Way to use regular automation for pitch bend?

Discussion about: tracktion.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Is there a way to use automation for pitch bends? I don't really like using the system within clips. In general, I'd like to automate Midi CC parameters outside of the system in clips. And I can't seem to learn an option, since a lot of synths don't have visible pitch bend parameters that I can find.

Most synths are unlikely to work like this as they'll support multiple MIDI channels and may have other things affecting internal pitch bend parameters (like modulation sources etc.). For a 16 channel synth to support a parameter based pitch-bend they'd need 16 pitch-bend parameters etc.

What is it you don't like about MIDI pitch bend? Maybe there's another workflow that would suit you?

The only other alternative that I can think of is to find a MIDI plugin that turns parameter automation in to CC messages. I can't see this being any easier to use than MIDI CC in the MIDI editor though...

Not quite exactly the same thing, but depending on what you are going for, you could try adding the Pitch Shifter plugin (standard with Waveform) or an equivalent plugin to the track, after the instrument, and automating the pitch parameter on that.

You may or may not like the results from doing that...

I actually found a plugin that allows you to convert automation into midi cc (Reacontrol) but it kept causing crashes.

I don't necessarily have a rational reason to dislike the pitch bend system. But you have to make sure the midi clip returns to +0% to avoid the midi glitch, I'm not a huge fan of using the midi tools, I don't like having to zoom for in to get the level of detail/smoothness I want, etc. Basically I wish it looked like regular automation does, and I could pitch bend by making 3 points and adjusting a curve.

That said, this is completely a matter of weird personal preference. I don't think the current system is objectively bad, and I should probably just get over myself and start using it.

I'm interested in this too and have been searching a for an efficient way to do this. Editing bezier curves is a lot better than drawing tiny bars for pitch/modwheel in the MIDI Clip Editor (Reaper has implemented this feature in version 6). Is there a more efficient and precise way to automate the pitch wheel in the normal 'automation tracks'. I'm aware of ReaControlMIDI (I am a Reaper user too) but wanted to know if Waveform natively supports some better method.

I actually have been using Kilohearts Phase Plant as my main synth, and it exposes pitch bend as an automatable parameter. Haven't found any way to do it with synths that don't yet. And yeah, automation is still much better than the midi clip controller section.

Return to “Tracktion”