Phase Plant... Thoughts?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Phase Plant

recursive one wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:04 am
GRUMP wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 10:55 am Audio Demos are Marketing and Marketing should be secondary if you are looking for Tools that help you do what you want to.
Thning is that I already have all the tools I can imagine (like many I guess).

So I need to hear something that would make me say "wow, this sounds great, I can't do that with the tools I already have, or at least it wouldn't sound that great". If I don't hear any such example most probably I will never download the demo (and I definitely won't if it's time-limited - worst kind of demos ever).
I know what you mean. That is important. But I´d recommend to get a Feel yourself if you really want to make Sound Design in the End. Otherwise you´ll end up with the Companys that have or pay the best Designers.

But ... you can not really understand and get a Feeling for those "Mega Synths". "AllandEverythingInOne" is not really the Thing I am looking for anyway.

As I always say - be it your Food or your Softsynth: consider the Company, consider their Policy, compare your Alternatives.

Question: How about Format Compatibility? Import/Export? That Problem is an important Topic, too.

SLiC wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:11 am
GRUMP wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 10:55 am If you are looking for Presets you should consider Triton or Omnisphere. Phaseplant seems to be made for Inventors.
If PP is made for Inventors (I think all synths are made for inventors!), can I just assume that no one has yet mastered it and that is why the existing pre-sets just sounds like most of the other modular VST....technically PP may be able to something different by letting X modulate Y etc, but why can't I just have a pre-set to 'hear' why that 'unique' feature is a good thing?

You are right mentioning Zebra, I haven't ''heard'' anything that I can't do with Zebra so far when making my own sounds with the 1.8 demo...But then Zebra is always hard to better, it does most things very well!
For sure it does. The question is "how" ;-)

The Demo contained some OldSchool Sounds that are really interesting. Out of Touch for the EDM-Era-Synths. But as I have asked already: you never know how much of it is Sampling Magic?

GRUMP wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:18 am
SLiC wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:11 am
GRUMP wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 10:55 am If you are looking for Presets you should consider Triton or Omnisphere. Phaseplant seems to be made for Inventors.
If PP is made for Inventors (I think all synths are made for inventors!), can I just assume that no one has yet mastered it and that is why the existing pre-sets just sounds like most of the other modular VST....technically PP may be able to something different by letting X modulate Y etc, but why can't I just have a pre-set to 'hear' why that 'unique' feature is a good thing?

You are right mentioning Zebra, I haven't ''heard'' anything that I can't do with Zebra so far when making my own sounds with the 1.8 demo...But then Zebra is always hard to better, it does most things very well!
For sure it does. The question is "how" ;-) I´m a little bit grumpy on the ZEB at the Moment. "Brilliance" and "Softness" are hard to find and I really dislike the Mass of "unpredictable" Methods that you can´t really get a Feeling for. You must be really patient with ZEB. I came to the Conclusion that I better consider and use others in most of the Cases I am busy with.

The Demo contained some OldSchool Sounds that are really interesting. Out of Touch for the EDM-Era-Synths. But as I have asked already: you never know how much of it is Sampling Magic?

GRUMP wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:05 am ...
I was interested first, but after reading about the FX Section, "Snapins" and those different Packs I quickly realized, that this Tool does absolutely not match my Requirements and the Companys Policy is not really trustworthy.
Couldn't agree more.
Pluginboutique has PP and "Toolbox FREE" on sale for $99 but doesn't even mention in the description what comes in that free toolbox.

Below that offer on the same page there are links to some more packages and "Toolbox ULTIMATE" sells for a mere $499 ... that's more than what Omnisphere sells for these days so what on earth can we do with Phase Plant we can't already do with Omnisphere or any other super synth?

All I can suggest to those who are wondering why Phase Plant is so popular is to spend some time using it. If you can't fall in love with it like others have then fine, it's not for you... use whichever synth you prefer! No one is forcing anyone to use Phase Plant. :)
Last edited by StuSmith on Fri Jan 24, 2020 7:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

SLiC wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 10:37 am I went through the new presets (#new) and they are fine...
Those presets were curated before the update was released (I have some in there, hopefully the ones you thought were fine!) so they don't make use of the new stuff that has been added. I'm pretty sure there will be more to come now the update is out there.

What really makes this update special for me is the ability to put Multipass and Snap Heap into hosts as snapins. So you can build any multiband parallel FX module you can imagine and place that right in Phase Plant's FX lanes to be modulated with everything else and/or used per voice, or linked up with other controls into a macro for external modulation or live performance.

So you can now build in stuff like multiband saturation or compression or delay (anything), parallel reverbs, delays or other effects with modulated distortion or phaser, flanger, (anything). That's only the tiniest fraction of possibilities.

