DrumComputer released!

Official support for: sugar-bytes.de
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Touch The Universe wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 9:44 pm Showing off what it can do at its best by talented artists would only be of benefit to them, no?

I was very impressed with the 90 sec intro, and the follow up videos were tame in comparison. Why not bring the big guns out and provide value on multiple fronts? They already took the time to pay these people for a demo, why not take it further.
A new vid was released on January 8th
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ICTqxr ... ORMcrQ_FCY
Amazon: why not use an alternative

:)

I mailed them on Wednesday and asked when the update will come :)

It's already released and on your downloads page...

gunnar wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 9:57 pm :)

I mailed them on Wednesday and asked when the update will come :)
Its out already

<iframe src="https://www.facebook.com/plugins/post.p ... &width=500" width="500" height="653" style="border:none;overflow:hidden" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowTransparency="true" allow="encrypted-media"></iframe>
We added an EQ, Analog Osc, Filter Types in the Resonator and Drag and Drop sample import. Many additional improvements now put DrumComputer to its perfect shape, make sure to try it out!
Amazon: why not use an alternative

you guys wanting deeper kicks have you tested the new version?

Well cant say I was complaining, but I just tried the Low Freq boost on the Kick, and it certinly brought a smile to my face.

1.1. News:
Resonator filter types
New resonator exciter
Analog osc (sine, triangle, saw, pwm)
2 band eq
Drag n drop sample import
Sequencer swing invert on bwd direction
Improvements and minor fixes

Even in the 1.1 update, It's still VERY difficult to make kicks that can stand on their own as a "main" kick sound in bass music tracks. Most kicks still sound wonky AF and not at all like a good "punchy" or "heavy" kick. I still need to use an entirely different tool (such as Kick2), or my sample library, to get a usable kick around which to build a project.

Maybe put out some factory presets of what Sugarbytes think are the best examples of DrumComputer making natural-sounding, heavy/punchy kicks that can take the centerpiece spot in typical dance music genres? Because I can't dial in anything even remotely resembling a "normal" kick sound that I'd actually gainstage an entire mix around.

Right now, DrumComputer is only something I'd use to make sounds for top loops. The sequencer is great--and I use it to sequence my kick/snare samples, but I can't really find anything *usable* for kick and snare *sounds* in DrumComputer itself.

Oh, and in the next update could you please please please make the Global pattern randomizer for the sequencer actually choose patterns that are appropriate for the selected instrument on each channel? Right now that Global randomizer chooses patterns that assume a kick is on channel 1, a snare is on channel 2, and so on. For example, if I re-map the drum types for each channel to something completely different than the default sounds, the Global randomizer will still put kick patterns on channel 1, snare patterns on channel 2, and so on.

Yokai wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 5:33 pm Even in the 1.1 update, It's still VERY difficult to make kicks that can stand on their own as a "main" kick sound in bass music tracks.
I kind of agree with you on that...... kind of.... but, I think we have just become more used to the idea of a heavily processed kick right up front. Drums based on synth architecture are constrained by whatever parameters that define them and will never sound just like a upfront layered kick. But what of it, it’s a sound machine and in the right hands and with a bit imagination anything will sound good, even an 808 :)

rejoice the imperfection and find happiness in the constraint.

40watt wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 9:39 pm
Yokai wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 5:33 pm Even in the 1.1 update, It's still VERY difficult to make kicks that can stand on their own as a "main" kick sound in bass music tracks.
I kind of agree with you on that...... kind of.... but, I think we have just become more used to the idea of a heavily processed kick right up front. Drums based on synth architecture are constrained by whatever parameters that define them and will never sound just like a upfront layered kick. But what of it, it’s a sound machine and in the right hands and with a bit imagination anything will sound good, even an 808 :)

rejoice the imperfection and find happiness in the constraint.
Maybe so! In which case my expectations are unrealistic. But that makes it even more important then to fix the global randomizer in the Sequencer section, so that I can simply use all 8 channels in DC for "top loop" sounds and take the unusable kicks and snares out of the mix entirely.

I'm happy to use DC as a "top loop machine" It's great for that. But not useful for real production kicks and snares, which are important cornerstone sounds in most electronic dance music genres.

i here you guys when you talk about the kick sounds.

my own perspective is that i love drumcomputer for what it can do.

i look for new sounds and want to be surprised and have loads of fun to play with it.

i think its just wonderful for being playful and have fun and come to new territories.

for me there is little attraction for clicking dots into a grid.

i have found a wonderful instrument with it, which now has even widened the sonic possibilities

Yeah, it's amazing for creating interesting (sounds and patterns) top loops. I basically mute channels 1, 2 and 5 (the kick, snare, and perc) and instead route the MIDI output from those sequencer lanes into the two kicks and the snare in XO. (The perc channel drives the 2nd "accent" kick in XO.)

So DC is running my two kicks and a snare over in another plugin entirely, so I can use "good" kick/snare sounds. DC is creating all the MIDI (combo of randomized and then hand-corrected especially for the kicks and snares), and then 5 channels out of DC are generating my top-loop sounds.

It's pretty neat, but I wish I could either get usable kicks and snares out of DC, or else simply reclaim those three channels to drive 8 total top loop sounds and then sequence my kicks and snares some other way (MIDI clips in the DAW). But until the global randomizer respects the actual sound assignments on every channel, I can't really do that yet.

Life could be easier if DrumComputer could play samples like a normal sampler :)

Yokai wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 11:18 pm Yeah, it's amazing for creating interesting (sounds and patterns) top loops. I basically mute channels 1, 2 and 5 (the kick, snare, and perc) and instead route the MIDI output from those sequencer lanes into the two kicks and the snare in XO. (The perc channel drives the 2nd "accent" kick in XO.)

So DC is running my two kicks and a snare over in another plugin entirely, so I can use "good" kick/snare sounds. DC is creating all the MIDI (combo of randomized and then hand-corrected especially for the kicks and snares), and then 5 channels out of DC are generating my top-loop sounds.
Great idea. I have XO too and tried to accomplish the same. Not working yet. Do you want to share your Bitwig setup for this as a project or preset?

Rivanni wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 1:15 am
Yokai wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 11:18 pm Yeah, it's amazing for creating interesting (sounds and patterns) top loops. I basically mute channels 1, 2 and 5 (the kick, snare, and perc) and instead route the MIDI output from those sequencer lanes into the two kicks and the snare in XO. (The perc channel drives the 2nd "accent" kick in XO.)

Great idea. I have XO too and tried to accomplish the same. Not working yet. Do you want to share your Bitwig setup for this as a project or preset?
Sure. My current project template has this all set up with the routing and whatnot. You can ignore the plugins you don't have. As long as you have XO and DC, you should be able to deconstruct what you need out of this. Just play the project transport and they'll both start going to town with turnarounds and fills and variations and errythang.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/brmy037b4v1hg ... e.zip?dl=0

Oh, and be sure to open the Note Receiver in the XO track and watch what happens when you switch between the two channels in the Note FX Selector.
DCXO.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Sugar Bytes”