Why you left Cubase

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

jinotsuh wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:57 am
Kongru wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:49 am
antic604 wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 8:21 am I got myself Cubase. And was miserable using that clunky, bloated and confusing PoS.
Go start a Why You Left Cubase? thread :D
I forgot about this one, can't keep up!
Signatures are so early 2000s.

I really wanted to like it (bought it TWICE), but below things just make me furious every time I try:
  • endless, multi-level menus, settings and preferences EVERYWHERE
  • high-DPI support is a joke: it's either 100% or 200% and if your plugins are not high-DPI aware (which is still majority of them) then there's no way to scale them, so go & buy a magnifying glass
  • feels shaky, as if all that you see was bolted-on an old, database-like framework and is on the verge of crashing all the time (and boy, it does that much more frequently than other DAWs I have)
  • touchpad gestures to zoom / scroll are basically unusable - it's hyper sensitive, jumping from 1 bar to 200 bars view or from top or the end of plugins list with a miniscule, gentle touch (works fine in other 4 DAWs I use or any other software, so it's not a matter of my setup)
  • simple, bread & butter workflows like modulating device parameters or splitting a signal into frequency bands, M/S or L/R and processing them separately in parallel require workarounds with multiple tracks
  • playback glitches and pauses whenever you adjust something in the arrangement or devices chain
  • it's the only DAW that's very sensitive to GPU drivers, as if it was a 3D game or something
  • there are basically no updates other than paid ones
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

enroe wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 3:49 pm
Kongru wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 3:45 pm I don't actually know. I love Cubase, but it never felt "right" to me.
Left or right - it is confusing! :help:
Yes it's backwards in Cubase. Ctrl+mouse wheel up = scroll sequencer right and ctrl+ mouse wheel down = scroll sequencer left.

I left a few times but always came back ;-)

For people who've left (or stayed) - I see references to Cubase being 'clunky' but I'm not sure what that means. What are the unnecessary hassles (particularly Mac relevant)?

I'm feeling like a more linear DAW might be more suited to me than Ableton (I never use the clips side, aside from having to tab over to see the monitors) - Studio One was good except for the lack of tape repitch (having to load a sampler to do it is annoying) and the way it handles overlapping audio, Logic (on a borrowed Macbook) did seem kind of clunky in the way hotkeys/shortcuts worked and I hated trying to use EXS24 for anything other than preexisting multisamples. Plus I don't know if my next computer purchase will be a Mac.

I plan to demo Cubase, of course, but I need to order an eLicenser since no Guitar Centers around me seem to have one.

About 20 years ago, I bought my first Cubase. It was cubase vst.
A friend of mine and me, we started a studio in germany düsseldorf and our first project was a xmas cd wie produced in the middle of the summer.
It was piping hot outside and we were recording german xmas songs :hihi: :hihi:

The studio was the near other studios and all the other owners passed our window
and startet singing xmas songs suddenly and had a big smile in theire face.

This time I used Cubase very intensely and it was rock stable and sounded greate for my newby ears.
We produced I think, 5 cds with it ver two years and I was happy. The sample player it had was emagic.....something and had a greate piano sound I loved it.
And the very first sample tank did spend me a greate symphonic orchestra sound I used very much.
Then a new version came out.
Dunno if I remember right, may be it was Cubase SL.
I changed to it and then :cry: :x the mess started. Not stable, sounded like sh..... and so on.
I stoppt makining musik a few years and changed some things in life.
Every once in a while, out of some sentimental feelings, I tested the newses Cubase versions and also found them somehow
slow ore sometimes hanging and not stabel regareding vst handling.
So I have been busse with other software.
Now I bought the Cubase 9 Artist again and staret working with it.
May be out of the good memorys with the cubase vst I couldn´t let go about Cubase and still feel some kind of love for it.
And this time it seems to work much better for me. :)

I left because I didn't upgrade two or three years in a row, and it just kept getting more and more expensive. The summer sale last year brought me back.

miloszz wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 6:03 amFor people who've left (or stayed) - I see references to Cubase being 'clunky' but I'm not sure what that means. What are the unnecessary hassles (particularly Mac relevant)?
For me that (the "clunkiness") represents the impression that it's all cobbled together, barely holding at the seams. Like for instance you have an old bike, where the paint chips here & there, the steering is kinda loose and imprecise, there's oil grease everywhere and you're never sure if brakes will work when you need them. It's all wonky and wobbly.

A lot of it is kinda irrational, resulting from my lack of experience with it and - probably - just my bias, but it's enough to go deeper into Cubase to see those 90's bits of code / workflow / visuals sticking out, which further reinforces that "feeling".

But I'm also open to the possibility I'm completely wrong and all of this is necessary for the complexity & flexibility of Cubase and it's just my tiny brain that can't catch up. Which still doesn't make me feel any different about it, though :)
Music tech enthusiast

antic604 wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 7:45 am
For me that (the "clunkiness") represents the impression that it's all cobbled together, barely holding at the seams. Like for instance you have an old bike, where the paint chips here & there, the steering is kinda loose and imprecise, there's oil grease everywhere and you're never sure if brakes will work when you need them. It's all wonky and wobbly.

A lot of it is kinda irrational, resulting from my lack of experience with it and - probably - just my bias, but it's enough to go deeper into Cubase to see those 90's bits of code / workflow / visuals sticking out, which further reinforces that "feeling".
So kinda like SONAR or Cakewalk (CbB) then?
Say NO to CLAP!

jinotsuh wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 8:32 am
antic604 wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 7:45 am

So kinda like SONAR or Cakewalk (CbB) then?
Maybe, I never tried it.
Music tech enthusiast

I like Cubase but the downside is that lack of live chat support for none US user.
there upgrading price is getting significantly more and more expensive if you don't upgrade each year.
and the offer promotion on cubase very rarely.

I still have it, v10 pro but uninstalled. My workflow includes lot of Acustica Audio products but Cubase used to crash everytime when I tried to unload them. Steinberg would put blame on AA, AA on Steinberg and both on my system. Didn't find any workaround as well. Also it was becoming a bloatware. Then I bought Studio 1 for cheap on Black Friday. No issues, same system.

This kind of stuff.
Can’t have a client coming in and hope the whole thing starts without tantrums
4C249453-F474-4B2D-9D70-0FA00D9AC7B7.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
He tried to play bass.
www.jordanbrown.co.uk

Being able to plug in your dongles in your monitor is pretty cool though. :)

Yeah, I got this HP monitor second hand a few years ago, cheap as chips.
It doubles as a USB hub and has four sockets. It's the little things :)
chk071 wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:11 am Being able to plug in your dongles in your monitor is pretty cool though. :)
He tried to play bass.
www.jordanbrown.co.uk

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”