[Intro pricing extended] Available now: T-RackS Sunset Sound Studio Reverb

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
T-RackS Sunset Sound Studio Reverb

Peter - IK Multimedia wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 9:36 pm
kj.metissage wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 8:29 pm
Peter - IK Multimedia wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 3:44 pm Actually it is more than just IRs (and see below for how even a captured IR can be better or worse depending the way the job is done). What's not as clear as I had thought in the available information is this: We also modeled the Sunset Sound preamps (API for studio 1&3 and Neve for studio 2) for use in T-RackS Sunset Sound Studio Reverb so it is not "just an IR". Hope that clarifies further.
So maybe we will see plugin versions of those modeled preamps. Let's hope so.

Sunset Preamps, yay! 8)
Especially since at least one of the consoles is modified...
Squids wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 8:32 amthe consoles (yes a modified API and vintage Neve... and yes I've personally requested mic pre models to be T-RackS singles on their own so hopefully one day they will!)
Fingers crossed then! :hyper:

AC222 wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 3:56 am I think that's the same ISO booth that Edward Van Halen tracked some of his legendary tunes :clap:
It absolutely is. So if you're interested in that sound (even just as a personal challenge/workshop type of deal) you can put your guitar in that ISO room and then use the chamber panned to the other side as was that classic EVH sound. Ross mentions this in his interview, of course, as it is in his vernacular/wheelhouse.

Squids wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 8:32 am ... Yes, it's much more than just impulse responses, but, as mentioned even that part alone is cool. This is a dedicated software to recreating the ambiences of the studio so there's the sound of the mics they use, the consoles (yes a modified API and vintage Neve... and yes I've personally requested mic pre models to be T-RackS singles on their own so hopefully one day they will!) and also some proprietary aspects to the development that aren't always shared publicly.
No, it's not. Those are generic impulse responses (generic, as in "technologically" using standard IR technology).

You guys sampled the whole signal path: So what? Every IR library has some kind of signal path (meaning: there has to be a microphone to sample the impulse and the signal has to get on a medium somehow, usually through a console, preamp or some kind of audio interface - nothing special about that at all).

IKM wants 150 bucks for 7 (or 12?) impulse responses with added 3D gallery on the GUI - are you guys even serious? No matter how hard you try, there is no reasonable way to justify this scam!

There are plenty of products and IR collections out there that offer orders of magnitude more for free or a fraction of the price that IKM charges! I could list some good free and inexpensive alternatives if you want me to!

Plus IKM forces users to download and install their crappy malware download authorization center or whatever it's called, which requires you to download 2 gigabytes of data for one 20mb plugin!

By the way: I'm not even saying that the quality of those 7 impulse responses is bad, but as good as they may be, it's just not plausible to charge 150 bucks for 7 sampled impulses! But do as you like, in today's idiocracy I'm sure you will find plenty of happy victims for your scam!

Peter - IK Multimedia wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 5:54 pm
AC222 wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 3:56 am I think that's the same ISO booth that Edward Van Halen tracked some of his legendary tunes :clap:
It absolutely is. So if you're interested in that sound (even just as a personal challenge/workshop type of deal) you can put your guitar in that ISO room and then use the chamber panned to the other side as was that classic EVH sound. Ross mentions this in his interview, of course, as it is in his vernacular/wheelhouse.
Thank you Peter for your level of insights and professional. We love you! That sounds really encouraging and at the very least worth a look. Amazing knowledge drop on the setup you described. Go Peter, IK, Sunset, and EVH!!!!

Izak Synthiemental wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 6:38 pmIKM wants 150 bucks for 7 (or 12?) impulse responses with added 3D gallery on the GUI - are you guys even serious? No matter how hard you try, there is no reasonable way to justify this scam!

By the way: I'm not even saying that the quality of those 7 impulse responses is bad, but as good as they may be, it's just not plausible to charge 150 bucks for 7 sampled impulses! But do as you like, in today's idiocracy I'm sure you will find plenty of happy victims for your scam!
I have you on ignore and I made the mistake of reading your post. Alas, now I have to reply.

Can we wait until it's released first? There are a lot of products on paper that sound like they are lacking in value but when you actually use them they turn out to amazing. Maybe this is one of them.

I think judging a company and a product based on a press release is pretty fn stupid. But YMMV. Now back to the ignore list.

plexuss wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 8:36 pm
Can we wait until it's released first? There are a lot of products on paper that sound like they are lacking in value but when you actually use them they turn out to amazing. ...
You sound irrational, in fact delusional. We have already established that in it's core this is nothing but seven twelve impulse responses with a pretty 3d gallery GUI that you pay for. There is no room for interpretation or in fact "hope" here - it's really not more than those SEVEN TWELVE short audio files of sampled room acoustics and mechanical reverb devices with a few corresponding visuals. :dog:

I have plenty of free impulses that cover the exact same ground perfectly fine. But hey, go for the scam and be that guy who allows manipulative promo talk to influence his decisionmaking. Objectively speaking, you would have to be a fool to buy this, but everybody "acts a fool" sometimes.

@Izak Synthiemental - I think you missed part of the thread. Please review my post as well as the post by Dave (Squids) where we explain why this is more than you claim. Also, if there is something you feel IK has done to you to feel you've been "scammed" I'd be happy to discuss it directly with you. As many here and elsewhere know I'm approachable, reasonable, and can assist or get your issues heard by the right people to get things taken care of. There's room in my PM inbox or my email inbox etc if you'd like to talk about something as it seems there might be more behind the negativity I'm seeing especially since you seem to have either missed or ignored posts that counter what you are stating.

