Genesis Pro

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Genesis Pro The Sound Experience

chk071 wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:13 pm At which price point am I allowed to complain? AIR Hybrid 3 was basically given away for a Euro as well. Am I allowed to complain about its shortcomings when I paid full price for it?

Your arguing doesn't make sense at all.
Good point. I've seen people slag Hybrid 3 and like you said it's been on offer for $1 more than once.... :shrug:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

AnX wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:10 pm
bermudagold wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 6:42 pm even if this thing crashed on the hour every hour with a BSOD, people would still continue to use and appreciate it...
i doubt that very much
than you most likely have a perspective shaped by a very limited sample set of experiences
I know many content creators who work with instability of all kinds daily....it takes them longer to accomplish things, but they plan for it and work around and through it.
It's called being solution oriented instead of problem focused....learning to make due with what you have instead of wishin for what you dont....recognizing that something is better than nothing,.....and appreciating that looking a gift horse in the mouth is missing the point
Have you ever been to the second and third world?
Have you seen the productivity being achieved with donated computers decades old?....I have with my own eyes...plenty of data points
Music had a one night stand with sound design.....And the condom broke

It's sad, that it'll be 32bit only, but I will give jbridge a try and hope for the best.
For those wo never used jBridge, it's a gamble. Some older plugins run well, some like to crash.
I know, it's to late, but if he'd sell it for 10 to 20 bucks, he could probably hire someone to do a port. I do also like the idea of a kickstarter campaign.
Either way, I appreciate his efforts and nobody should be rough on him, you're not obliged to buy it.
Who knows, maybe the ports (64bit and Mac) are already in the making??

Teksonik wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:18 pm
chk071 wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:13 pm At which price point am I allowed to complain?
Your arguing doesn't make sense at all.
/quote]
Good point. I've seen people slag Hybrid 3 and like you said it's been on offer for $1 more than once.... :shrug:
At a price point where the reasonable level of expectation is in line with the level of investment...which is pretty clearly not freeware or dollarware

Your also gonna compare a product in a long line of products from one of the oldest commercial entities in the game, where a previous expectation has been curated by a price over 100$ and an established baseline record of user feedback loop and support,.....with a debut indie artisanal passion project from a sole proprietor who is first and foremost an artist?....Honestly, I wouldn't see these two as remotely analogous
Last edited by bermudagold on Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bermudagold wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:17 pm with a debut indie artisanal passion project
Genesis has been around for about 12 years so Pro is not a "Debut" for Ummet.... :wink:

viewtopic.php?t=215407

Anyway I think you're getting way too worked up over this. Yes people are disappointed that such a great concept for a synth can't be updated to modern specs.

Yes some people are talking smack but show me a synth where no one talked smack about it no matter the price.

But if they weren't impressed by the demos so far no one would care even if it was 16 bit. "I wish it was 64 bit" really means "I like the concept and the demos". :wink:

Anyway there's at least a month to go before release so pace yourself. :tu:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

teilo wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:50 pm
rezoneight wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 1:26 pm
izonin wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:02 am There might even exist some options to use the synth in Linux and MacOS.
Dont know about Linux but there are no options on MacOS Catalina. If you're on Mojave or previous it should be possible.
Not true. If you have either a Windows VM (I use Parallels for this) or a Windows machine on your network, there is Vienna Ensemble Pro. It is a brilliant piece of software that allows you to load a VST in their server software, and connect to it with a VST/VST3/AU in your Mac DAW of choice, over the network, at low latencies, with full parameter automation, side-chaining, delay compensation, the works. It isn't cheap (€199), but nothing else works so well.

You can also run a Mojave VM, and use VEP to do Mac-to-Mac hosting for any old Mac 32-bit plugins.

Lots of pros use this to offload CPU-heavy plugins to external machines.
Why would I do this? Its like saying yeah I can get heated seats in my car by throwing a heating pad over the seat and plugging it into the cigarette lighter. I mean honestly yes these are options to counter my statement of "no options". But Catalina is 64-bit only. Sure you can run a VM or run the things off-system, etc. But at that point why would I bother for a $1 plugin? Too much work when it likely isn't going to give me anything that I can't get in the billion or so 64-bit plugins I already own.

If 32-bit is that important for you then running Mojave directly on the hardware and skipping the Catalina upgrade is probably the way to go.

SampleScience wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:47 pm
rezoneight wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:27 pm I don't care what the cost of this plugin is, or how much love went into it, if its not 64-bit its a non-starter in 2020.
Well, I think fanny bags in 2020 is a no go and I still see people wearing them... Even though they are the ugliest fashion accessory even made... I guess I have to accept that some people still use them in 2020 and go on with my life...
Yes I went on with my life and went 64-bit, because 32-bit-only software in 2020 is ridiculous.

rezoneight wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:56 pm
rezoneight wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:27 pm I don't care what the cost of this plugin is, or how much love went into it, if its not 64-bit its a non-starter in 2020.
Well, I think fanny bags in 2020 is a no go and I still see people wearing them... Even though they are the ugliest fashion accessory even made... I guess I have to accept that some people still use them in 2020 and go on with my life...
Yes I went on with my life and went 64-bit, because 32-bit-only software in 2020 is ridiculous.
I hope you didn't take me seriously, I was joking. :wink: :clown:

Teksonik wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:40 pm Anyway there's at least a month to go before release so pace yourself. :tu:
Are you saying that it is using PACE for copy protection? :o
Last edited by Ben H on Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My main tools: Kontakt, Omnisphere, Samplemodeling + Audio Modeling. Akai VIP = godsend. Tari's libraries also rock.

