Bargain Center: discussion, gossip, etc.

Buy and sell, post special offers, group buys, etc. NOT product announcements.
Gamma-UT
KVRAF
5268 posts since 8 Jun, 2009 from UK

Post Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:23 am

They’re different - HS3 is the Rompler version of Halion that has the full 30gig sample library. HSSE3 has a much smaller library.

telecode
KVRAF
1550 posts since 24 Mar, 2015 from Toronto, Canada

Re: Bargain Center: discussion, gossip, etc.

Post Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:52 am

Gamma-UT wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:23 am
They’re different - HS3 is the Rompler version of Halion that has the full 30gig sample library. HSSE3 has a much smaller library.
thanks. so seems it worth it to go cross grade offer if one wants halion 6 full.

Kevin63101
KVRist
360 posts since 30 Apr, 2008 from St Louis, MO

Post Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:17 pm

BERFAB wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:44 am
Halion 6 is great at full price, so 1/2 price is definitely a deal.
2019 BF deal was Absolute 4 half price ($250) which includes Halion, the Grand, Padshop 2, Groove Agent and a pile of libraries. If you're not in a hurry, waiting for Absolute on sale is the way to go.

I'm happy getting Halion, but with already having Kontakt and many 3rd party libraries, using Halion presets didn't make it a game changer for me.

Buckster
KVRist
122 posts since 27 Nov, 2016

Post Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:38 pm

Anyone else manage to get the Steinberg website to send them a trial key via email for Halion 6 - tried everything and nope :(

kidslow
KVRist
79 posts since 26 Aug, 2019

Post Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:23 pm

Does anyone know when the McDSP coupon code will expire? Is it a Valentine's weekend deal or longer ... Need to demo Futzbox in a complicated multi-DAW setup for a film and might take a week or two to fully evaluate.

escalona
KVRian
649 posts since 16 Jan, 2018 from Portland, OR USA

Post Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:52 pm

kidslow wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:23 pm
Does anyone know when the McDSP coupon code will expire? Is it a Valentine's weekend deal or longer ... Need to demo Futzbox in a complicated multi-DAW setup for a film and might take a week or two to fully evaluate.
it ends on 2/17/2020 (as advertised on email)
Presonus StudioOne 4.5 Pro i9-9900k Win10 Pro / Kemper Profiler / Bunch of old gear

Ou_Tis
KVRian
507 posts since 10 Jul, 2018

Post Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:28 pm

Kevin63101 wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:17 pm
BERFAB wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:44 am
Halion 6 is great at full price, so 1/2 price is definitely a deal.
2019 BF deal was Absolute 4 half price ($250) which includes Halion, the Grand, Padshop 2, Groove Agent and a pile of libraries. If you're not in a hurry, waiting for Absolute on sale is the way to go.

I'm happy getting Halion, but with already having Kontakt and many 3rd party libraries, using Halion presets didn't make it a game changer for me.
If I'm reading this review correctly, the only Groove Agent Expansion libraries in Absolute 4 are Prime Cuts and Rock Essentials:

https://www.samplelibraryreview.com/the ... steinberg/

Hmm. A lot of the other stuff in that is either already included in Halion 6 or has gotten lackluster reviews. The sounds in Prime Cuts are nice but I found few patterns I'd want to use without heavy editing.

Already have Padshop 2 through Cubase (and Retrologue, which isn't that great).
Last edited by Ou_Tis on Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Uncle E
KVRAF
11392 posts since 22 Nov, 2000 from Southern California

Post Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:46 pm

The original Groove Agent was lackluster but still really great for creating fills and a sense of liveliness, with subtle changes happening automatically or with automation. I used to mute the kick, snare, and anything else important, and just used it to fill in space over the drum parts I programmed myself.

Kevin63101
KVRist
360 posts since 30 Apr, 2008 from St Louis, MO

Post Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:04 pm

It depends what Steinberg tools you need. My point was Absolute 4 gives you Halion, Groove agent and a bunch more. But who knows when it will be on sale again.

BTW if you already have padshop, the expansions are very worthwhile IMO.

Ou_Tis
KVRian
507 posts since 10 Jul, 2018

Post Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:24 pm

Kevin63101 wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:04 pm
It depends what Steinberg tools you need. My point was Absolute 4 gives you Halion, Groove agent and a bunch more. But who knows when it will be on sale again.

BTW if you already have padshop, the expansions are very worthwhile IMO.
I see there are a few more included libraries not listed in that review: Granular Guitars (Padshop expansion), Triebwerk, Trium, Hypnotic Dance, Haliotron, Olympus Choir Micro. Apparently that's all though.

https://new.steinberg.net/absolute/

OneOfManyPauls
KVRian
941 posts since 17 Jul, 2016 from Wales, UK

Post Sat Feb 15, 2020 2:41 am

Uncle E wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:29 pm
Up to 67% off IK Multimedia MODO Bass, MODO Drum, and Crossgrade, starting at $99:
https://www.jrrshop.com/computer-softwa ... ate&sale=1
I'm in the UK and getting "This product is not available in your country." on the $99 modo drum crossgrade - is this really geographically limited? I'm getting a crossgrade offer elsewhere (inc IKM) but for a higher price.

telecode
KVRAF

Post Sat Feb 15, 2020 4:53 am

Hi, sorry for the n00b question. If one already has Padshop Pro 2 and RetroLogue (I have been able to make all sorts of custom sounds with them), what does having Halion 6 full give you that complements the previous two?

ChamomileShark
KVRAF
1733 posts since 12 May, 2004 from Oxford, UK

Post Sat Feb 15, 2020 6:22 am

HALion 6 has full sampling and synthesis functions. "Sample, Grain (granular synthesis) and Organ (tonewheel emulation) Zones with a remarkably capable wavetable and resynthesis engine. " About the only thing it doesn't do is FM.

Then it also has a bunch of multisamples in the same way there is the Kontakt Factory Library (although I think it's alot smaller).

telecode
KVRAF

Post Sat Feb 15, 2020 6:56 am

ChamomileShark wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 6:22 am
HALion 6 has full sampling and synthesis functions. "Sample, Grain (granular synthesis) and Organ (tonewheel emulation) Zones with a remarkably capable wavetable and resynthesis engine. " About the only thing it doesn't do is FM.

Then it also has a bunch of multisamples in the same way there is the Kontakt Factory Library (although I think it's alot smaller).
Thanks. Once again, sorry, dumb n00b question time.

I can load my own wave samples into Padshop and manipulate them and add effects. I am also able to do the same thing in NI Maschine. I do have NI Kontact 6 that comes with Komplete but I haven't really played around with it in depth -- I mostly use the instruments it comes with. What would Halion 6 give me that I don't already have?

updated.

nm: I just read up on them. it looks like its a competitor to Falcon and Kontact but *maybe* much more resource intensive. I will need to demo it. I seriously doubt I will ever be scripting my own Halion instruments.

https://ask.audio/articles/choosing-the ... r-shootout

ChamomileShark
KVRAF
1733 posts since 12 May, 2004 from Oxford, UK

Post Sat Feb 15, 2020 7:10 am

If it helps any, I use Kontakt to play back commercial libraries.

I use Falcon mainly for the synthesis and treatment of samples

I use HALion mainly for creating the samples in the first place. It has an autosampler so I sample some of the hardware synths that don't have presets. I do sometimes do granular and wavetables from those samples.

Return to “Sell & Buy (+Special Offers, Deals & Promos)”