wrong” with that, of course.

But from my PoV (and no, I don’t care whatsoever that you differ on this), analog hardware simply sounds different, and for some purposes (of mine, that is), better.

That is why I bother with hardware at all. Because sometimes sampling and/or modelling doesn’t quite cut it.

What i hope is that all these new cheap HW synths will produce some live bands. Instead of being stuck with a computer in a room

Why would they? We've been taking our computer on stage for 20 years. Even when we first played in Europe I took a desktop PC and just borrowed monitors from the venues we played at. It wasn't ideal but it worked OK. These days I can catch the bus to a gig with my entire stage set-up, including keyboard stand.
kvotchin wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 12:06 pmI just love how what applies to you in your mind must automatically apply to everyone else. :roll:
Well, of course it does. If you aren't taking full advantage of all the modern tools at your disposal, then you are just playing around, treating your instruments like toys. Just because you don't see it that way doesn't change the fact of it.
But from my PoV (and no, I don’t care whatsoever that you differ on this), analog hardware simply sounds different, and for some purposes (of mine, that is), better.
This is the problem, you can't say "better", you can only say that you prefer to use those instruments. "Better" is something you cannot prove objectively in any way. e.g. I could put up a series of audio clips and there is no way you would know which were created digitally and which were actually analogue, even if I was playing to each instrument's strengths. And every instrument sounds different, that's why we use more than one.

Been gone for a while.

I see now we have moved from software+hardware wars into retro+modern wars...

Yay!
Mac Pro 2x3.3 GHz X5680 64GB RAM - RME RayDAT - RME ADI-8 DS - Audeze LCD2 - Neurochrome HP-2 - Mackie C4 Pro

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”