I'm hooked, anyway. Definitely one for those of us who love to build and design sounds from scratch with the purest building blocks. Not everyone's cup of tea but then, what is? I could never really get into Serum but plenty of people love that one. :-)

GRUMP wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:05 am Companys Policy is not really trustworthy.
How so?

atya wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:40 am that's more than what Omnisphere sells for these days so what on earth can we do with Phase Plant we can't already do with Omnisphere or any other super synth?
Short answer a whole lot!!! 8) ...
...Already and do not forget: We are still in the first months...
What was Omnisphere capable of in V1?? Playing thousands of (mostly) sample based esoteric presets...

Just to mention some parts:
- modulate anything with anything even at audio rate
- build your own polyphonic filter or any other sound mangeling structures including multiband processing ... and this is absolutely unique and not offered by any other plugin...
- advanced wavetable manipulation like no other offer in this manner... having the editor in a seperate window and being able to have reflected each change visble and hearable...
- having everything visible... every change everything you do is reflected
- being able to layer tons of stuff without having to switch thousand tabs
- having every snapin as normal plugin as well and this effects suite on it´s own justifies the price...

kiloHearts came quite a long way but now they proved what they are able to do...
Making such a complex beast so accessable and low on resources (as all their fx) is a masterpiece on it´s own and I am sure we will see a whole lot more...
As I said already: this is just the beginning... with this open architecture they can add new stuff with ease as the GUI is context sensitive... new oscillators, new filters, new fx... every new fx they release in future will be available in PhasePlant too... and will be polyphonic useable and able to be modulated at audio rate...

When PhasePlant will become close to ready (if we ever reach such a point) the term "Supersynth" will need a new definition...

A big :tu: to you guys @ kilohearts... this was really great work!!

atya wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:40 am
GRUMP wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:05 am ...
I was interested first, but after reading about the FX Section, "Snapins" and those different Packs I quickly realized, that this Tool does absolutely not match my Requirements and the Companys Policy is not really trustworthy.
Couldn't agree more.
Pluginboutique has PP and "Toolbox FREE" on sale for $99 but doesn't even mention in the description what comes in that free toolbox.

Below that offer on the same page there are links to some more packages and "Toolbox ULTIMATE" sells for a mere $499 ... that's more than what Omnisphere sells for these days so what on earth can we do with Phase Plant we can't already do with Omnisphere or any other super synth?
PB :hihi: :hihi: :hihi: But I mean we should recognize that even OmniS is not made for everyboby. Many Youngsters want bubbly Blonks and other crazy Experiments today. They should better buy Ableton than Cubase...

And Spectransonics Policy is not very "open" either. I don´t know. I have just realized that I should rethink Budgets. Marketing is maybe more important than Content :/ I won´t care, we´ll see!

Trancit wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:21 pm ...and will be polyphonic useable and able to be modulated at audio rate...
For the record, I don't think *everything* can be modulated at audio rate just yet... I think it's currently just anything in the generator section. Although there are still loads of things I'm discovering in this synth... :)

Trancit wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:21 pm
atya wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:40 am that's more than what Omnisphere sells for these days so what on earth can we do with Phase Plant we can't already do with Omnisphere or any other super synth?
- [...] or any other sound mangeling structures including multiband processing ... and this is absolutely unique and not offered by any other plugin...
Thanks for the Info. Thumbs up for that.

Do you have multiple MB Outputs and Connectivity?
Which Options do you have for the Bands?

StuSmith wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:12 pm
GRUMP wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:05 am Companys Policy is not really trustworthy.
How so?
As I already said: Snapins - and to valid Info if I can use my VSTs. I read that it´s possible, but didn´t find a Confirmation in the Manual. Got grumpy and dumped it. Impression: Unserious Toybox Marketing Bla.

Trancit wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:21 pm
Short answer a whole lot!!! 8) ...
...Already and do not forget: We are still in the first months...
What was Omnisphere capable of in V1?? Playing thousands of (mostly) sample based esoteric presets...
Crafted by Eric Persing [...] and other Rocket Scientists from Mars :roll:

Trancit wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:21 pm - modulate anything with anything even at audio rate
Dune3 can do that. TBH, it doesn't always sound good but here we have it - anything can be modulated at audio rate.
Trancit wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:21 pm - build your own polyphonic filter or any other sound mangeling structures including multiband processing ... and this is absolutely unique and not offered by any other plugin...
Could you give some examples of actual musical use of that?
Trancit wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:21 pm - advanced wavetable manipulation like no other offer in this manner... having the editor in a seperate window and being able to have reflected each change visble and hearable...
How is it different from Serum or Dune3? What is so "advanced" about it?
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

GRUMP wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:38 pm
StuSmith wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:12 pm
How so?
As I already said: Snapins - and to valid Info if I can use my VSTs. I read that it´s possible, but didn´t find a Confirmation in the Manual. Got grumpy and dumped it. Impression: Unserious Toybox Marketing Bla.
I don't really understand how what you're saying means the company's policy is untrustworthy... maybe this is the wrong word, they're not up to anything dodgy. But ok. It's not the synth for you. That's fair enough. :D

Return to “Instruments”