AC222 wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 7:52 pm
Peter - IK Multimedia wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 5:54 pm
Thank you Peter for your level of insights and professional. We love you! That sounds really encouraging and at the very least worth a look. Amazing knowledge drop on the setup you described. Go Peter, IK, Sunset, and EVH!!!!
Thank you. I know that's not "the royal We" as you can see there are some who aren't fans in here, but I do appreciate the positive feedback and more so when it is toward some of the great music tools IK has been making lately (and over the past 20+ years). I have been using and helping people use these tools (and others) for far longer than I've worked with IK and enjoy being able to continue to help people online with these tools. Or, in short, thank you for the kind words.

Personally, I dont think its 12 impulses. It looks like 100's of impulses as you can move the screen in the middle of the gui that shows each room.

Maybe, and this is a a wild premature guess, IK took multiple impulses of a room and with each type of reverb in it and found a way to morph between those to give a directional effect similar to if you were in that room. It would be kind of like how Origami is except that only does positioning with 1 IR at a time.

That might justify the cost as its dealing with a specific studio with specific IRs that morph in specific room positions through specific reverbs going through specific mixing desks for specific rooms. Not saying any other reverbs dont so that, but damn IK makes it looks easy.

Maybe its a start. IK could be capturing IRs of more studios/etc and making it another product line that lives within T-Racks. But its just a foolish guess though.
I read more than post = I listen more than I talk

Peter - IK Multimedia wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 9:29 pm @Izak Synthiemental - I think you missed part of the thread. Please review my post as well as the post by Dave (Squids) where we explain why this is more than you claim. Also, if there is something you feel IK has done to you to feel you've been "scammed" I'd be happy to discuss it directly with you. As many here and elsewhere know I'm approachable, reasonable, and can assist or get your issues heard by the right people to get things taken care of. There's room in my PM inbox or my email inbox etc if you'd like to talk about something as it seems there might be more behind the negativity I'm seeing especially since you seem to have either missed or ignored posts that counter what you are stating.
I have to dissapoint you Pete, I did not miss anything. As I said: the fact that there were some preamps or consoles in the signal path of the sampled IRs or that you might add some algorithmic preamp emulation in the future, does not add any value to the reverb function as such. You also have been very vague, which I consider a deliberate tactic of promotional misinformation. Please specify what central features the reverb consists of other than the twelve impulse responses that you guys have sampled in some studio where Prince did record one record 20 years ago?

You shy away from stating clear facts and continue to make vague anouncements about some features that supposedly go beyond standard impulse responses, when in fact your product is just that: generic impulse response technology that only features twelve impulse response samples! :dog: That's just poor, but hey, people who want to waste their money should go for the scam.

You are willing to help? Than fix your malware download / authorization manager and stop wasting valuable bandwith and energy by forcing us to download 2 gigabytes of data for one 20 mb plugin!
Saukar30 wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 9:43 pm Personally, I dont think its 12 impulses. It looks like 100's of impulses as you can move the screen in the middle of the gui that shows each room.

Maybe, and this is a a wild premature guess, IK took multiple impulses of a room and with each type of reverb in it and found a way to morph between those to give a directional effect similar to if you were in that room. It would be kind of like how Origami is except that only does positioning with 1 IR at a time.
That's just a visual gimmick and not related to the sound shaping possibilties at all (see the previous comment by the guy who was involved in sampling this). Yes, it's hard to believe and we try to find all kinds of rational excuses, but this is really nothing more than those TWELVE repeat TWELVE impulses with a nice GUI!!! Absolutely generic convolution tech! The sampled rooms / devices might even sound great, but def not worth 150 or 250 bucks under any conceivable circumstance.

We've stated plenty of facts. I see the particular issue you have with IK, thank you for sharing and sorry that I didn't key in on that being your main issue the first time you mentioned it. I'm sorry that it has frustrated you to the point where you are trying to smear another IK product in the T-RackS family. Others can reference my posts and Dave's post that clearly show the value proposition of T-RackS Sunset Sound Studio Reverb (which again seems to make sense to most thread participants at Gearslutz as mentioned, with a concise and logical reply to the one person who thought it was "just an IR"). I see it isn't a value for you which is of course A-OK no matter if that's influenced by your anger over the issue you've mentioned twice in this thread or not.

I think that it's funny that when you give some people a fancy GUI and a few impulses that suddenly they feel that they have been transported to some magical and hallowed recording space...

It's quite interesting that through a combination of sight,sound and some fancy copy (aka smoke and mirrors) that they can convince themselves that they are really there :)

I agree with Izak that there is a bit of BS going down here,but IK are not the only ones dispensing their special pills and potions to the addicts who are desperate for their next fix :party:
No auto tune...

People keep trivializing the value and need for a "fancy gui".
These are difficult to implement, and in the current market,
such things are crucial to provide. A gui that facilitates successful
productions saves the pro money, and saves the hobbyist precious free time.

Take your U-haul down to so-cal, pull up at Sunset,
unload your SY-99 and Roland synths, your Marshal and Fender amps,
an EP or two, your personal drumkit, and get some roadies to unload
your B3 yada yada yada...then open your wallet very very wide,
and hope your manager actually got you an appointment. :hyper:

Then do some real-world comparison pricing. :dog:

Izak Synthiemental wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 6:38 pm Plus IKM forces users to download and install their crappy malware download authorization center or whatever it's called, which requires you to download 2 gigabytes of data for one 20mb plugin!
I've used the authorization manager in linux setups for years.
To me, it's a sign of solid programming when windows code
runs fine in linux-wine-reaper, and very handy when purchasing
with a Custom Shop, or getting serials for a new/different version of linux.
Still can't find that 2 gig you mention,
maybe it's a free microsoft feature? :wink:

I can't believe that people complain about an upcoming release. That is super superficial. Hey dummies, you don't have to buy it! You don't even have to look at it. World wide web is opening its legs just for you

Return to “Effects”