Waves Ovox - what do you think of it?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

noiseboyuk wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 4:28 pm
burnt circuit wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 3:36 pmCheck any working audio professionals file folder and you will find Waves plugins that they've been using for decades and still using.
That's no longer true in my experience. 10 years ago every post facility was using Waves. I've now used several that don't, and in conversation its Waves Central that is typically the reason they've ditched it, finding other easier / better alternatives. Others do still use their v8 ilok or maybe v9 versions.

Not that any of this will convince anyone - Waves seems to be a subject where trying to have a nuanced or balanced view in KVR is essentially impossible. burnt circuit shouts and rants wildly at anyone who ever has encountered an issue as pure ameteur incompetance on their part while every single professional in the known universe loves them exclusively, while many others say that Waves haven't made even a passably good plugin since 1876. C'est la KVR.
I'm not sure who you've polled, but Waves plugins have been the staple in many professional studios around the world for decades and continue to do so. Just because the audio marketplace is filled with hobbyists and amateurs with opinions on brand flavors doesn't make it any less true.

Trust me when I say post-production, tv, film and the music industry are dominated by Waves plugins. And with the $29 price tag, this also results in tons of bedroom producers who use Waves plugins.

It's really hard for the competition to compete in 2020, other then hate mail and ignorant rumors.
It's not the quality of audio, it's the quality of production that matters.

I haven’t tried Ovix but I think the Waves dbx 160 sounds really good, or at least is really good at what it does. It GUI’s though are terrible, glitchy.

perpetual3 wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 4:14 pm I haven’t tried Ovix but I think the Waves dbx 160 sounds really good, or at least is really good at what it does. It GUI’s though are terrible, glitchy.
Waves dbx 160 is a classic compressor emulation and ovox is a synth/vocoder.

I don’t understand your comment at all

Ploki wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 4:32 pm
perpetual3 wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 4:14 pm I haven’t tried Ovix but I think the Waves dbx 160 sounds really good, or at least is really good at what it does. It GUI’s though are terrible, glitchy.
Waves dbx 160 is a classic compressor emulation and ovox is a synth/vocoder.

I don’t understand your comment at all
This was written above: “ Waves haven't made even a passably good plugin since 1876. ”

Still don’t understand my comment?

perpetual3 wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 4:49 pm

This was written above: “ Waves haven't made even a passably good plugin since 1876. ”

Still don’t understand my comment?
it was written on the previous page and there were a couple of comments after it tho, i'd probably understand if you quoted the comment you were referring to

I've been testing a little bit with Ovox today and I have to say I'm really liking it. I also own VocalSynth2 and while I can't really sayyet if there are any big differences in terms of sound quality there are some big differences in terms of workflow and possibilities.

I'm really enjoying the automation options in Ovox, the possibility to assign the key for scales and chords to the effects and modulations so everything matches the harmony of your song as well as the possibility to adapt them rhythmically with the assignment of LFO's or sequences to any parameter including the effects bank.

I think I'll be purchasing this one as soon as the demo ends in 7 days because it's a tool I can really make use of and start getting creative right away.

Anyways, this doesn't mean I'll stop using VocalSynth2 depending on what I need or that Ovox is a plugin that anyone should have, but for me and my personal needs I have to say this is a great tool and I don't know any other plugin that can help me in the same way.

Thanks for the balanced review, i'm actually considering to demo it now.

you can add key to VocalSynth too, and you can easily add chords when you load it as MIDI-controlled fx. Just copy over existing harmonies to the VS track.
Can Ovox be loaded as a midi controlled FX?

It's not the quality of audio, it's the quality of production that matters.

