Korg releases Korg Triton VST

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
KORG Collection

Good to know your experiences. I plan to reformat and start a clean boot since I replaced the older SSD I had for boot with NVME. It might be related somehow, as my specs definitely seem fine for something like this.

SSD doesn't influence this stuff, since Triton is not streaming anything from disk...

Much older i7 3770K (3.5Gz), 16Gb RAM, RME Baby (128 samples), Win 10 Pro, tested in several DAWs (Cubase Pro 10.5; S1 4.6; BWS 3.1.2; Reason 11.1) - several instances of Triton are freely playable , without falling out and clicking. Moreover, when adding additional tracks with Triton, the load increases slightly. Although, compared with other VSTi Legacy series, more resource-intensive, but uncritical.
What we would like in the next updates is the multi-channel output of Triton layers.

EvilDragon wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:16 am SSD doesn't influence this stuff, since Triton is not streaming anything from disk...
I never said that. This is my incentive for a new clear Windows reinstallation.

Saw Triton rack for sale with several expansions.. 1000€

Maybe the vst version isn't such a bad deal :D

Ok EvilDragon.. I have another system -- which is faster than the original one I tested with. It's an AMD Ryzen-7 3700x... 8 cores and 16G memory, with .M2 harddrive. I'm gonna try that tonight at 128 samples and 256 polyphony. My audio card is firewire. BTW, are you using firewire or USB on your device?

UFX+ connected via Thunderbolt. But it's same via USB3.

Distorted Horizon wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:43 pm Saw Triton rack for sale with several expansions.. 1000€

Maybe the vst version isn't such a bad deal :D
EXACTLY :D :lol:

Triton Standalone — on Mac
Using a Novation SL MK3 Controller

I am having trouble figuring out how to get general MIDI and Drum patches mapped. I’ve been able to get Bank changes working from the MK3.
Rotary Knob 1 - CC#0 : Values: 0 - 3 = Factory A through Factory D
Rotary Knob 2 - CC#0 : Values: 8 - 16 = EXB PCM 01 - 09
Any other Values that are not 0-3 or 8-16 will default to Factory Bank A

I am not seeing a way to map the General MIDI or Drums mentioned? Are these also Standard MIDI messages, or something else? Any help would be appreciated! Thanks -
Joe
fmr wrote: Sat Dec 28, 2019 8:28 pm
EvilDragon wrote: Sat Dec 28, 2019 5:58 pm
fmr wrote: Sat Dec 28, 2019 2:03 pmEDIT: I got it to work, but I only need CC 32 (apparently CC 0 is ignored)
...which is exactly what I said! :)

BTW, to choose General MIDI banks, you need to set MSB 121, LSB 0-8. Works here.

The particular rack instrument thingie you're experiencing fmr might just be a Cubase issue.
Thanks Mario. CC 121 (and 120 for Drums) works... but in REAPER. I still get all kinds of issues in Cubase. And I noticed that in REAPER, when we write the two controllers (00/32) they get merged in a single message, while in Cubase they are kept separated.

Maybe that's why, but the way Cubase handles things is the correct way, AFAIK. CC messages are to be send one after the other, and followed by program Change. Things should work that way. And how can this be a Cubase issue since Cubase works well with the others (including M1 and Wavestation from KLC)?

Huh well I’ll be darned.. just fired up my amd ryzen 7 3700x system with m-audio FireWire audio card... set to 64 samples (1.3ms delay), fired up the KORG triton vst with 256 notes polyphony and it played perfectly. Similar to your experience EvilDragon with lots of pedal and no glitches whatsoever. It’s hardly playable on my other system.. an amd fx-8350 which is a previous generation 8 core machine. Tested with same OS and soundcard but with higher samples (256) and 64 notes polyphony. I guess I’ll have to Troubleshoot my old system.

MikeLupo wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 12:15 am Huh well I’ll be darned.. just fired up my amd ryzen 7 3700x system with m-audio FireWire audio card... set to 64 samples (1.3ms delay), fired up the KORG triton vst with 256 notes polyphony and it played perfectly. Similar to your experience EvilDragon with lots of pedal and no glitches whatsoever. It’s hardly playable on my other system.. an amd fx-8350 which is a previous generation 8 core machine. Tested with same OS and soundcard but with higher samples (256) and 64 notes polyphony. I guess I’ll have to Troubleshoot my old system.
There's nothing you can do to "fix" that, that processor is not even really previous generation, it was released in 2012, but that's not the issue. The issue is that it has really poor single thread performances, so poor that your Ryzen 3700X is literally 2 times faster.

Triton appears to be single threaded, that's why you get that cracklings at lower latency settings.

I can confirm that going lower than 256 samples I get the same issues as you, with my AMD A8-7600, newer than yours, but "same" architecture issues, despite AMD claims of improvements :D

The only thing you can do, if you want more power, and salvage most of the machine you have, is to get an "old" Intel i7 processor, and a compatible motherboard, so that you can reuse your DDR3 RAMs (check compatibility) and you can finally get the performances AMD claimed to have.

SonicBlue555 wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:29 pm
MikeLupo wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 12:15 am Huh well I’ll be darned.. just fired up my amd ryzen 7 3700x system with m-audio FireWire audio card... set to 64 samples (1.3ms delay), fired up the KORG triton vst with 256 notes polyphony and it played perfectly. Similar to your experience EvilDragon with lots of pedal and no glitches whatsoever. It’s hardly playable on my other system.. an amd fx-8350 which is a previous generation 8 core machine. Tested with same OS and soundcard but with higher samples (256) and 64 notes polyphony. I guess I’ll have to Troubleshoot my old system.
There's nothing you can do to "fix" that, that processor is not even really previous generation, it was released in 2012, but that's not the issue. The issue is that it has really poor single thread performances, so poor that your Ryzen 3700X is literally 2 times faster.

Triton appears to be single threaded, that's why you get that cracklings at lower latency settings.

I can confirm that going lower than 256 samples I get the same issues as you, with my AMD A8-7600, newer than yours, but "same" architecture issues, despite AMD claims of improvements :D

The only thing you can do, if you want more power, and salvage most of the machine you have, is to get an "old" Intel i7 processor, and a compatible motherboard, so that you can reuse your DDR3 RAMs (check compatibility) and you can finally get the performances AMD claimed to have.
Ahh that makes total sense. And after checking I found I have a ryzen 7 1800x. But the single-thread speed explains now why I would have glitches with older fx-8350.

SonicBlue555 wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:29 pm

Same goes for my i7-6700K?

tristan- wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:33 pm Same goes for my i7-6700K?
Definitely not, but before attributing the issue to the plugin optimization, we have to find out if there's something wrong with your system.

Have you tried running LatencyMon while playing with the plugin? This should highlight if there's some driver that is causing slowdowns.

It’s seems to be AMD issue only

Return to “Instruments”