PLASMONIC - A new synth from Brian Clevinger

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Absynth Plasmonic

zvenx wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 3:57 am i too am not a fan of the GUI, but I find it very reminiscent of Absynth so I am going to guess that is indeed the GUI.
rsp
Even the GUI is in progress. Everyone should look at the information given on the websites before jumping to conclusions.

States Prototype under the picture of the GUI. and this on the website.
Plasmonic is currently under development, so features are continuously being added and improved. Please note that we are open to suggestions!

BONES wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 4:23 am
Neon Breath wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 3:43 amThis. And especially in this case. I really don't think the video helped Plasmonic. Still curious to hear and try once the official and final product is ready. Until then, I'm neutral.
You cannot possibly know this, it is nothing more than your confirmation bias overruling logic and common sense. This is a video designed to sell people on the product, if it doesn't sound as good as it possibly can, then the people making the product must be idiots.
Might be both going overboard here.
Early demonstrations of the sound are early. Plus, and people all have to take this into account, sound is largely a personal taste thing. I love the sound of Pigments, some people do not. I'm not overly impressed with Massive X, others are. A 2 minute video will not show you the possibilities of a synth, and if Brian is matching at all his flexibility with Absynth, with almost 20 years more experience, then this will be a great synth. We will see, but I'm willing to bite. Loved Absynth, still love some things about it like the envelopes etc.

@Bones : in 2 days: 50% goal : not so bad :)
And it sounds great for me!
If you wait for big moog bass with a waveguide synthesis engine, this product is not for you. ( 2 osc and a ladder filter could normally be able to deliver big moog bass but I think, it's not the goal of a synth like that). Let's wait for the final release.
Best
YY

can the gui animations be turned off?

machinesworking wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 5:46 am
zvenx wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 3:57 am i too am not a fan of the GUI, but I find it very reminiscent of Absynth so I am going to guess that is indeed the GUI.
rsp
Even the GUI is in progress. Everyone should look at the information given on the websites before jumping to conclusions.

States Prototype under the picture of the GUI. and this on the website.
Plasmonic is currently under development, so features are continuously being added and improved. Please note that we are open to suggestions!
So, here is my suggestion: Please take time to create a proper GUI. I, for once, would never buy/use something looking like this. As some already said - it looks like a spreadsheet, which is as far from an inspiring musical instrument as one can get.
Fernando (FMR)

fmr wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 4:03 pm So, here is my suggestion: Please take time to create a proper GUI. I, for once, would never buy/use something looking like this. As some already said - it looks like a spreadsheet, which is as far from an inspiring musical instrument as one can get.
Again, to me the biggest issues I have with GUI's have nothing to do with whether it's Skeuomorphic or flat and dull, it's whether the space is wasted, buttons and sliders are various sizes, there are hidden hard to reach functions etc. etc.
It's plain, looks like a Max MSP patch, and again it's probably going to look different than that at launch, considering the word prototype and the strong reaction here.

machinesworking wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 6:55 pm It's plain, looks like a Max MSP patch, and again it's probably going to look different than that at launch, considering the word prototype and the strong reaction here.
I don't know which Max/MSP patches you are referring, but even there I'm used to much better looking GUIs. This is like looking at an Excel file :hihi:

And I wouldn't call Max/MSP patches as a paradigm in what concerns GUIs either :scared:

I really hope the final version looks different. Even the first version of Absynth looked much better (as long as I remember).
Fernando (FMR)

Crowd funding/begging never sounded like good news to me. I won't bite until the product is officially finished, polished and delivered.

Neon Breath wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 6:06 am Crowd funding/begging never sounded like good news to me. I won't bite until the product is officially finished, polished and delivered.
Again the crowdfunding part is just Brian being a weirdo. It's a way to presell, that's all. It's being released no matter what. IMO it looks like he abruptly was allowed out of his contract with NI, and he's a programmer not a salesman, one of the reasons he signed up with NI in the first place I bet.

This guy wrote Absynth in 2000. I see no reason to be afraid this won't be a good softsynth. I basically used Zebra 2 and Absynth on all my projects for years and years. I have no doubt that certain people release good products and Brian Clevinger is one of them.

This all makes me wonder what happened to Efflam Le Bivic (AKA Mokafix). He's a crazy good programmer, but I remember he had to abandon his projects. I wonder how he is doing today and whether he will be going back to his projects someday?
Little Black Dog - 2008-Present

Efflam le bivic is doing gui design at native instruments (reaktor blocks etc...)
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

^^^ nice. sounds rich, organic.

dayjob wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:11 pm ^^^ nice. sounds rich, organic.
indeed ...

The focus seems to be pretty much similar to Absynth – meandering, atmospheric, 'cinematic' (this most over-used label). I think I'm already pretty well covered if i need this kind of stuff – Absynth (!), Padshop 2, Soniccouture's Geosonics and Haunted spaces, etc.
I'll hold my fire until there's a demo.
If it were easy, anybody could do it!

Return to “Instruments”