Korg releases Korg Triton VST

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
KORG Collection

musicdoc wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 6:08 am The M1 sample set being better than the Triton’s? :o

Ok... have you played either of them? Maybe if you’re looking for certain dated sounds from the 80’s but the Triton greatly expanded on everything the M1 could do.
I own the M1, hardware and software. Just listen to the M1 Shakuhachi sample. Or Gagaku, or crotales. (The list is endless.) Different universe. Triton looked great on paper but for me it does not have that magic presence of the M1. Sometimes less is more. Just my opinion.
Mac M2 Studio Ultra, UAD Apollo Quad, Neumann/Genelec monitors, Logic Pro X, Ableton

Yeah that shakuhachi sample is very compressed and lo-fi sounding (like all the M1 samples, in fact). Triton just sounds better, really.

Could you xplain how you loaded this VSP bank into Triton VST, with even the omniscient EvilDragon saying it can't be done I don't feel too dumb asking ;-))
Mac M2 Studio Ultra, UAD Apollo Quad, Neumann/Genelec monitors, Logic Pro X, Ableton

That's a soundbank done with the plugin, not the hardware. So of course it would work. Plugin just cannot import patches from hardware unit through sysex or Korg's own PCG format.

Yeah Triton was 48Khz sample rate etc etc but the point I'm trying to make is that the sounds chosen for the M1 were more original and charismatic. They may be technically a little less pristine but perversely I prefer them, that's all.

However, I'm open to being converted (to a higher sample rate, hehe). I'd like to become a fan of Triton, that's why I was asking about loading 3rd party stuff to explore the synth in depth and see if the factory banks don't do justice to the sample set.

EvilDragon wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 9:04 am That's a soundbank done with the plugin, not the hardware. So of course it would work. Plugin just cannot import patches from hardware unit through sysex or Korg's own PCG format.
pity

Well, there's 4000 sounds in there to explore, and it's very easy to make your own, too... 3rd party soundsets made for the plugin will definitely also start to show up...

If and when Korg opens up the import function of this synth, I feel like they will catch alot of slack from their factory sound set, from a certain demographic of users who don't actually create sounds.
What made the Triton king was its user banks. Until then, this is still a very capable synth. Open it up and explore. 😊🔓
INTERFACE: RME ADI-2/4 Pro/Antelope Orion Studio Synergy Core/BAE 1073 MPF Dual/Heritage Audio Successor+SYMPH EQ
SYNTHS: Korg Kronos X 88/Yamaha Montage M8x/Sequential Trigon 6/
Behringer DM12D/Pro-800

I'm with that demographic, tweak n jam that's me.

The synth has a mammoth database from yesterday, excluding that leaves a plugin on life-support from my point of view. And with Korg's record on Legacy updates don't hold yr breath for import functions

I wouldn't be so sure. Considering M1 and WS both import patches from their hardware brethren, same could still happen for Triton. But the main problem here is if those banks used custom samples... So right there it makes the whole thing a lot more complicated to add.

Why do people complain about that the sounds sound dated etc???

Yes they do, it's the entire point- it's supposed to sound like this 20 year old synthesizer/workstation.
And it does that very well, I have a Trition Studio still today (bought it 2002) and this VST sounds virtually identical as far as I can tell (I don't have all the expansion boards though, but only the orchestral expansion, CD-RW and the EXB-MOSS) that obviously this plugin lacks, which is too bad cause if it had the MOSS expansion I wouldn't hesitate to purchase it, but for now I rather hook up the real hardware if I ever feel for Triton sounds.

But hopefully Korg release a Z1 VST or even Radias in the future.

'Dated' is a weird word because the sounds on this thing tickles my ear much better than an endless sea of VST's that I've tried. We all have our unique tastes and the Triton sounds gorgeous to me.

Well I hope you're right eDragon coz some ppl have shelled out lots for this synth - I nearly did till I asked myself 'where's the Import?'

I get what you say bout custom samples tho', could be messy.

Analog velvet is still the best pad I heard. Golden strings is a great combi too. I had a triton rack for years. Missed those two patches. Very happy they released the plugin. Now if Roland would just make an xp30 plugin I would be happy. I used to use that combination for years - triton + xp30.

If we are talking about acoustic sounds than sure the Triton is dated. But considering the sample size of the acoustic stuff, it’s still pretty good.

On the other hand, if we are talking synth stuff, than it’s right up there with current stuff -after all, just think if all the current vsti’s imitating some synth of yesteryear.

But what I really like is that unlike many other sample based synths, the sounds are all there and don’t need to be loaded which means you can try out heaps of sounds without endlessly waiting for sounds to load. Try that on something like SampleTank or Omnisynth.
W11 i9-13900K, 64GB Cubase, UAD/Motu Monitor 8 front end and more plugins then I ever actually need :D

Return to “Instruments”