Unify by PluginGuru; The next big thing?

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
User avatar
getdunne
KVRist
78 posts since 9 Mar, 2017

Post Fri Jan 17, 2020 7:34 am

trusampler wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 6:51 am
I love the idea of unify, and plan on one day using it live to replace my Kore 2 live setup. I'm slow to change, but ultimately this should be the program to do it.
One thing I'll need is it to support drag n drop, I use the mpc software for my live setup. Currently, it's not able to drag wave files onto the mpc software pads.

Wishlist: I'd like to see an option for the text on the browser to be smaller, or more of an extensive improved browser for our multis we save.

Also the ability to actually stack our multis together, should be possible. I'm not a fan of any sort of drop down menus, I think it should be possible to drag n drop everything.

Keep up the great work guys!!!
Thanks, @trusampler. This is great feedback.

starflakeprj
KVRian
1264 posts since 28 Feb, 2015

Re: Unify by PluginGuru; The next big thing?

Post Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:53 pm

Would it be possible to strip Unify completely. I mean from all samples and "stock" plugins? And just use your own plugins?
Intel Core i7-4930K@4.1GHz | 64GB DDR3 | Windows 10 Pro | Arturia AudioFuse | Arturia KeyLab mkII | Arturia SparkLE | PreSonus ATOM | Studio One 4.6 | Reason 11.2 | Bitwig Studio 3.1 | Reaper 6 | Renoise 3.1 | FL Studio 20.6 | ~1000 VSTs | ~300+ REs

User avatar
dionenoid
KVRian
579 posts since 3 Jan, 2019 from Holland

Re: Unify by PluginGuru; The next big thing?

Post Fri Jan 17, 2020 4:29 pm

starflakeprj wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:53 pm
Would it be possible to strip Unify completely. I mean from all samples and "stock" plugins? And just use your own plugins?
Yes. There's an Init button, basically giving you a clean set-up (with only a sine osc, which you replace with one of your own synths).
More BPM please

starflakeprj
KVRian
1264 posts since 28 Feb, 2015

Re: Unify by PluginGuru; The next big thing?

Post Fri Jan 17, 2020 6:18 pm

dionenoid wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 4:29 pm
starflakeprj wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:53 pm
Would it be possible to strip Unify completely. I mean from all samples and "stock" plugins? And just use your own plugins?
Yes. There's an Init button, basically giving you a clean set-up (with only a sine osc, which you replace with one of your own synths).
Thanks, but I was more thinking of removing all content so there are no factory presets or stock plugins to choose from.
Intel Core i7-4930K@4.1GHz | 64GB DDR3 | Windows 10 Pro | Arturia AudioFuse | Arturia KeyLab mkII | Arturia SparkLE | PreSonus ATOM | Studio One 4.6 | Reason 11.2 | Bitwig Studio 3.1 | Reaper 6 | Renoise 3.1 | FL Studio 20.6 | ~1000 VSTs | ~300+ REs

David
KVRian
1466 posts since 5 Jan, 2003 from Brookings, OR

Re: Unify by PluginGuru; The next big thing?

Post Fri Jan 17, 2020 7:20 pm

starflakeprj wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 6:18 pm
dionenoid wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 4:29 pm
starflakeprj wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:53 pm
Would it be possible to strip Unify completely. I mean from all samples and "stock" plugins? And just use your own plugins?
Yes. There's an Init button, basically giving you a clean set-up (with only a sine osc, which you replace with one of your own synths).
Thanks, but I was more thinking of removing all content so there are no factory presets or stock plugins to choose from.
You could play around with removing content from the Unify Standard Library to discover which if any parts of that are required for Unify to work at all. All the included presets and free plugins are in there...

mrsugmad
KVRist
186 posts since 30 Nov, 2007

Re: Unify by PluginGuru; The next big thing?

Post Fri Jan 17, 2020 8:39 pm

Here's Skippy talking about Unify at NAM 2020:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... e=emb_logo

User avatar
getdunne
KVRist
78 posts since 9 Mar, 2017

Re: Unify by PluginGuru; The next big thing?

Post Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:20 pm

starflakeprj wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:53 pm
Would it be possible to strip Unify completely. I mean from all samples and "stock" plugins? And just use your own plugins?
This is an intriguing question. Can you explain a bit more what you have in mind, I mean, why you want to do this?

Short answer: Yes. You can remove all the bundled plug-ins and the Unify Standard Library, but the built-in plug-ins would remain (they're built into the code). If you're going to do that, though, you might as well use any of several other "blank slate" plug-in aggregator tools on the market like Blue Cat's Patchwork, DDMF Metaplugin, etc. I'm not sure why you'd want to. Maybe I'm missing something?

tony10000
KVRian
749 posts since 4 Aug, 2017

Re: Unify by PluginGuru; The next big thing?