bermudagold wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:56 pm
rezoneight wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:27 pm
kenny saunders wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 6:53 pm
bermudagold wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 6:42 pm
Both of you guys are doing some serious wanking in these two responses. I don't care what the cost of this plugin is, or how much love went into it, if its not 64-bit its a non-starter in 2020. It sounds great and it looks like he's put a lot of work into it but again, 32-bit only in 2020 is ridiculous. Thats not some personal attack on the developer, and has absolutely squat to do with entitlement, monetary value of time, or any of the other nonsense posted above. I'm not offended by it, I just simply think it's ridiculous and maybe 8 years of work ended up being a waste of time. 8 years is a freaking eternity in the computer industry. Sometimes you need to know when to quit on something, labor of love or not.
non starter for what?...he's not asking you for anything...and clearly that's simply inaccurate based on all the people who are going to use it
Good for those people. But no its not inaccurate. 32-bit is a non-starter in 2020. If he can get people to buy sound sets, etc. for it more power to him. But from a software project view its a dumpster fire.
bermudagold wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:56 pm ...so its actually not a "non starter" and only perceived that way by you and people like you,...which clearly projects that you feel excluded....newsflash it aint about you, never was....so wait...because SOME were going to be excluded, he should have quit?...you're making a value judgement for HIS time based on YOUR needs?....and I'm the one doing serious wanking?...lmao...find the nearest mirror friend
Buddy, I know you probably love to think you're being real clever here trying to psychoanalyze people over forums but I ain't the one projecting anything. And because you're doing a piss-poor job on your psychoanalysis gig here's the truth: I don't feel excluded at all. I'm a Mac user, thus apparently have money, so I can apparently afford "pro plugs" too, isn't that what you said? I've got more than enough instrument plugins to keep me busy for years.

In 2012 32-bit was a non-issue. 8 years later of grinding on using the same software while the rest of the world is passing you by from a tech standpoint? Yeah he should have quit if he wasn't going to try to adapt. Yep, that's me making a value judgement that has f**k-all to do with my needs. Its the funny thing about forums like this, one can make pretty much whatever value judgement they want, just like you've done. You don't have to agree with me, your prerogative. But I promise I won't say another thing about it so as not to offend your delicate sensibilities. :lol:
Last edited by rezoneight on Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

SampleScience wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:07 am
rezoneight wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:56 pm
I hope you didn't take me seriously, I was joking. :wink: :clown:
When you mentioned fanny packs? God no ;) Just beating a dead horse.

SampleScience wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 5:55 pm
recursive one wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 8:16 am 20-25k :o
I realize it must be an extremely laborious effort, but that price... Was it ever actually done in human history?
Like kv331 said, it's actually a low number. It's more likely 30k and up. Just to give you an idea, a simple effect would be 10k. Developers aren't cheap, they are in demand and if they want they can work for companies that pay 300$ per hour.
Development isn't cheap, but $300/hr is over $600k annually, and there are not a lot of developers making that much. Throughout much of the USA a senior software engineer might average $55/hr depending on skill set.
Even if the piano player can't play, keep the party going.
http://www.soundclick.com/mumpcake
https://mumpfucious.wordpress.com/

Teksonik wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:40 pm
bermudagold wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:17 pm with a debut indie artisanal passion project
Genesis has been around for about 12 years so Pro is not a "Debut" for Ummet.... :wink:

viewtopic.php?t=215407

Anyway I think you're getting way too worked up over this. Yes people are disappointed that such a great concept for a synth can't be updated to modern specs.

Yes some people are talking smack but show me a synth where no one talked smack about it no matter the price.

But if they weren't impressed by the demos so far no one would care even if it was 16 bit. "I wish it was 64 bit" really means "I like the concept and the demos". :wink:

Anyway there's at least a month to go before release so pace yourself. :tu:
so basically the evolution of the same debut product then right?...was always essentially free, never really a commercial entity, no other product catalog....to me the point still stands
not worked up at all....just providing perspective by offering a contrasting viewpoint...no worries
thanks for the link

rezoneight wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:18 am
bermudagold wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:56 pm
rezoneight wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:27 pm
kenny saunders wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 6:53 pm
bermudagold wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 6:42 pm
Both of you guys are doing some serious wanking in these two responses.

ok...all of you're rationalization I'm fine with....cause now I know its based on some arbitrary definition of yours for "non starter" that doesn't have any real world meaning for a large group of people for which this is likely a "yes starter"....cool
My central point was always the negative energy around something positive,... that at the end of the day has no utility and is therefore unnecessary....
its a forum debate....say whatever you want....I just have a soft spot for arguments that actually make sense...go figure
And as for delicate sensibilities,...you were the one who was compelled to address me personally with an accusation, to which I simply responded.....so who is in they feelings again?
Oh I forgot...you're unaffected by this topic and it's unimportant to you...carry on

mumpcake wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:28 am
SampleScience wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 5:55 pm
recursive one wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 8:16 am 20-25k :o
I realize it must be an extremely laborious effort, but that price... Was it ever actually done in human history?
Like kv331 said, it's actually a low number. It's more likely 30k and up. Just to give you an idea, a simple effect would be 10k. Developers aren't cheap, they are in demand and if they want they can work for companies that pay 300$ per hour.
Development isn't cheap, but $300/hr is over $600k annually, and there are not a lot of developers making that much. Throughout much of the USA a senior software engineer might average $55/hr depending on skill set.
I was probably ill-informed, I got that information from people who programmed ATM machines and point of sale. Maybe they were trying to impress me!

Return to “Instruments”