I didn't plan on getting Ovox because I already have VocalSynth2 and really like it, but then I started demoing Ovox and realized it's capable of much different things. Quite unique. Here's a choir sound I started messing with, unprocessed and then run through Ovox, triggered with an external midi track:

https://soundcloud.com/stochasticsound/ ... oir-test-1

Ploki wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 9:46 am Thanks for the balanced review, i'm actually considering to demo it now.

you can add key to VocalSynth too, and you can easily add chords when you load it as MIDI-controlled fx. Just copy over existing harmonies to the VS track.
Can Ovox be loaded as a midi controlled FX?
Yeah, I didn't know that VocalSynth2 also can do that and I'm very glad it does. I think I will be using both of them on a regular basis from now on.

Do you mean to load Ovox and control the FX with midi notes or a midi graphic editor instead of the included LFO's? I didn't try that but I can do and tell if it's possible

BTW, Kickbackcouture did a video comparison between VocalSynth2 and Ovox, just a neutral thing showing which features they share and which ones are special to each of this synth. She doesn't do too much in depth but is an informative overview in any case

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YqAYuPXo-wU

evo2slo wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 6:09 pm I didn't plan on getting Ovox because I already have VocalSynth2 and really like it, but then I started demoing Ovox and realized it's capable of much different things. Quite unique. Here's a choir sound I started messing with, unprocessed and then run through Ovox, triggered with an external midi track:

https://soundcloud.com/stochasticsound/ ... oir-test-1
Nice demo, one of the things I'm liking of Ovox is how you can convert singing lines into rhythmical elements thanks to the sequencer and the arp

I used it for many years love it but it's been replaced by MJUC. If you get the chance, try to get as close to Waves as possible with MJUC's VCA I find it can get there no sweat. The stereo image and saturation is just so juicy compared to Waves IMO.

Ovox seems like a good product for what it does. The exemples in the video sounded great. It's sad that I just don't wont to spend an afternoon fixing probable issues with the installation.
MXLinux21, 16 Gig RAM, Intel i7 Quad 3.9, Reaper 6.42, Behringer 204HD or Win7 Steinberg MR816x

Boone777 wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 12:43 am
I used it for many years love it but it's been replaced by MJUC. If you get the chance, try to get as close to Waves as possible with MJUC's VCA I find it can get there no sweat. The stereo image and saturation is just so juicy compared to Waves IMO.

Ovox seems like a good product for what it does. The exemples in the video sounded great. It's sad that I just don't wont to spend an afternoon fixing probable issues with the installation.
Will mosdef check out MJUC.

Kickback Couture's video completely omits a core difference between VocalSynth 2 and Ovox. She never turns up the Synth signal in Ovox!

Ovox can process vocals very well but where it shines is using vocals to guide another signal. It's got built-in synth sounds but you can also feed it external input via sidechain. It'll make it follow the vocals, and you can also feed it MIDI to re-pitch both, create harmonies, whatever. So you can sing something expressive then have your preferred instrument resynthesized to follow it, not just pitch-wise but in rhythm as well. It helps to read the manual for this one.

The workflow in Ovox is very thoughtful. Whoever they hired to do the industrial design on their latest plugins is doing a great job. Berzerk is a joy to work with too.

yellowmix wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 7:27 am Kickback Couture's video completely omits a core difference between VocalSynth 2 and Ovox. She never turns up the Synth signal in Ovox!

Ovox can process vocals very well but where it shines is using vocals to guide another signal. It's got built-in synth sounds but you can also feed it external input via sidechain. It'll make it follow the vocals, and you can also feed it MIDI to re-pitch both, create harmonies, whatever. So you can sing something expressive then have your preferred instrument resynthesized to follow it, not just pitch-wise but in rhythm as well. It helps to read the manual for this one.

The workflow in Ovox is very thoughtful. Whoever they hired to do the industrial design on their latest plugins is doing a great job. Berzerk is a joy to work with too.
Yes, the video is a light overview and you're right, the synth feature is a very interesting one that seems not to get much attention on reviews and demos. I am also liking the UI a lot and the many possibilities this plugin offers.

I think I haven't seen any review showing that you can actually use one of your own library synths or vst instruments with Ovox, I saw the option in the demo this weekend but didn't have enough time to test that feature. Have you tried it out?

Return to “Effects”