Error: Couldn't open project

Official support for: mutools.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi guys,

All of a sudden I'm getting a 'Couldn't open project' error when I try to open a recent project.
I think it's something to do with ReaRoute (to pipe an ASIO stream into Reaper).
Used to work just fine and nothing in my setup has changed. I'm using the latest beta 8.4.15b on Windows 10.
If I select a new project, it will open, but I'm not getting any audio output. I can select ReaRoute 1+2 as an audio output, but no audio is processed. I also should see 16 ReaRoute channels, but only the first two are selectable.

Any ideas?

Andy

You're starting Reaper before MuLab, right? In MuLab Audio Setup, you've got Type ASIO, Driver Name ReaRoute, and Control Panel says 16 (ins and) outs? You're saying Select Outputs in Audio Setup then does not show all the outputs? (You need to set up all the outputs here before you can select them as Mixer outs or as Audio Output modules.)

(I've got start up scripts which switch my MuLab Audio settings files depending what configuration I want, so I can start with hardware outs or ReaRoute outs.)

---
EDIT

OK, I'd not tried that in 8.4, I don't think. There's definitely something odd. I tried to record a movie of it but the movie capture stops when the Audio Setup is entered, so I couldn't use the built in screen recorder.

Clicking the Control Panel opens the ReaRoute control panel but something keeps stealing focus, so you can't even click "OK", let alone enter values in the settings. (The Windows' [X] button still works to close the panel, fortunately.)

Thanks for your response!
Yes, I'm starting Reaper before Mulab.
In Audio Setup I see the 16 ReaRoute channels, but on individual racks, where I select the output, I see only ReaRoute 1+2. I have attached a picture - note how it says 'offline' at the top.
And if I select it, it doesn't process audio.

Andy
MuLab1.jpg
MuLab2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Are all the audio outs visible in the modular area? If not, can you create the ones you need?

pljones wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 10:38 pm Clicking the Control Panel opens the ReaRoute control panel but something keeps stealing focus, so you can't even click "OK", let alone enter values in the settings. (The Windows' [X] button still works to close the panel, fortunately.)
Just to confirm, I am seeing the same when I enter the ReaRoute control panel.

Regards

Andy

pljones wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 10:38 pm OK, I'd not tried that in 8.4, I don't think. There's definitely something odd. I tried to record a movie of it but the movie capture stops when the Audio Setup is entered, so I couldn't use the built in screen recorder.
Indeed accessing Audio Setup while using the built-in recorderr is not supported, cfr http://www.mutools.com/info/M8/docs/mul ... order.html

mutools wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:42 pmIndeed accessing Audio Setup while using the built-in recorderr is not supported, cfr http://www.mutools.com/info/M8/docs/mul ... order.html
Yeah, it made sense but was awkward for this one :)

Rhinetone wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 10:26 pm All of a sudden I'm getting a 'Couldn't open project' error when I try to open a recent project.
Please email me the log file of that session, maybe it contains a more detailed reason.
The log files are in your MuLab/User/Logfiles sub-folder.

Another minor weird one discovered whilst trying to show the setup. If I open the Project Audio Out "Select Audio Outputs" on one module, I can't edit anything else -- unlike other modules, where I can have multiple edit windows open at once. The "edit" windows for this are clearly some other thing as they forget where they were positioned (and reopen centred).

Anyway...
ImageImageImage

I agree that's a detail that could be improved. Not a high prio thing though, imho.

mutools wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:45 pm
Rhinetone wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 10:26 pm All of a sudden I'm getting a 'Couldn't open project' error when I try to open a recent project.
Please email me the log file of that session, maybe it contains a more detailed reason.
The log files are in your MuLab/User/Logfiles sub-folder.
Thanks! I emailed you the logs of the last few days. Hopefully you can spot what caused this.

Andy

Well received, thx. The "couldn't open project" error is caused by the VST plugin "AMETHYST3EQT".
Are you sure this is a stable VST plugin? From the fact it's causing errors with loading/saving its own data i tend to think it's not a stable VST, and so maybe best to avoid using it.

NB: You could try to recover the rest of the project by doing this:

* Goto MULAB menu -> Help -> Command Line
* Enter "confirm load vsts"

Now when you reload that project then before loading each VST there will be a chance to load that VST or to skip it. Skip all instances of "AMETHYST3EQT".
Now you should have recovered the project but without that one VST.
Save it as a new project file.

If you enter that same command line command again, then MuLab will stop load-check for each VST. (that command toggles MuLab's VST load check switch)

mutools wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:48 pm Well received, thx. The "couldn't open project" error is caused by the VST plugin "AMETHYST3EQT".
Are you sure this is a stable VST plugin? From the fact it's causing errors with loading/saving its own data i tend to think it's not a stable VST, and so maybe best to avoid using it.
Great, thanks for checking. I appreciate your help!
Also thanks for the instructions on how to retrieve the project. I'll try this later.

Return to “MUTOOLS”