what's my chances?

Official support for: u-he.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

teilo wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:37 am
Elektronisch wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 6:22 am
teilo wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:55 pm
Dasheesh wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 1:51 amyeah, Diva is for lush sounding unison poly voices. it's a cleaner synth made for the edm crowd.
Umm... Are you sure you even know what Diva is?

Unison poly voices? Huh? While it can do unison using voice stacking, it's rather limited, CPU intensive, and not what people buy Diva for.

And while I'm sure there is some use of Diva in EDM, you are so far off the mark it's hard to know how to respond. Diva is about the last synth I would associate with EDM.
You are also far off the mark since none of you know what really people use.

Successful producers EDM or Not EDM use what they have in their disposal and what works at that time it may be Diva or a recorded broken door handle. That is a fact.

No need to put tags on synths for what purpose they are made. 1 purpose is clear - to make music.
But that is not what you said. What you said was "Diva is for lush sounding unison poly voices. it's a cleaner synth made for the edm crowd." Both of those things are SMDH wrong.
??? i did not said that at all :lol:

Elektronisch wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 7:45 am
teilo wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:37 am
Elektronisch wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 6:22 am
teilo wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:55 pm
Dasheesh wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 1:51 amyeah, Diva is for lush sounding unison poly voices. it's a cleaner synth made for the edm crowd.
Umm... Are you sure you even know what Diva is?

Unison poly voices? Huh? While it can do unison using voice stacking, it's rather limited, CPU intensive, and not what people buy Diva for.

And while I'm sure there is some use of Diva in EDM, you are so far off the mark it's hard to know how to respond. Diva is about the last synth I would associate with EDM.
You are also far off the mark since none of you know what really people use.

Successful producers EDM or Not EDM use what they have in their disposal and what works at that time it may be Diva or a recorded broken door handle. That is a fact.

No need to put tags on synths for what purpose they are made. 1 purpose is clear - to make music.
But that is not what you said. What you said was "Diva is for lush sounding unison poly voices. it's a cleaner synth made for the edm crowd." Both of those things are SMDH wrong.
??? i did not said that at all :lol:
LOL. I got lost in the chain. Thought I was talking to Dasheesh.

Wouldnt it be more fair to say that Hive was made for the EDM crowd and Diva was for the older established crowd? I use both, but just saying haha.

In any case, Urs can correct me if I'm wrong, but I dont think Repro was made to appeal to any crowd. He simply grew up with the synth, enjoyed it, and wanted to make it a plugin.

Shiek927 wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 3:04 am Wouldnt it be more fair to say that Hive was made for the EDM crowd and Diva was for the older established crowd? I use both, but just saying haha.

In any case, Urs can correct me if I'm wrong, but I dont think Repro was made to appeal to any crowd. He simply grew up with the synth, enjoyed it, and wanted to make it a plugin.
It would be fair to say Diva was made to mimic analogue synthesizers and Hive to be a subtractive one page layout low CPU synthesizer.

Shiek927 wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 3:04 am In any case, Urs can correct me if I'm wrong, but I dont think Repro was made to appeal to any crowd. He simply grew up with the synth, enjoyed it, and wanted to make it a plugin.
I'm pretty sure Urs doesn't just decide stuff like that, I'm sure he does what every business person would do, and do a lengthy analysis on what product they should bring out next.
:borg:

V0RT3X wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 5:15 amI'm pretty sure Urs doesn't just decide stuff like that, I'm sure he does what every business person would do, and do a lengthy analysis on what product they should bring out next.
I don't do lengthy market analysis. All products except Hive 1.0 are based on what I (or another) developer *wanted* to do. Lucky for us it either coincided with people's desires, or maybe there's simply something in our kind of dedication that you can't get from the dictate of common product development strategies.

Hive 1.0 was an exception because it was based on a different kind of premise: Grumped out from moping users, we blatantly wanted to show that we can do CPU friendly synths. It seemed logical to focus this project on the synths our stuff was frequently compared to at the time. The thing that made it appealing to me was the challenge to make it sound objectively better than the immediate competition from back then. So it runs the same type of algorithm (but zero delay feedback in the filters) as them, oversampled at twice the sample rate with the same or smaller CPU footprint. Hence, while ACE, Bazille, Diva, Repro, Zebra and the effects came about as "let's do this kind of thing", Hive came about as "let's see if we can do this even if the concept isn't our cup fo tea". It was solely a technical challenge, not necessarily a labour of love in all aspects. Which bugged me.

Mind you, this totally changed with Hive 2.0. There's excessive joy in sneaking a Maths clone into it, as are the various other statements against the mainstream. Hive 2.0 is the opposite of bland, we turned it into a synth that has more modular guts than most modular softsynths have. Again, sales figures don't lie, it was good decision - even though it's probably the opposite of what a proper market research would have suggested.

That said,
Dasheesh wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 3:12 am can i get cs30 built into repro like diva style? what's the chances?
I don't feel that concept.

The CS-30 has a much more complex architecture. It would "own" the Pro part. I always thought it would be good to do a dual CS-30 which would emerge into a superset of a CS-80 with a much more modular routing. But even that doesn't really trigger me.

But all three Cats in one plugin with Catstick facilities and per-voice FX and modular routing does! :)

EvilDragon wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 7:56 am But all three Cats in one plugin with Catstick facilities and per-voice FX and modular routing does! :)
Hehehe, sure, if I ever feel like going through the ordeal of modelling an analogue synth in software.

:(

Chances are not too bad. It's about three years of work on other projects until the question will come up.

(disadvantage of not doing market research: I underestimated the desire for polyphony, which required us to do Repro-5 instead of the Cat back then when I had the time set aside to do this)

Helluva wait. But yeah, nothing compared to Z3. :hihi:

Urs wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 8:19 am (disadvantage of not doing market research: I underestimated the desire for polyphony, which required us to do Repro-5 instead of the Cat back then when I had the time set aside to do this)
Well, I'm very happy you didn't do market research.
I really love Repro-5. :love:

Well, however these came about, I'm very glad to have both Hive 2 and Repro-5. I'm still figuring out what they mean to me, for use in my music. Though, no matter what, they're both very stimulating to play/play with--intellectually, sonically, and more. This alone is worth a lot, as I need experience with synthesizers.
So, many thanks for what madness/divinity led to them! :)

The real question is: will you build a CS80 synth before Behringer does? B/c someone is going to get that market and it’s big.

Return to “u-he”