Dorico SE 3 (Free version)

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Just got the email. I'm almost completely music-notation-illiterate, but I'm giving it a go.
(3 gb download via Steinbergs downloader. Not sure if you need a dongle.)
https://new.steinberg.net/dorico/se/

edit:
https://new.steinberg.net/dorico/compare-editions/

Can you create quickly a simple lead sheet with Dorico SE? Bars, chords (ie C7 Bbmin) , lyrics...?

Only 2 players? And despite that 3 Gigabyte? Mmmhh ... :?: :ud:
free mp3s + info: andy-enroe.de songs + weird stuff: enroe.de

enroe wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 6:51 am Only 2 players? And despite that 3 Gigabyte? Mmmhh ... :?: :ud:
Musescore will be a tough competition...

enroe wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 6:51 am Only 2 players? And despite that 3 Gigabyte? Mmmhh ... :?: :ud:
2.5 of that is the HALion SE library, which you may not need. You can use any other sound source.

I suppose it's more of a demo? Might be useful if you want to learn music notation...

Of course it is, what would you expect from a free version which is that high priced for the full one?

Tj Shredder wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 7:38 am
Musescore will be a tough competition...
With only two players (only two instruments simultaneously), Dorico SE can't really compete with MuseScore, where you can write full orchestral scores. Hard for Steinberg to compete against a very high-quality free software, I guess.

Dorico is a very facile program and as with any limited version, they're trying to rope you in. Not everyone has an issue paying for software, though Dorico is pretty pricey.

Yep, really nice, I checked the SE version for some hours. I realized pretty quickly, though, the restrictions were too much of a hindrance for me, and I am not pro enough for shelling out 560,- bucks (Pro Version) for "just" a score editing program. Btw, I use the score editor of Cubase regularly.

Hi there, my first post on this forum - it’s great to be able to share thoughts in this music lovers community.
For me SE version is rather a free viewer for scores made in paid versions, maybe it’s also a way to "have a taste" of the software. Saying that, I’m Dorico user from version 1, but before I was jumping between Finale, Sibelius, Encore, MuseScore, even Lilypond (and it’s very convenient for some kinds of music/scores) for twenty years. Dorico’s most important advantage over competition is (imho) thinking in terms of music rather then music notation elements. So you give up some of direct layout control but gain flexibility and speed. Dorico is great for standardized notation elements, if you are up to conceiving your own notation systems or doing new music/avant-garde, you would be better off with something else (probably INdesign, ekhem).

I spent some time with SE in order to get familiar with dorico. I like the program and I think I would feel comfortable using the full version. Though it's price is much too high of cause, nor does it have rewire.

And the free MuseScore is indeed very good but without rewire, and so I continue looking at alternatives.
Last edited by harvon on Wed Jan 22, 2020 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I recently purchased Sonic Scores Overture during the holiday sale. I have yet to really play with it; it seems similar to Dorico in that it also lets you edit your musical score via a piano roll interface.
[Core i7 8700 | 32GB DDR4 | Win11 x64 | Studio One 6 Pro | FL Studio ASIO/WASAPI ]

The Overture looks interessant too, as would any score editor that allows vst plugins, and it's much cheaper than dorico/sibelius/finale.

I don't know if there are DAWs and score editors that are vst plugins; such could be very usefull.

EDIT

I ended my overture trial very quickly. Mousing some notes into score, changing my mind about what the meter should be and cut/paste moving note groups around in score brought the thing in disarray. The play engine didn't play anymore what the score showed but something else. Any normal beta testing should find and remove these kind of bugs.
Last edited by harvon on Sat Jan 25, 2020 3:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.

harvon wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 12:22 am I spent some time with SE in order to get familiar with dorico. I like the program and I think I would feel comfortable using the full version. Though it's price is much too high of cause, nor does it have rewire.

And the free MuseScore is indeed very good but without rewire, and so I continue looking at alternatives.
Finale has ReWire (but it's also expensive)
Fernando (FMR)

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”