Post Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:26 pm

getdunne wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:20 pm
starflakeprj wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:53 pm
Would it be possible to strip Unify completely. I mean from all samples and "stock" plugins? And just use your own plugins?
This is an intriguing question. Can you explain a bit more what you have in mind, I mean, why you want to do this?

Short answer: Yes. You can remove all the bundled plug-ins and the Unify Standard Library, but the built-in plug-ins would remain (they're built into the code). If you're going to do that, though, you might as well use any of several other "blank slate" plug-in aggregator tools on the market like Blue Cat's Patchwork, DDMF Metaplugin, etc. I'm not sure why you'd want to. Maybe I'm missing something?
I can understand removing the presets, but why remove everything else as you can customize it to your heart's content?


starflakeprj
KVRian
1264 posts since 28 Feb, 2015

Re: Unify by PluginGuru; The next big thing?

Post Sat Jan 18, 2020 2:13 am

getdunne wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:20 pm
starflakeprj wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:53 pm
Would it be possible to strip Unify completely. I mean from all samples and "stock" plugins? And just use your own plugins?
This is an intriguing question. Can you explain a bit more what you have in mind, I mean, why you want to do this?

Short answer: Yes. You can remove all the bundled plug-ins and the Unify Standard Library, but the built-in plug-ins would remain (they're built into the code). If you're going to do that, though, you might as well use any of several other "blank slate" plug-in aggregator tools on the market like Blue Cat's Patchwork, DDMF Metaplugin, etc. I'm not sure why you'd want to. Maybe I'm missing something?
I guess i would be ok removing all the bundled software. The reason I'm asking is because I have collected too many plugins during tve years, and I'm thinking of using only the best of the best plugins with Unify (my choice), and then plugins like Dexed, OB-Xd, BlueARP and other would just be a disturbance, to me.

What I liked with Unify (I have a few other plugin aggregators) is how you handle CPU load. Moat of the other seems to load everything on just one core, as do moat of the layering features in the DAWs I own, at least it looks like that.

I am curios of the upcoming features though, so I might re-install it again with all the bundles content, but for now I am only interested in the core features.
Intel Core i7-4930K@4.1GHz | 64GB DDR3 | Windows 10 Pro | Arturia AudioFuse | Arturia KeyLab mkII | Arturia SparkLE | PreSonus ATOM | Studio One 4.6 | Reason 11.2 | Bitwig Studio 3.1 | Reaper 6 | Renoise 3.1 | FL Studio 20.6 | ~1000 VSTs | ~300+ REs

focusrite
KVRist
299 posts since 20 Aug, 2010

Re: Unify by PluginGuru; The next big thing?

Post Sat Jan 18, 2020 4:27 am

@getdunne Can you please try to fix surge compatibility. It breaks the window and cannot be moved or closed. Maybe something in the resizing capabilities of surge? Screenshot for reference.

Windows 10
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

tony10000
KVRian
749 posts since 4 Aug, 2017

Re: Unify by PluginGuru; The next big thing?

Post Sat Jan 18, 2020 4:37 am

focusrite wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 4:27 am
@getdunne Can you please try to fix surge compatibility. It breaks the window and cannot be moved or closed. Maybe something in the resizing capabilities of surge? Screenshot for reference.
Windows 10
Surge works fine on my system under Unify, Ableton 10, Windows 10.

focusrite
KVRist
299 posts since 20 Aug, 2010

Re: Unify by PluginGuru; The next big thing?

Post Sat Jan 18, 2020 4:50 am

tony10000 wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 4:37 am
focusrite wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 4:27 am
@getdunne Can you please try to fix surge compatibility. It breaks the window and cannot be moved or closed. Maybe something in the resizing capabilities of surge? Screenshot for reference.
Windows 10
Surge works fine on my system under Unify, Ableton 10, Windows 10.
What size is surge and unify set to respectively on your setup?

User avatar
SciFiArtMan
KVRian
1170 posts since 24 May, 2006 from Our Amazing Oasis in Space - USA Section

Re: Unify by PluginGuru; The next big thing?

Post Sat Jan 18, 2020 4:54 am

Next, someone will be asking if we can remove all colors and flavors from the world! You know - get back to basics.
Last edited by SciFiArtMan on Sat Jan 18, 2020 10:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

tony10000
KVRian
749 posts since 4 Aug, 2017

Re: Unify by PluginGuru; The next big thing?

Post Sat Jan 18, 2020 5:04 am

focusrite wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 4:50 am
tony10000 wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 4:37 am
focusrite wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 4:27 am
@getdunne Can you please try to fix surge compatibility. It breaks the window and cannot be moved or closed. Maybe something in the resizing capabilities of surge? Screenshot for reference.
Windows 10
Surge works fine on my system under Unify, Ableton 10, Windows 10.
What size is surge and unify set to respectively on your setup?
Full screen for Unify and 100% (default) for Surge.

I found the bug. Unify does not like it when you try to change Surge size from default.

Return to “Instruments”