Waves Ovox - what do you think of it?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Ploki wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 9:46 am Thanks for the balanced review, i'm actually considering to demo it now.

you can add key to VocalSynth too, and you can easily add chords when you load it as MIDI-controlled fx. Just copy over existing harmonies to the VS track.
Can Ovox be loaded as a midi controlled FX?
Not sure what DAW you use but in Logic Pro X you can. It is under AU midi controlled Effects. You can then side chain audio into it.

noiseboyuk wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 4:28 pm Not that any of this will convince anyone - Waves seems to be a subject where trying to have a nuanced or balanced view in KVR is essentially impossible. burnt circuit shouts and rants wildly at anyone who ever has encountered an issue as pure ameteur incompetance on their part while every single professional in the known universe loves them exclusively, while many others say that Waves haven't made even a passably good plugin since 1876. C'est la KVR.
At some point "burnt circuit" is going to change-up their user name picking strategy - it was only a matter of time before they moved from posting videos to full-on flame mode in any Waves-related threads. They got banned as "synth guru" and a bunch of other names with a similar format. I expect they'll get banned again sometime soon.

oonabe wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 11:49 am I think I haven't seen any review showing that you can actually use one of your own library synths or vst instruments with Ovox, I saw the option in the demo this weekend but didn't have enough time to test that feature. Have you tried it out?
Yup. The internal resynthesis is pretty flexible and you get two oscillators in Ovox 1 and 2, plus the note mapping and other features. External input lets you set a guitar, drums, whatever, as carrier. While it is fundamentally vocoding the controls provided let you target the most relevant aspects quickly for a fast and fun workflow. It can separate the sibilance which is really useful and sets it apart from traditional vocoding.

External MIDI is really good for gating no matter what you're doing.

It's not the quality of audio, it's the quality of production that matters.

great price.. $69 to buy new.. or $88 to upgrade to the bundle.. which only gives me OVOX, yep, I have every other product in the bundle already. How does that make sense? A perfect example of why I am trying to wean myself off waves in 2020. Had enough.
:roll:
Windows 10 Pro|Intel 9960X @ 4.4 GHZ|128GB Corsair|16TB SSD|AMD 5700XT|Gigabyte Designare|Avid HDX x2|Antelope Orion 32HD x2|Pro Tools 2019.12

Amelia70 wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 2:09 am great price.. $69 to buy new.. or $88 to upgrade to the bundle.. which only gives me OVOX, yep, I have every other product in the bundle already. How does that make sense? A perfect example of why I am trying to wean myself off waves in 2020. Had enough.
Strange. I did the upgrade to the bundle and got 3 new products (Ovox, BassSlapper, Morphoder) for $31. All the others I had already.

As far as I know, it depends if your WUP is already up to date and if you already used certain products to upgrade to other bundles etc. If unsure, sent them an email.
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

Aloysius wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:48 am As far as I know, it depends if your WUP is already up to date and if you already used certain products to upgrade to other bundles etc. If unsure, sent them an email.
You are right. My WUP was active for all already installed products. I think this makes the difference.

It also depends on whether some of the plugins you'd get from an upgrade to Inspire are in bundles that are outside of that direct upgrade path - I think only Piano and Keys is upgradeable to Inspire. Morphoder appears in quite a few of the regular mixing bundles and things like Element turn up in some of the speciality bundles as well as Mercury that don't qualify for the same upgrade path, so you basically wind up buying those plugins again as part of the upgrade to Inspire.

yellowmix wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 11:14 pm
oonabe wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 11:49 am I think I haven't seen any review showing that you can actually use one of your own library synths or vst instruments with Ovox, I saw the option in the demo this weekend but didn't have enough time to test that feature. Have you tried it out?
Yup. The internal resynthesis is pretty flexible and you get two oscillators in Ovox 1 and 2, plus the note mapping and other features. External input lets you set a guitar, drums, whatever, as carrier. While it is fundamentally vocoding the controls provided let you target the most relevant aspects quickly for a fast and fun workflow. It can separate the sibilance which is really useful and sets it apart from traditional vocoding.

External MIDI is really good for gating no matter what you're doing.
I will definitely have to try that as soon as I can, I would love to use my own synths or maybe even other libraries with Ovox, could be an interesting source for inspiration

emulator01 wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:42 am
Amelia70 wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 2:09 am great price.. $69 to buy new.. or $88 to upgrade to the bundle.. which only gives me OVOX, yep, I have every other product in the bundle already. How does that make sense? A perfect example of why I am trying to wean myself off waves in 2020. Had enough.
Strange. I did the upgrade to the bundle and got 3 new products (Ovox, BassSlapper, Morphoder) for $31. All the others I had already.
I'm just going to buy it outright as I like it, from a reseller. Problem solved. Cheaper than the upgrade price and I get to keep all the other individual licenses in case I want to ditch some one day. I can't believe I am buying another waves plugin! My wup has expired on some of the items being used in the upgrade. So that might have been it.
Windows 10 Pro|Intel 9960X @ 4.4 GHZ|128GB Corsair|16TB SSD|AMD 5700XT|Gigabyte Designare|Avid HDX x2|Antelope Orion 32HD x2|Pro Tools 2019.12

It's not the quality of audio, it's the quality of production that matters.

Surprisingly imma gonna get it maybe tomorrow. If I'm not mistaken then you can take advantage of the latest Waves offer to to buy any 29$ plugin and get a second one free. As you can choose any other plugin this should be an option. Probably will choose BSS DPR-402 as 29$ plugin because this is one of the few Waves plugins still want. Not even because I need another limiter/compressor but this plugin is just so damn pretty that I'm just buying it for that reason alone. Not even sure If I will use it for anything else than looking at it. This must be the best plugin interface design ever conceived:

Now I only need to beg any of the resellers whether I can use my Waves voucher I have over from recent WUP instead of the one that you need for this offer. God damn I'm a greedbag. :(
No signature here!

robotmonkey wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 5:06 pm Surprisingly imma gonna get it maybe tomorrow. If I'm not mistaken then you can take advantage of the latest Waves offer to to buy any 29$ plugin and get a second one free. As you can choose any other plugin this should be an option. Probably will choose BSS DPR-402 as 29$ plugin because this is one of the few Waves plugins still want. Not even because I need another limiter/compressor but this plugin is just so damn pretty that I'm just buying it for that reason alone. Not even sure If I will use it for anything else than looking at it. This must be the best plugin interface design ever conceived:

Now I only need to beg any of the resellers whether I can use my Waves voucher I have over from recent WUP instead of the one that you need for this offer. God damn I'm a greedbag. :(
Yes, that should work, I purchased Ovox today and got additionally the Bass Rider plugin for $1 as I always have issues mixing the lower frequencies and it's one of the few plugins for $29 that gives me something I don't already have in a different way or from a different company

Here is an alternative to Ovox and VocalSynth2, for me it comes kind of late as I already own the other two and I don't think I need a third one, but maybe interesting for someone else...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eMSA566zK3k

Return to “Effects”