Latest Linux Builds (8272)

Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

skottish wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:43 am u-he's synths are designed to install in the users' home directory.
They are no more "designed" to do so than any other software. As far as I can see there should be no hurdles to speak of to place them for example under /usr/local, usr/lib/vst or /opt/. Or any of the other paths where users can run software from.

Other VSTs that are installed from the Ubuntu repos are typically located in usr/lib/vst if I recall correctly.

Beamboom wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 12:11 pm
skottish wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:43 am u-he's synths are designed to install in the users' home directory.
They are no more "designed" to do so than any other software. As far as I can see there should be no hurdles to speak of to place them for example under /usr/local, usr/lib/vst or /opt/. Or any of the other paths where users can run software from.

Other VSTs that are installed from the Ubuntu repos are typically located in usr/lib/vst if I recall correctly.
The U-he installer scripts are pretty easy to edit, but moving plugin links
out of .vst is mostly pointless, as it's a path that linux daws can always scan,
and where linvst wrapped windows plugins can coexist.

From a u-he install script, note the as AS_ROOT=0 below

This can be flipped to a 1 if a root-user installation
is desired/needed (as in Puppy Linux variants)
--------------------------------------------------------------
#! /bin/sh -e

# change to the script directory
cd $(dirname "$0")

# initialization
PRODUCT="Repro-1"
if test -t 0 -a -t 1 ; then
INTERACTIF=1
else
INTERACTIF=0
fi
AS_ROOT=0
QUIET=0
VSTDIR="$HOME/.vst/u-he"
VST3DIR="$HOME/.vst3/u-he"
WITH_32=0
ARCH=$(uname -m)
NO_PRESETS=0
...snip...

Cheers

Someone posted about the coming Zebra 2.9 and discount
in a linux musicans market forum, and it has over a hundred views.
Let's hope there will be some testers-turned-first-time-U-he-buyers
among them.

Someone with kids on the Christmas list could do worse,
especially with BF deals on midi controllers etc. Gifts that
last a lifetime are often the best! :hyper:

Hi abique, hi all at U-He, hi forum people...

Is there any news about current Linux build status?
I would like to try new Uhbik, and all the rest, clearly...

May I help in any way? I'm a developer and I'm willing to help abique, so under his complete control obviously for free.

Can sign any NDA and all the rest. Just if needed...

Fabrizio

What is the status of Uhbik2 bundle on Linux?

Uhbik 2 is still in alpha state. And there is a crash in the Linux version which prevents us from posting an Uhbik alpha for Linux atm.
That QA guy from planet u-he.

Is the crash to do with graphics? Just curious.

Has to do with the new spectrum view in Uhbik-Q.

Is the problem isolated to X11/Wayland or regardless?

I don't know that. But since it's crashing in multiple Linux versions on different computers, probably "regardless".
Alex might know for sure.

Okay, thanks anyway!
X11 is the legacy Linux display server, Wayland is the new (decidedly). My thought was perhaps one has issues which the other doesn't.

Well, Lunardings, that's not as obvious as it sounds... unfortunately.
UbuntuStudio up to 19.10 is still Xorg based and it's main multimedia distribution, very well suited for music applications. For what I know that's true for the whole Ubuntu.
I have to check for the other distributions but wayland is, currently, still a promise, not an established technology, up to my knowledge.
Many applications do not run on Wayland, and multiscreen output is poor performance, not naming networked.
So, I would stick with Xorg.
Just my 2c.

Fabrizio

fsciarra62, yes, true! I'm on Fedora, presently, which has Wayland for Gnome--only. I use KDE, so it's X for me on that count. Plus, I have a discreet graphics card by an unavoidable company called nVidia; so X on that count as well, if I'm to use the official driver. Yes, I know there's been advancement on the Wayland-nVidia front, but it's not complete as I understand it. Plus, there's the Wayland multiscreen stuff, which I don't have experience with. Although, I do use mutliscreens.
So, yeah ... I'm not getting away from Xorg anytime soon. Which is fine; it does everything I need and works very well.

The matter I was curious about though, concerning U-he's new builds, is which display server--if the problem resides there at all-- might the builds be crashing upon.

Hi,
in my experience, most of times that I had troubles on Linux, which were not happening in windows, were related to difference (substancial) in scheduling for multithreaded applications... and some dangling pointers.. :-D
Most GUI are not directly programmed in X, nowadays: you use a toolkit. Sometimes the thread safety is not well suited or, often, task scheduling differences bring at light some architectural flaws.
That is what, in my experience, has stronger incidence on windows/Linux porting and maintenance for cross platform software products. And dependency on 3rd party libraries, of course.
Never had problem with X per se. Nor really OpenGL by itself, too.

I cannot imagine how painful is mac support.
And I'm fine keeping myself and my company ignorant on that. :-D

Fabrizio

Thanks you for plugins,

should i install them with install.sh or simply drag and drop the folder in my linux vst folder ?

regards

Return to “u-he Linux support”